Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBay custom suits (not spam!)

• 26-03-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

No, this isn't an ad for getting custom suits on eBay!

I am wondering if anybody has experience with them though. For 100 euro, you appear to be able to get a 100% wool suit, in your own measurements, delivered in 4-6 weeks from sellers with 100% ratings. There's quite a lot of customizing options too like lapel size, pocket flaps, cuff buttons etc.

I'm thinking of getting a tux made like this. I might be able to pick one up in a high street shop for say, 150 euro, but then I'm going to have to get it tailored to fit perfectly and it will probably be a mix of cotton/polyester/viscose.

It seems like a clear choice and that the eBay route makes the most sense, but I'm wondering if anybody here has gotten one of these suits and how they would compare to the quality of Topman, H&M, Zara etc.

For this price I obviously can't expect years and years of use out of it, but if it could match the quality of a high street suit for cheaper and a better fit/material then I'd go for it.

Thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've bought about a half dozen suits online. The trick is to buy the cheapest suit available first so that you can fine-tune your measurements before buying a more expensive suit. Also, you should shop around; there are lots of online tailors apart from the ones on Ebay.

The quality of the suits has been a bit hit & misses. One has been magnificent and still looks in showroom condition while a different one started to part at the seams from the first wearing. Returning the suit is fraught with difficulties. However, over time you'll build up an understanding with the supplier.

Don't be fooled by the initial cost of the suit. By the time you've added all the nice touches such as lining the trouser, working cuffs, pretty lining, monograms etc., and the price will rocket.

Also remember to budget for import tax. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement