Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remote control of a heating system, options

• 26-03-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

If we take some of the most popular heating installations.

Oil + Gas in a standard 3 bed house should have a dedicatred supply feeding a fused spur that then feeds a timer/clock that conrols the on/off times for the boilers. There are other controls on the boilers and possibly other stats but lets leave them out for the time being an consider just the on/off control of the boilers.

Next we have storage heating, yes the time it draws power is set at night rate (bar the combie and panel heaters) but someone might want to turn the storage heating off for a friday or saturday night and back on again on sunday night.

So if we are dealing with on off control for each installation only, what do people think are the best options for remote control.

for example is there a time clock with wifi enabled to allow someone to access the time clock on their heating via the internet.

Is there sush a time clock that can be controlled via text/sms (not using relays)

I'm really wondering if there is a simple option for the average Joe Soap that will not require them to work on their consumer unit. Someting sits between the boiler and the fuse spur. Something to replace the time clock i guess.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

X10 is the most flexible I'd imagine.
    I set mine up & simply replaced the timer (which sits on a standard single back box.) with an X10 appliance switch. It is controlled by Signet (but any X10 software will do).
    Full calander control with multiple on/off which can vary from day to day.
    Cause & effect with the alarm can switch off if alarm is full set.Switch off after xx minutes if night set. Switch off if a number of windows or doors are open. Switch on remotly via text or browser.
    I know I am being a bit extreme here, but just showing how the possibilities can be endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what do you need to get setup

is everything controlled by the base 'transceiver' over the 'home wiring'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

so yours is linked to your alarm panel Koolkid?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

M cebee wrote: »
    what do you need to get setup

is everything controlled by the base 'transceiver' over the 'home wiring'
    Basically yes. The X10 interface connects to the mains & to whatever controller you use.
    Stoner wrote: »
    so yours is linked to your alarm panel Koolkid?
    Yes Stoner. The SigNet has full X10 control built in. Just add the interface & SigNet software controls everything.
    If you want to see a browser demo at any stage give me a shout.
    I can do it all from a PC or my mobile.

update.

I 'd like to go ahead with this, i.e to be able to text on/off to my heating. I had a look at the alarm panel, it's in the attic by the way:)

anyway I did not open it, its about 6 years old and is just a white box, something similar to the boxes that I use to put in many moons ago.

It says nothing except HKC SecureWatch on the front of it.

So do I need a new panel? if so any rough idea what it will cost. Bear in mind that I have no wired phone line, I am now with UPC, and patching an alarm panel to the internet is very easy they are beside each other.

So I want to be able to have text monitoring and on off control of my central heating. The web access would be nice too, I assume there might even be an iphone app for it now.

thanks again in advance

• Advertisement

A SigNet 220ip and keypad would be around €350.
    GSM digi for text around €250
    You would better getting X10 devices and interface online.
    I am on mobile at the moment.
    I will post up a link later.

so i'd need an x10 device too so? for the timer on the heating, or does t link to a contactor o/p

You could use an output but X10 would give you much more control IMO.

koolkid wrote: »
    You would better getting X10 devices and interface online.
    I am on mobile at the moment.
    I will post up a link later.

This site is very reasonable.
    http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/home-automation-plug-modules-c-140_77.html?osCsid=o17lnl21647tf4j3o76lc907t5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Very interesting devices there koolkid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could have a look at the heat slave
    Alternatively a cheap gsm unit with a few outputs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

A SigNet 220ip and keypad would be around €350.

Hi all

I have been getting a lot of info from this forum which is great but I have some questions.

Does the Signet 220p come with the keypad included?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

Yes it does.

It does not. You buy the panel, the keypad is extra.

Advertisement