Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merged: Limerick to Galway Rail line discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Tadhg17 wrote: »
    Here is a discount code FB1052 giving 20% off all bookings made on irishrail.ie until midnight tonight.

http://www.facebook.com/iarnrodeireann

kind of irrelavent considering the Limerick to Galway line doesn't open to the public until tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I'm sure someone has already pointed it out, but it bears repeating. Irish Rails website is utter, utter RUBBISH. It looks like it was designed in 1996 and hasn't been changed since. It is impossible to find basic information like train times and ticket prices. Bus Eireann's website must have been designed by the same blind chimpanzee. I did managed to find the frankly breathtaking cost of travelling between Dublin and Cork and Dublin and Limerick, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Takes a bit to adjust to the website but its still fairly straight forward...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 finman

The cost from Ennis to Galway day return is €20 mon to thurs but get this it is €€36 Fri, Satand sun days it will be closed by christmas which is what they want anyway so crusheen need not worry that the dont have a train stop.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Messing up this Project making it un-usable is exactly what the govt wanted here.

Look what we gave you in the West and you didn't even use it?

• Advertisement

exioot wrote: »
    Takes a bit to adjust to the website but its still fairly straight forward...

That is the whole point of good web design, you don't have to "adjust" to it, it is user friendly and a child could use it. I went on it the other day looking for basic information on fares between Sixmilebridge and Limerick and couldn't find it. I gave up after 5 minutes of extreme frustration. I doubt that I am the only person to experience that. I found the information here on boards. Congratulations if you have the patience and perserverance to find any useful info on that hellhole of a website, because you need both virtues in abundance. Minister Dempsey said as much today, use the rail or we won't extend it to Mayo, they will probably cancel Ennis to Galway too, when nobody uses it because it is way too expensive and slower than walking barefoot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I gave up after 5 minutes of extreme frustration.

My father bought tickets of it last month, using his laser card at the ripe age of 64. Maybe you shouldn't be using the internet...

€20 for a journey that takes an hour and a half? Compared to €17 on the bus that just takes an hour?? I'll stick with the bus..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

finman wrote: »
    The cost from Ennis to Galway day return is €20 mon to thurs but get this it is €€36 Fri, Satand sun days it will be closed by christmas which is what they want anyway so crusheen need not worry that the dont have a train stop.:confused:
    It would probably cost the tax payer three times that weekend figure in subsidies. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

That is the whole point of good web design, you don't have to "adjust" to it, it is user friendly and a child could use it. I went on it the other day looking for basic information on fares between Sixmilebridge and Limerick and couldn't find it. I gave up after 5 minutes of extreme frustration. I doubt that I am the only person to experience that. I found the information here on boards. Congratulations if you have the patience and perserverance to find any useful info on that hellhole of a website, because you need both virtues in abundance. Minister Dempsey said as much today, use the rail or we won't extend it to Mayo, they will probably cancel Ennis to Galway too, when nobody uses it because it is way too expensive and slower than walking barefoot!

You couldn't find the fares info on the Iarnrod Eireann site because fares info is linked to online reservations and online reservations for that route are not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

Ya you can't get fares from the journey planner as this is linked to online reservations which isn't available on the Limerick-Galway route. Fares for Limerick-Galway can be found at the bottom of the page on the link below:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=686

Ennis-Galway day return is 17.40 from the fares index on the link above. Where did you read/hear it's 36 euros return at the weekend? a monthly return is 28.50 so dunno how it could be 36 euros for a weekend trip.

Irish Rail website needs updating but getting train times is fine from either the journey planner or else the printed timetables tab on the left.

• Advertisement

Found out today that a 7 day return ticket from Sixmilebridge to Limerick is 33.50euro. Seems a bit steep to me, I can almost fill the car for that much. Only two trains before 9am is a bit weak too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

They raised the price of ennis-limerick as well to match galway-ennis.

It's now 17.60 to get to limerick from ennis.

At those prices, are they trying to get rid of customers? I mean, who is going to pay that much for a longer journey?

The wife and I went to limerick last weekend and were shocked at the huge rate hike (it used to be €10) - takes 20 minutes longer via train and cost us almost €40. Who is really going to use the service at those prices?

I think they should make it more like the DART. I mean, I lived in Leixlip for a couple of years, just moved back to Clare last summer. From Leixlip to Dublin City Centre it takes 30 minutes, and costs €1.30. Thats the new rate - last year it cost €1.10 (each way).

Ennis to Limerick is about the same, so why is it €17.60 (return)? Same with Ennis to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

CptSternn wrote: »
    They raised the price of ennis-limerick as well to match galway-ennis.

It's now 17.60 to get to limerick from ennis.

At those prices, are they trying to get rid of customers? I mean, who is going to pay that much for a longer journey?

The wife and I went to limerick last weekend and were shocked at the huge rate hike (it used to be €10) - takes 20 minutes longer via train and cost us almost €40. Who is really going to use the service at those prices?

I think they should make it more like the DART. I mean, I lived in Leixlip for a couple of years, just moved back to Clare last summer. From Leixlip to Dublin City Centre it takes 30 minutes, and costs €1.30. Thats the new rate - last year it cost €1.10 (each way).

Ennis to Limerick is about the same, so why is it €17.60 (return)? Same with Ennis to Galway.

I got the train from Maynooth to Dublin last year. Fare was about €5 or €6 return. Sxmilebridge is hardly further in miles to Limerick. I will use the train once one way, for the novelty and get the parents (free travel) to bring the kids to galway for a day. After that I refuse to use it until its €5 return to Limerick.

