Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Monitor PCs for business...ideas

• 26-03-2010 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I need to get 3-4 PCs for a small business. The requirements aren't anything too major apart from dual monitors. Obviously the more future proof the better. I've looked at dell, komplett, ebuyer, dabs etc. From what I've found it looks like the dell vostro range offers some of the best value. I also found the Compaq on ebuyer which looks like good value too.

The choice is therefore between the Vostro 230 + graphics card from komplett(the radeon 4350 seems has been recommended on a few threads here as a cheap dual monitor solution) the vostro 430 (with the same graphics card included) or the Compaq + the graphics card.

I'm leaning towards the 430 as with the i5 (which seems to be universally raved about) it looks the most future proof. I suppose it would be stupid to not update to 4gb of ram with this (ram about 20 euro cheaper on komplett then to upgrade to 4gb on dell)

I was then going to buy 6-8 of the benq monitors below as they seem to have gotten good reviews so far and they seem to be very energy efficient. Do widescreen monitors generally work ok for dual monitor setups?

Any opinions on:
    Which system to go for?
    Any better monitors out there for around this price?
    The monitor has both vga and dvi connections, are both cables or an adapter normally supplied. i.e. once i get the monitors will i be able to plug one into the vga connection and one into the dvi connection on the radeon 4350?
    Any other general thoughts

Thanks, i've listed the specs below.

VOSTRO 230
    Intel Core 2 Duo processor E7500 (2.93GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB)
    Windows® 7 Home Premium (32 BIT)
    2048MB (1x2048) 1066MHz DDR3 Single Channel
    320GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    onboard graphics

€319 ex vat + Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2
    ~€25 ex. vat from Komplett.ie

Vostro 430
    Intel® Core™ i5 -750 (2.66GHz, 8MB)
    English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    2048MB (1x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Single Channel
    320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    Graphics: 512MB ATI RadeonTM HD 4350 (DVI, VGA,HDMI)

€ 429 ex vat (+€50 euro to up it to 4GB)

Benq G920WL
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176581

About€90 ex vat each

Compaq CQ5306uk Desktop
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
    4GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    Intel GMA X4500
    Windows 7 Home Premium

~€380 ex.vat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Do widescreen monitors generally work ok for dual monitor setups?
    Absolutely, I use then all the time.
    They allow me to work away on one project while monitoring another one and/or view other work completely or watch tv/surf the web, etc.

For example:

291gkr8.jpg

1z661wn.jpg

Further example might be found in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055630422

These particular two are Hanns.G monitors: http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/d-computer-monitors,Hanns_G-114401

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OrangeDagger

Thanks Biggins. I've used dual monitors before and indeed it is great. I was more thinking of whether 4:3 aspect monitors were better than 16:9 aspect monitors in a 2 monitor setup. I was thinking that two widescreens might be a bit wide. I'm thinking that for reading documents etc. the height of a 4:3 aspect might be better.

I can see the advantage in displaying bikini clad women lying on the beach but unfortunately it probably wouldn't be no.1 consideration in work! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What kind of business is it and what is the requirement for 2 monitors as opposed to one big one?

It's financial services. It's mainly so you can have outlook or something open on one while working away on the other. I could see one large monitor being an advantage in design work or something similar but i'm pretty sure two monitors suits are needs better. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I notice the Vostro 430 has Windows 7 64bit?

64bit is much better than 32bit.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

I notice the Vostro 430 has Windows 7 64bit?

Yeah, the Vostro 430 is configured with the 32-bit version by default but you can get a free upgrade to the 64-bit version.

Does anyone know how Dell currently distribute Windows with their systems? The last time i bought off them it was an inspiron laptop a few years ago. It came without a windows CD. If you wanted one, then you had to burn one to CD yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Well, assuming you have a lot of 64bit software which shows substantial improvements over their 32bit counterparts, and assuming you don't have any legacy peripherals which do not have 64bit drivers, and assuming every piece of software you need to install will work without problems under a 64bit operating system, then one could say 64bit is slightly better than 32bit...but that is a lot of assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does anyone know how Dell currently distribute Windows with their systems? The last time i bought off them it was an inspiron laptop a few years ago. It came without a windows CD. If you wanted one, then you had to burn one to CD yourself.

Recovery partitions only now i think

Advertisement