Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Fr. Joe Young Re: Good Friday Munster v Leinster game/Opening of Pubs

Options
  • 26-03-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Looks like at least one religious leader in Limerick is sensible about the situation.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Broad-welcome-for-Good-Friday.6180066.jp
    Chaplain with the Brothers of Charity Bawnmore, Fr Joe Young, said that any protest outside Thomond Park would be "over the top" when there were more important issues to concern the religious and the city at large.

"We've enough of things to grieve about. I just buried an 18 year-old from suicide and look at the heroin situation in the city. One of the landmarks in the city is Thomond Park; it lifts people's spirits and gets more young people involved in sport, so they won't be lost to the drug barons. That's the way I feel about it," said Fr Young.

He continued: "I certainly believe in the separation of Church and State, and I don't think that this day of tremendous sport for the city should be dictated to, or that any faith be making in-roads into sport. This is a perfect example of a city celebrating one of its greatest venues and sports."

The former Southill PP urged respect for the wishes of others, even if that includes drinking alcohol on Good Friday. "If we don't we're lacking tolerance, and that's not a society I believe in."

"We should respect other people who want to enjoy the day in the manner in which they feel facilitates their way of enjoying the day, once it is within the law."

Now if only we can get the law permently changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

at least we have one catholic who is not so straight laced, and does not suffer from tunnel vision, some of our catholics should transfer over to the muslim faith, if they wish to be so hardline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ah this thread is just too easy. Think I'll let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

flutered wrote: »
    at least we have one catholic who is not so straight laced, and does not suffer from tunnel vision, some of our catholics should transfer over to the muslim faith, if they wish to be so hardline.

The vast majority of Muslims are not extremists. Your post is utterly incorrect.

It's a sad day when the pubs are allowed to open on Good Friday. Money talks though and people just want another day out in the pub getting lushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Fair play to him, sensible guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It's a sad day when the pubs are allowed to open on Good Friday. Money talks though and people just want another day out in the pub getting lushed.

It is a sad day when the people of this country are dictated to by a law which comes from the desires of one religous group to suppress free will.

Should all the hairdressers be closed one day a year to out of respect to Repunzel? Should red apples be banned by law for one day because Snow White got poisioned by one? Fairy tales do not have any influnce on law so, why should the biggest fairy tale of them all have influence?

The problem of alcoholism in this country is not going to be fixed by having the pubs close on good friday, End of Story.

Twin-go wrote: »
    It is a sad day when the people of this country are dictated to by a law which comes from the desires of one religous group to suppress free will.

Should all the hairdressers be closed one day a year to out of respect to Repunzel? Should red apples be banned by law for one day because Snow White got poisioned by one? Fairy tales do not have any influnce on law so, why should the biggest fairy tale of them all have influence?

The problem of alcoholism in this country is not going to be fixed by having the pubs close on good friday, End of Story.

It's not a fairy tale to a large part of the planet. It's a holy day and should be treated as such. I'm not a hardcore Catholic but I believe it as important as Christmas. Where will it end? Will they be opening Christmas Day too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It's not a fairy tale to a large part of the planet. It's a holy day and should be treated as such. I'm not a hardcore Catholic but I believe it as important as Christmas. Where will it end? Will they be opening Christmas Day too?

Nothing is stopping you treating it as a holy day but how dare you force your beliefs on everyone else. The Church has no business meddling in state affairs and that includes the laws of this country. Plenty of other businesses open on Christmas Day and pubs should be allowed to if they so wish. Nobody is forcing YOU to go to the bar yet YOU think you have the right to tell EVERYONE what to do to suit your own beliefs. Hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I agree with you 100% and very well put, why should the whole country be made to follow the beliefs of a fairy tale! Pubs should be allowed open any day of the week and if people don't want to drink becasue its a "holy day" then no-body is going to make them!
    If they did open christmas day, I for one would be delighted! I probly wouldn't go to a pub but its the principle of it, why should religion make the laws in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

RonMexico wrote: »
    Nothing is stopping you treating it as a holy day but how dare you force your beliefs on everyone else. The Church has no business meddling in state affairs and that includes the laws of this country. Plenty of other businesses open on Christmas Day and pubs should be allowed to if they so wish. Nobody is forcing YOU to go to the bar yet YOU think you have the right to tell EVERYONE what to do to suit your own beliefs. Hypocrite.

