Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do before I leave Galway...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Coffees outside Pura Vida, Im loving that place more and more.

It's a lovely day out so I'm off but hope you enjoy your time before you head off and while you're away obviously...

I want to do everything on your list! Sounds good.
    Where is Pura Vida though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Feed the swans at the Claddagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

majiktripp wrote: »
    2. Try a Madras Curry from the Market on Saturday's (trust me when I left I missed this a lot!)

Since I moved to Dublin I miss this the most!!

Sit out side neachtains for an afternoon people watching and drinking coffee
    or Ti coilis!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Take a walk in Barna woods,go bushing in woodquay or down the swamp, visit one of the early houses.
    (not barr an challah of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Give all your belongings to jizzlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

chilly wrote: »
    I want to do everything on your list! Sounds good.
    Where is Pura Vida though?

It's the café just across from Jury's, used to be called Maggies if memory serves me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I'm leaving in a month. I've done a lot of the things listed here already but I'm sure Galway has lots more to offer that I haven't discovered!! Any more suggestions would be welcomed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walk the Diamond Hill in Letterfrack (yeah I know it's far away but worth it).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

ScumLord wrote: »
    Start a feud with a traveller.

This isn't quite so hard to do. All you have to be is better than them at something. They go quite insane. Be warned, however, Do bring something to spray into their eyes for when it goes a bit overboard. May I recommend Deep Heat or Spray-on Band Aid.

Don't worry, the local populous of galway will love you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

Walk the prom and kick the wall at Blackrock. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Walk the Line

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

take note of the exits

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So I'm leaving for Australia on the 20th April and I thought it would be a novel idea to put together a list of things to do in Galway before I leave! Anything goes... started today walking around Eyre Square when a mate says "you have to get your fortune told by Madame Bridget". Done! Suggestions please...

Looks like the OP has departed these shores.
    All going well, I hope they got a chance to do most of what people advised would be a good idea.
    Lets hope he had a safe trip and that things go well for him in Aus. Lets also hope that starting a fued with a traveller wasnt the end of his Australia trip and hes not locked up in a caravan somewhere or worse! lol
    Enjoy Oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Tedole wrote: »
    Go to Menlo Castle and walk the grounds. Walk the Prom, but do it just after sunrise, the tranquility is beautiful. Go to Terryland Park for a Galway United match, and Pearse Stadium for a Connacht game. As someone said earlier, visit Forthill cemetery, and also the cemetery in Bohermore, find Lord Haw Haw's grave, and stop and pray at the KLM plot. Take a boat up the Corrib and have a picnic on one of the islands. Play a round of golf (if you are a golfer) in Connemara Isles, and visit the cemetery in Letterfrack
    Yeah do this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

This thread just really proves that there is nothing to do in Galway!
    SAD BUT TRUE! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Maja wrote: »

Are you serious?
    Theres tonnes to do in Galway, this thread covers about 0.1% of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, no.

This thread is about stuff for a Galway person to make sure they've done before they leave the city (possibly for good).

There used to be a sticky of useful links and things to do, but I can't see it any more. Perhaps it's been replaced by the Summer Events one ... <<enquiring look towards Biko >> ... That would be a pity IMHO, 'cos it is useful to have a list of suggested things to do.

For the record, there is heaps to do, but this isn't the place to start listing it, I think.

You rang?
    This is the old sticky http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280266, have of read of it Maja.
    Oh and check the stickies on top of the forum page.

biko wrote: »
    You rang?
    This is the old sticky http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280266, have of read of it Maja.
    Oh and check the stickies on top of the forum page.

-hmmm, pubs, cinema, pubs, races, more pubs...:rolleyes: I know you all love your town and I admit it has its charm.. but I guess if you come from a big european city full of real events like big concerts, serious street theaters, good class night clubs (no offence - I have been in 5 in Galway and it was all poor) and more more more - from this perspective Galway seems to be quite provincial.. -nothing wrong with that, but it is boring sometimes... :(
    (specialy if you are not into races and drinking...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you have to stop thinking of Galway as a city Maja, because it's not.

Enjoy the nature and scenery around it, and forget about concerts and so on because Galway is a town, not a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Get a Credit Union Loan:D

Xiney wrote: »
    you have to stop thinking of Galway as a city Maja, because it's not.

Enjoy the nature and scenery around it, and forget about concerts and so on because Galway is a town, not a city.

Oh, ok -I thought they call it "Galway city"... :rolleyes: ,but if you say it's a town -that changes a lot. I have to start listening to the birds and stop missing culture and city life... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Oh, ok -I thought they call it "Galway city"... :rolleyes: ,but if you say it's a town -that changes a lot. I have to start listening to the birds and stop missing culture and city life... :(

pretty much, yup.

You've got to remember that even Dublin only has a million people. I wouldn't even consider THAT a city.

Xiney wrote: »
    pretty much, yup.

You've got to remember that even Dublin only has a million people. I wouldn't even consider THAT a city.

-are you Irish? :D If you are not I think you should better stop! ;) Of course Dublin and Galway are cities! Just a different ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Maja you are right though I think...of course a blanket statement saying nothing to do is not right but I understand what you are saying, it is very limited. It depends on what circles you are in as well of course but for someone with a limited social sphere / number of friends (Not saying you are a loner Maja...) I think what you say is fair. It took me 2-3 years to start liking Galway. Galway deffo has a wild, raw charm but I miss sophistication from time to time. Don't mean to spoil thread or knock Galway in any way just throwing another opinion in there, yo.

-well , I think I do have enough friends here - but how many times you can drink wine at home with them? :rolleyes:

Thread is now off topic and OP has left.
    Feel free to start a new thread but first have a look through old threads, things to do in Galway has been discussed a lot previously.
    Also if you could be more specific as to what activities you are looking for we can direct you more easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement