Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it OK to buy digital equipments online?

• 26-03-2010 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

:confused:Well, i am a photographing lover, and i need a high-end digital camera, but i don't have that much moeny, and i heard that it is cheap online, but i want to know is it ok to buy this kind of thing online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Orly

Yes. Yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I just bought a Canon EOS 450D on eBay for €450 when it would have been at least €635 in a shop here. It only has 90 day warranty but after reading reviews and asking advice from more knowledgable people than me I got it. It's perfect. Working away fine and getting some nice shots while learning the difference between ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

Only problem is now I want a bigger lens and a tripod and some filters and i'll need a bigger case! I'm glad my birthdays not too far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 freddyhard

i've found good deals on pixmania.ie. in fact i only buy online, because i've had 3 bad experiences with 3 different shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

+1.. got my 350d off pixmania last year... way cheaper than in shops over here!!

What i did was suss out the cameras in the shops.. get opinions and quick demo's then bought it online..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Start here on adverts.ie - always a good deal to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's just like Bricks & Mortar shops, there are some places which are good & trustwrthy & others you should steer well clear.

There are probably more rip-off merchants online as they can disapear quickly. You can make savings online but not as much as you used to. If you are buying outside of the EU then you have to factor in VAT, Duty & Fees onto the price. You should also beware of prices that look too good to be true as generally they are & you will lose your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I bought my first dslr through adverts.ie just this week. Personally, I prefer to buy things in person, but also like a bargain. Used trading sites are perfect for this. Meeting the seller in person means you get to handle the goods, plus you get a good impression of the seller, I could tell right away the guy I bought from was an enthusiast like myself [He has his new Canon, that he also bought on adverts, around his neck when we met] and not just some geezer offloading dodgy goods.

I also got a wireless remote for free after chatting to him for a few minutes, that wasn't part of the deal but he obviously felt I was genuine too and well into this photography thing, so he gave it as a bonus. Nice :)

You might find a full frame going for much cheaper than new online prices, and you'll probably get some extras too. Anyone with a full frame trading up will have looked after it well.

CabanSail wrote: »
    There are probably more rip-off merchants online as they can disapear quickly.
    keeping in mind we have a rip off culture here in ireland. i got my k20 with 2 lenses, camera bag and extra battery for €1180 from pixmania (the second lens is around £300 that i can see in magazines). i priced the k10 with the older 18-55mm lens in cork for €1300.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    ... You should also beware of prices that look too good to be true as generally they are & you will lose your money.
    i am curious as to what you mean by this statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

freddyhard wrote: »
    i am curious as to what you mean by this statement.

Cabansail can drop an answer in himself but we regularly have queries on the forum along the lines of;

"I just located a 5DMkII for €50 - does that sound too good to be true?"

Typically it is too good to be true.

I'd expect that is what cabansail was referring to .

I think he means if you spot something at a strangely low price, say a Nikon D300, for €400 ... it is really too good to be true, so probably isn't ... true.

gumtree is notorious for that. I got all excited when I first started to check on their for bargains, that is what they [dodgy geezers] prey on.

I seen A sony A700 with a tonne of lenses going for €400, when I inquired I got a mail back telling me they were away in London, but if I gave all my details and forwarded on the funds they would send on the camera and cover postage ... HA! I got the EXACT same reply on 2 more suspiciously low priced cameras. I reported the ads as scam.

They were all from Kildare, apparently. So do beware of very good 'bargains'

[edit] Was typing as you posted AnCatDubh, but yeah, exactly that in short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

NothingMan wrote: »
    Only problem is now I want a bigger lens and a tripod and some filters and i'll need a bigger case! I'm glad my birthdays not too far off.

What? You don't get socks for your birthday like 99% of the worlds population. :) I'll be lucky to get a card. :(

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    "I just located a 5DMkII for €50 - does that sound too good to be true?"

my first google hit for the 5DMkII got the body for $1800. if someone wasn't suspicious then it's the fool being parted with their money. i always read from a couple of different websites about a product before i buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Orly wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it is.

orly? could you explain further?

sorry I couldn't help it :P

ebay is always good, I think i've bought about 80% of my gear on ebay. The rest is through adverts and occasionally in from a shop (small things like film)

Just read the users feedback etc before buying.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

:confused:Well, i am a photographing lover,

Kinky!
    and i need a high-end digital camera, but i don't have that much moeny,

High-end and cheap tend to me mutually exclusive. Although you will sometimes find older high-end cameras at reasonable prices on adverts.ie
    and i heard that it is cheap online,

It is usually cheaper on-line. Don't assume that this will always be the case. Have a look in the local shops first. I recently bought my first DSLR from a local shop (Argos) because the price was close to on-line prices. I bought lenses and other accessories on eBay because they were much cheaper than local prices.
    but i want to know is it ok to buy this kind of thing online?

It is generally ok, but you need to be very cautious. On auction sites like eBay, check sellers feedback carefully. Don't just glance at the percentage rating, read the comments and pay particular attention to any negative feedback. Paying by credit card via Paypal gives you two extra layers of protection against fraud or lost goods.

I have bought lots of stuff on eBay and so far, it has been a positive experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

:confused:Well, i am a photographing lover, and i need a high-end digital camera, but i don't have that much moeny, and i heard that it is cheap online, but i want to know is it ok to buy this kind of thing online?

What do you mean by high end?

a digital SLR?

A pro dslr?

It is cheaper online. online shops don't have the expense of premesis (or sometimes stock they order a camera from suppliers and post it on to you)

plenty of reputable places on Ebay,
    Amazon is good but they sometimes don't post to ireland but Amazon merchants do. check the faq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pointshootrpt

A friend of mine just asked me about this camera and asked if i thought it was a good deal

<snip>

(mods feel free to remove link if not allowed)

Basically here you have a camera for 54 euro. 100 positive feedback reviews.sounds good.

Then when you check the feedback you see all the feedback was left yesterday. When you check who left the feedback you can see most of those people joined ebay in Feb of this year.

Thats what they mean when its too good to be true. My mate was going to chance it anyway just in case it was the bargain of the century. I talked him out it.

Man, someone try that, if it works I'm a gettin' me one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

yes its perfectly ok to buy stuff online. I bought, among other things, a Nikon D700 and saved myself €1000

Just make sure you check their negative feedback and avoid people with numerous complaints about products not being as advertised (on ebay that is).
    If not, I would also recommend using a reputable website. Plenty of links in the photography board (someone will link it for you, I am sure, feeling very lazy today)

I would also say that I would have no problem buying in from Hong Kong. In fact I will be spending 2-3k more soon enough. Again, just do your research and if in doubt ask the seller. Most will reply as soon as they log back in again. Also, a lot of HK suppliers will have office numbers you can ring and they will speak English. I have contacted 2 out of 3 of my last 3 big buys as I had questions that were not answered properly by PM's. You just have to put up with having to call them at their office hours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just to let anybody know that went to that ebay account, it's a scam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

His account is now closed. Ebay are very good with these sort of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

He has another account with most of the same listings that is still open. A few people have reported it though :pac:

Advertisement