Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do before I leave Galway...

Options
  • 26-03-2010 6:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

So I'm leaving for Australia on the 20th April and I thought it would be a novel idea to put together a list of things to do in Galway before I leave! Anything goes... started today walking around Eyre Square when a mate says "you have to get your fortune told by Madame Bridget". Done! Suggestions please...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Drink a bottle of bucky down the Sp'Arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Seaneh wrote: »
    Drink a bottle of bucky down the Sp'Arch.

Done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Beat all of the aussie/kiwi barmen in the salthouse in a game of connect 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Go down every street, every alley, every avenue, every lane, that shop you were curious about, that pub you are unfamiliar with, etc.

Know every inch of the city. Well worth it, you'll find gems and feel closer to your city than ever.

I did that a few years back when i was going to Dublin for a couple of years and i highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Go down every street, every alley, every avenue, every lane, that shop you were curious about, that pub you are unfamiliar with, etc.

Know every inch of the city. Well worth it, you'll find gems and feel closer to your city than ever.

I did that a few years back when i was going to Dublin for a couple of years and i highly recommend it.

Really can not stress this enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Visit the marconi tower in clifden, lots of history there including the titanic, the telegraph officer on the titanic was stationed there
    also if your into history check out www.abandonedireland.com theres some fantastic hidden castles, and mansion houses left to rot, after there owners became bankrupt from the potatoe famine.
    linnane is fantastic, the quiet man country is also, the arann islands.
    theres loads more but all depends on your interest really, if you wanna leave your mark on Galway plant a tree somewhere?
    you got me thinking now!! i would be so sad to leave Galway, enjoy your time left here :):)

** oh another Titanic link in galway, is Bruce Ismay the Chairman/ M.D of the White Star line, Retired and settled in Galway
    in Casla (Costello) in Co Galway (yeah im a titanic nut lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

1. Jump off top of Blackrock Diving platform (preferably into the water)
    2. Try a Madras Curry from the Market on Saturday's (trust me when I left I missed this a lot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Walk along the river bank all the way from Hibernian Boat club in Woodquay down to Nimmo's Pier and then on out through South Park (Swamp) out along the walkway to Mutton Island. Bring a camera and save the memories for when you get lonesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

head to the market on a saturday and get something off every food stand, then go for a pint in the kings head. when i leave ill really miss sushi lady and daniel the doughnut guy! nom!!! also cant recommend enough is goin to silver strand outside salthill and walking up the hill and down the other side. its such a nice walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Watch the sun go down over Galway bay. Preferably in somewhere like Roundstone though.

Also, come back and tell us what Madam Bridget said! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

go into an arts lecture in NUI... they'll never no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm loving this thread as I haven't done most these things. I'll be off to Clifden soon, and I'll take a visit to the market as well. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take part in the Macnas parade. (Might be too late for ya, OP but it should be on the list!)

Drum in Shop St or Spanish Arch.

Visit Forthill Cemetery. (Our first tourist "destination"!)

Visit the "fields" of Athenry - don't mention to the folks in Aussie that they're mainly housing estates these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Good call.

Coming from the west of the county where it's 95% football I've only got to a hand full Senior Club Hurling Matches. Well worth seeing. Make sure it's a derby match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Break into somewhere before ya leave and have a party there! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

majiktripp wrote: »
    1. Jump off top of Blackrock Diving platform (preferably into the water)
    2. Try a Madras Curry from the Market on Saturday's (trust me when I left I missed this a lot!)

What stand is the curry on?
    Govinda's?
    is it veggie?
    I do loive me a good madras... mmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

d-gal wrote: »
    Break into somewhere before ya leave and have a party there! :D;)

but where?!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

So I'm leaving for Australia on the 20th April and I thought it would be a novel idea to put together a list of things to do in Galway before I leave! Anything goes... started today walking around Eyre Square when a mate says "you have to get your fortune told by Madame Bridget". Done! Suggestions please...
    what did she tell you? is that the one in the tower at shopping centre eyre square? went to her on my birthday last year. nothing but bad look ever since. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

hyperbaby wrote: »
    What stand is the curry on?
    Govinda's?
    is it veggie?
    I do loive me a good madras... mmmm....

Big red mobile unit outside Sheridan's Cheese Mongers more a less, The Bean Tree it's called. Well worth it, if you're feeling adventurous get it with the pickled chillies....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Buy "warty Nora" or one the other similar characters a box of smokes or something you think theyd want. Then walk knowing you've done something nice but that you won't have unleashed a pestulance upon yourself because they won't be able to hound you for stuff everytime you're in town.

Also have a sly smile to yourself knowing that they will be pestering some poor person who looks like you or has the same jacket as you expecting stuff.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

They're pretty obvious but walk the prom and kick the wall and then have a good feed in McDonagh's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

A greasy snack box from supermacs eyre square while drunk as a lord

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Skinny dip in the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Shift a drunk culchie outside Supermac's

...just after you've eaten a curry & coleslaw snackbox

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Start a feud with a traveller.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

blond45 wrote: »
    what did she tell you? is that the one in the tower at shopping centre eyre square? went to her on my birthday last year. nothing but bad look ever since. :(

no, madame bridget is the one sitting outside the ulsterbank on eyre square.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Go to Menlo Castle and walk the grounds. Walk the Prom, but do it just after sunrise, the tranquility is beautiful. Go to Terryland Park for a Galway United match, and Pearse Stadium for a Connacht game. As someone said earlier, visit Forthill cemetery, and also the cemetery in Bohermore, find Lord Haw Haw's grave, and stop and pray at the KLM plot. Take a boat up the Corrib and have a picnic on one of the islands. Play a round of golf (if you are a golfer) in Connemara Isles, and visit the cemetery in Letterfrack

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Give O'Brolachain a kick in the nuts and rip clumps of his beard out. You will be a Galway Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Find a party in Glasan or Corrib Village [Wont be hard to find one :rolleyes:]

Buy Warty Nora a scratch card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

A few of my favourite gems are;

A pint in Hughes, it's full of real Galway locals.
    Reading the weekend papers upstairs in the Museum with the sun shining in on you, great views and peace.
    Rambling in the market and tasting the various niceties there.
    Coffee/pints outside Neachtains.
    Walking the prom and on in by the Claddagh.
    Getting the crossword print out from the library and sitting at a window seat people watching.
    Coffees outside Pura Vida, Im loving that place more and more.
    Drunken early hour ramblings through town.
    Breakfast in Cava.
    Gigs in the Róisín and Kellys.
    Wine and cheese in BK's.
    A one-liner exchange with the infamous Pat of Quay St.

It's a lovely day out so I'm off but hope you enjoy your time before you head off and while you're away obviously...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement