Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Year old Dragon tattoo

• 26-03-2010 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

As a 5 year old child who wouldnt want one of these?
    A five-year-old boy from Queensland, Australia was left with a large, intricately detailed, dragon-shaped scar after a henna tattoo he received in Bali left him with a chemical burn. His parents fear that he may be scarred for life.

Cannon Cribb received the henna tattoo while he was holidaying with his parents in Bali, Indonesia. The “henna” actually contained para-phenylenediamine, but no reaction was noticed until the henna wore off, leaving a large welt in the shape of the oriental dragon that he had been tattooed with.

According to the boy’s mother, Leiona Cribb:

I really hope it doesn’t scar. We’re hopeful but it’s the whole length of his arm; a huge dragon.

The scar is being treated as a chemical burn, requiring dressing several times a day and application of a topical steroid.

scar.jpg
    Full Story

So the question is, How do you guys feel about Henna tattoos on kids, like would you get them done to your own and if not, is it for the fear of something like this happening or for some other reason?

Tallon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

He is now the coolest five year old in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Tallon wrote: »

So the question is, How do you guys feel about Henna tattoos on kids, like would you get them done to your own and if not, is it for the fear of something like this happening or for some other reason?

Tallon

I think the most important thing to realise here is that this was not a pure Henna tattoo. The PPD that is used to make the Henna black is a highly toxic chemical, which as we can see can cause horrible reactions. PPD is in a lot of hair dyes and is one of the main culprits for people having terrible reactions to hair dye (think huge red, peeling face with eyes glued together....*urgh*)

I would NEVER have a black henna tattoo, henna is meant to be a reddish brown colour, and anything that is being marketed as henna that is any other colour will contain some harmful chemicals that should be avoided like the plague. Pure henna has been used in body art for hundreds (if not longer) of years without causing any harm to anyone.

Pure Henna tattos - yes. Any other kind of "henna" no way!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tallon wrote: »

Tallon

My kids are that tattoo mad that they dont want henna tattoos when we`re away--they want the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jerrinemitchell

I liked this dragon tattoo it is really amazing, he will be the smallest kids with the tattoo. I have never seen before a small boy with a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

When I was a kid I always got henna tattoo's when I went away. I never had any reactions to them, and as any other kid does, just thought they were cool. If you're paranoid about it then get them to do a 'test dot' first to see, after a week or so you can take it off and see if there's been a reaction. Personally I would let my kid get one (probably only after like 8 years old for no apparent reason). If you were to stop a kid doing every little thing that might possibly be dangerous you'd have to lock them in a dark room or something. No point living in fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Totally agree there is no point living in fear - that's just pointless. BUT. PPD is a dangerous chemical, you have to have a patch test done in a hairdresser or beauty salon if you want to have your hair or eyelashes dyed and it is the first time you are having it done because of the risk of reactions. Even then there is no guarantee that you won't have a reaction after using the same hair dye for years.

Having a test dot done is probably the only safe way you can let your kids have a "black henna" tattoo done. Personally I still wouldn't take the risk, but then I'm a bit of a chemical-phobe :o LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

It's techinally scarification lol XD but still he's cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dysfunktional

he's gonna be beating the girls off around the swings at break time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The kid looks pretty proud of it. Problem is, how will it look as he grows up and his arms get bigger? Will the scar stretch too? I guess at that stage he'll probably get a real one.

Advertisement