+1

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Last time I checked we were a Catholic/Christian country. Maybe you should leave if you don't like it? I'd rather believe in something other than getting locked out of my mind. I'm not 100% up to date on this story but I believe the pubs are only opening because of the match. Let's hope it doesn't happen next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Nah, man. It's about choice.

Last time I checked we were a Catholic/Christian country. Maybe you should leave if you don't like it?

Spain is a catholic country as well but it has a sensible separation between religion and it's laws. i.e There's none of this licensing restriction on holy days.

Those days when the catholic church had this country in a vice grip are over. Contraception is no longer illegal, mass attendances are down and children are no longer being abused by clerics.

Last time I checked we were a Catholic/Christian country.

Are you saying its written somewhere in law that "Ireland is a Catholic/Christian country."

I fcuking hope not, again the church forcing itself on everybody!

Last time I checked we were a Catholic/Christian country. Maybe you should leave if you don't like it? I'd rather believe in something other than getting locked out of my mind. I'm not 100% up to date on this story but I believe the pubs are only opening because of the match. Let's hope it doesn't happen next year :)

Ah, the old "leave if you don't like it" non argument. I hear that over here, from BNP types and Daily Mail readers :D Listen up, a chara; it's called freedom - the right to question your country and its institutions.

And who says everyone who'd like the pubs open is going to get smashed? Very presumptious of you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Last time I checked we were a Catholic/Christian country.

I would have another quick check there if were you.

alan1990 wrote: »
    Are you saying its written somewhere in law that "Ireland is a Catholic/Christian country."

I fcuking hope not, again the church forcing itself on everybody!

It's written into our constitution alright. Just a sign of those times

John_Mc wrote: »
    It's written into our constitution alright. Just a sign of those times

Are you serious? So even though I'm not religious in anyway it says in the constitution that I should be! Tis a disgrace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Can Zan tell me this. do you only eat fish on Good friday?

Do you eat fish on any other day of the year?

• Advertisement

alan1990 wrote: »
    Are you serious? So even though I'm not religious in anyway it says in the constitution that I should be! Tis a disgrace!!

Let's do them for discrimination ;)

Hmm. Can the constitution be sued?

zuroph wrote: »
    Can Zan tell me this. do you only eat fish on Good friday?

Do you eat fish on any other day of the year?
    I've actually been eating fillets of salmon three times a week since I started a diet last September. The diets over but I still have the salmon. Before that I think I used to have chips on Good Friday. Anybody who eats meat on Good Friday...well I feel sorry for them.

Anybody who eats meat on Good Friday...well I feel sorry for them.

Whys that?? I applaud them for doing what they want, not what someone tells them is right!

Anybody who eats meat on Good Friday...well I feel sorry for them.

Well I'm sure it's mutual. I certainly feel sorry for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I've actually been eating fillets of salmon three times a week since I started a diet last September. The diets over but I still have the salmon. Before that I think I used to have chips on Good Friday. Anybody who eats meat on Good Friday...well I feel sorry for them.
    Why can't you eat meat on Good Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I trust you feel the same way about contraception and how evil it is? Or people working on Sundays? Or not going to mass on Sundays? There are people in this country that don't believe in that religion, why should they be dictated to?

And I'd like to congratulate the priest in question. He's clearly capable of showing a maturity that is somewhat lacking in the higher ranks of his organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

It is sad that the church has not been banned from this country after all they have done, the money that has been bullied out of the poor worldwide to build the vatican, their role in spreading AIDS in Africa, countless lives ruined worldwide by abuse.

Stick Good Friday up your ****.

EI111 wrote: »
    It is sad that the church has not been banned from this country after all they have done, the money that has been bullied out of the poor worldwide to build the vatican, their role in spreading AIDS in Africa, countless lives ruined worldwide by abuse.

Stick Good Friday up your ****.

+1 anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Still does not make it any less of a fairy tale.

26480_357769904644_562934644_3398222_735655_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Still does not make it any less of a fairy tale.
    :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement