Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance paid out for lost items but...

Options
  • 26-03-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

...then they were found.

I want to know what the options are here: can you just return the old items? Can you return the new items? Do you have to return the amount in cash?

Can the insurance company usually dictate the method to pay them back?

I've searched but not found anything online (though maybe if I wait a week, it'll be behind the couch).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Did you have to provide any police reports or anything like that to the insurance company?
    This isn't a very common situation I would say since insurance companies are loath to pay out unless they are absolutely sure the items are lost beyond redemption.

In this case, I would think you need to get in touch with the insurance company, explain the situation and that you have already purchased replacement items, which I assume they have now reimbursed you for.

I would also contact the retailer of the item, tell them the story and see if they can refund you and take them back.
    <SNIP>

Edit :
    Just found this.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Avoid-Phone-Insurance-Fraud---A-Tale-of-Lost-and-Found&id=3865005

So it looks as if you need to ring the insurance company and send them the old items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If you found the items before you replaced them, you would be obliged to return the money. Seeing that you have replaced the items, you need to contact insurers to agree a course of action. They would usually take to original items as salvage but it might suit you and them to take the replacement items instead.

I wouldn't ever consider not contacting Insurers

Advertisement