Irish rail need to market the lines. There should be some sort of "rail tour" ticket for the summer so that people can bring kids to Cork, Killarney, Waterford, Nenagh and Galway from Limerick on a number of days for reasonable cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

They really do need to "cop-on" and sort the fares, train times, speed & frequency out; also to actively re-introduce freight traffic. All these these things would work in concert to make the line a realistic financial & operational reality!

May I strongly recommend that everyone (if they have time to personally hand in a submision by 16.00 Tuesday, 6th April!) writes to Clare County Council in response to the Draft County Development Plan 2010 request for public involvement.

They will also accept submissions by Email.

Jim Martin wrote: »
    May I strongly recommend that everyone (if they have time to personally hand in a submision by 16.00 Tuesday, 6th April!) writes to Clare County Council in response to the Draft County Development Plan 2010 request for public involvement.

They will also accept submissions by Email.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/planning/news/draft-clare-county-development-plan-2011-2017.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Balagan wrote: »
    Adult Single from Ennis to Galway Euro 17.40
    Adult Return Euro 28.50

So to go with the GF to Galway for the day will cost me E57?
    And I have to DRIVE to the train station AND pay for parking?
    SO I CAN TAKE LONGER TO GO THERE?
    WTF, am I the only one who sees that sh*t is fcuked up?
    Throw 2 kids into the mix, there's a month Diesel gone on one trip that will cost me
    5 FCUKING EURO
    in diesel MAX!
    yes, that REALLY makes sense. I shall be using this service daily right after I get a lobotomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can someone confirm these station addresses?

Athenry Station Road, between Church Street and Tuam Road, Athenry between railway bridges, approximately 250m from town centre.

Craughwell Possibly on laneway at railway bridge on Ardrahan Road (R347).

Ardrahan On Kinvarra Road (R347) 500m west of Ardrahan.

Gort On lane way, between railway bridge and bridge over Gort River, on Georges Street (N18 )approximately 500m from centre of village.

Ennis Station Road (R469 - Quin Road), west of railway bridge approximately 1km from centre of town

Sixmilebridge Afterbury (railway) Bridge, Shannon Road (R471), approximately 600m from centre of village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

So to go with the GF to Galway for the day will cost me E57?
    And I have to DRIVE to the train station AND pay for parking?
    SO I CAN TAKE LONGER TO GO THERE?
    WTF, am I the only one who sees that sh*t is fcuked up?
    Throw 2 kids into the mix, there's a month Diesel gone on one trip that will cost me
    5 FCUKING EURO
    in diesel MAX!
    yes, that REALLY makes sense. I shall be using this service daily right after I get a lobotomy.

Day return costs 17.40 - I'd quoted figure given to me on phone by Iarnrod Eireann but turned out that they'd given monthly return price.

Where do you buy your diesel?

Balagan wrote: »
    Day return costs 17.40 - I'd quoted figure given to me on phone by Iarnrod Eireann but turned out that they'd given monthly return price.

Sixmilebridge to Limerick is 11euro day return. Sixmilebridge to Galway is 19euro day return. Am I reading the above link correctly? Makes no sense that there should only be 8 euro of the difference, considering the HUGE difference in distance. 19euro to Galway isn't bad at all. The weekly commuter ticket prices are RUBBISH though. No incentive whatsoever to ditch the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Surely they should have started with low fares and if the trains are overcrowded increase fares gradaully to get the passenger numbers down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fiona7

Thinking of taking the train to galway from Ennis tomorrow.
    It's race week, the train should make sense cause traffic and parking is crazy. Can't find a price - except on this boards site. Can't find out if I can bring a bike and if so what will it cost! Why are there not hourly trains with special fares for race week??
    I'd really like to support this service but will probably drive instead just because of lack of information! How hard can it be to put a price on irishrail.ie??? Even the link which someone posted below, which presumably once had fares no longer has any!
    Madness! What planet are they living on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have a copy here: http://www.railusers.ie/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1167&d=1271045694

You should be able to bring a bike, but you might phone Galway or Limerick station to confirm. http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/your_station.asp?letter=G

Alternatively, (part) discounted bike hire: http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Scar001

Did Galway to Ennis yesterday.
    € 17.40 one way. Same price for return.
    Two lads had bikes with them so assume no issue.
    Train bombs from Galway to Athenry and crawls remained of journey.

Was in Galway all week so went by bus. €50 for a 10 trip ticket so €5 each way.

No comparision. Buses every hour between 07:00 to 20:00 both directions and faster.
    Driver even stopped outside Crusheen one afternoon to let a guy have a slash. Top service!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fiona7

Well, I did go by train Ennis-Galway return last sat after all. €17.40. Trains were on-time, comfortable and had space for bikes (but i didn't bring one because of the lack of info). Pity they can't put the price on irishrail.ie though.
    I'd consider using it again, but it's a real wrench to leave the flexibility of the car behind, especially if I was going anywhere other than the city centre.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭May Feign

sorry for digging this old thread up,but a load of us are going to galway this saturday for my 30th. limerick -galway,leave saturday ,return sunday. anyone know the cost of this as it is nigh on impossible to obtain it from iarnroid eireann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

May Feign wrote: »
    sorry for digging this old thread up,but a load of us are going to galway this saturday for my 30th. limerick -galway,leave saturday ,return sunday. anyone know the cost of this as it is nigh on impossible to obtain it from iarnroid eireann

Its 20 euro day return. Unsure what an open return ticket might be. Ring either station and enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Does anyone know the fare for a return ticket between galway and sixmilebridge.

That rail website is a joke, no information on fares, and they want you to ring a number that isn't free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Jesus, that site is dire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Looks like you've to go through their Contact Us page

http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/contact_fares_queries.asp

Agreed that their site could do with a major overhaul (btw I'll ignore the whole zombie thread thing :))

Advertisement