Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Fr. Joe Young Re: Good Friday Munster v Leinster game/Opening of Pubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

what makes those opposed to opening on Good Friday think that everyone who wants the choice to go to a pub, wants to get smashed??? I'm delighted they are now opening - but at least I and my kids can get to see the match. We can sensibly go see the match, have enjoyable time and go home again. No one has to drink unless they want to. The Church certainly didn't care about so many people for donkey's years when they were laying down the laws without a care in the world for other people's human rights. Its total madness that you could be served drink inside the venue, in the many clubs throughout the country that hold private club licences - and yet the law said no one else was allowed purchase drink because some religious person managed to get it written into Irish state rules many years ago. Not every country bans alcohol on good friday.

Get the church out of meddling in state affairs. Fair play to the Judge in the case for having the sense to see past the church dictatorship on the rules. Well done to Fr Joe too - a sensible voice of reason. If you want to go to church or observe a quiet day of reflection, then off you go, but don't let the church or anyone else think that everyone thinks that way.

Apparently they are thinking of appealing the decision to the Attorney General for a ruling - hope they don't. The state should just accept the decision and allow the country move out of the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

It won't be appealed to the Attorney General as the AG has no judicial powers.

The AG's role is broadly speaking to advise the State on legal matters. In this case, I presume the Gardai will ask for the AG's view on whether they should appeal the decision. If the AG thinks there's a reasonable prospect of it being overturned, he'll tell the Gardai this. The appeal would then go ahead.

As for the Constitution, the preamble does contain references to the "Holy Trinity" and "Jesus Christ". The now-deleted Article 44.1.2 and 44.1.3, which were repealed around '72, were far more explicit in relation to the special position of the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I've actually been eating fillets of salmon three times a week since I started a diet last September. The diets over but I still have the salmon. Before that I think I used to have chips on Good Friday. Anybody who eats meat on Good Friday...well I feel sorry for them.

I always make a point of eating a big breakfast roll on these non-meat days. Us pagans like nothing more than playing our black metal records backwards, drinking absinthe and eating jumbo breakfast rolls on Good Friday.

I always make a point of eating a big breakfast roll on these non-meat days. Us pagans like nothing more than playing our black metal records backwards, drinking absinthe and eating jumbo breakfast rolls on Good Friday.
    So do you feel better for believing in nothing? I doubt it. Telling me you eat rolls doesn't upset me it just shows you have no respect for anything...not even yourself. :)

So do you feel better for believing in nothing? I doubt it. Telling me you eat rolls doesn't upset me it just shows you have no respect for anything...not even yourself. :)

I have respect for breakfast rolls. You should eat one sometime, you might see the an image of Jesus in it between the pudding, rashers and sausages. :D

You are right in one respect, I don't respect your lifestyle...i.e your religious beliefs, but I don't impose my beliefs on you. You should refrain from being so self righteous in future...it's not very Christ-like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

I usually masterbate while eating my breakfast roll on good friday, taking the lords name in vein as I reach the end..... sorry thought this was After Hours!

By the way I'm all set for Good Friday. I've got my copy of Passion of the Christ and my salmon bought. I'm sure you're all doing the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Edit: couldnt be bothered

TheWarrior wrote: »
    I usually masterbate while eating my breakfast roll on good friday,
    Being a man and not knowing how to spell "masturbate" is a sin in my opinion :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Hey Kole Stocky Scarecrow, I think you need to open your eyes a little. Blind faith can be a dangerous thing. There probably is no God. There is no evidence for a God anyway. Why waste the one life you have by following like a sheep the words that are over 2000 years out of date, preached to us by a bunch of celibate males, most of whom are so far removed from reality it scary, who in turn are lead by a bunch a geriatric men who suround themselfs with incredable wealth but all the while leaving the poorest of their "followers" suffer in abject poverty, dying of prevenable diseases, starving to death and saying they will be rewarded in the "next" life. It is sick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Great ruling, common sense prevailed.

Its about time the country stopped being influenced by a bunch of child rapists and kiddy fiddlers :mad:

.it's not very Christ-like.
    lol :D so you, who calls himself a pagan, is going to lecture me on what is "Christ-like" (your words)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

EI111 wrote: »
    Edit: couldnt be bothered

Allow me then. I have enough self-respect to use my brain and think for myself and not be brainwashed by some mumbo-jumbo story used by a cabal of hypocritical power mad old men who have no hesitation in walking all over their own beliefs to protect numerous paedophiles who repeatedly raped and beat children and swore them to secrecy in the name of their god.

And yes I am happy to not believe in any god thank you very much. :D

RonMexico wrote: »
    Allow me then. I have enough self-respect to use my brain and think for myself and not be brainwashed by some mumbo-jumbo story used by a cabal of hypocritical power mad old men who have no hesitation in walking all over their own beliefs to protect numerous paedophiles who repeatedly raped and beat children and swore them to secrecy in the name of their god.

And yes I am happy to not believe in any god thank you very much. :D

What do you mean "Don't believe in God?"

Sure he has revealed himself as none other than Tom 'O'Donnell who performed a miracle in Limerick District Court yesterday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Ah this thread is just too easy. Think I'll let it slide.

I just couldn't let it slide.

I am shocked at Fr Joe's lax attitude towards the teachings and laws of the Catholic Church. :cool:

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I just couldn't let it slide.

I am shocked at Fr Joe's lax attitude towards the teachings and laws of the Catholic Church. :cool:

Maybe the divil has got to him and he needs a dose of exorcism?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

ive just heard its being appealed

will get a link as soon as i find proof one way or another

lol :D so you, who calls himself a pagan, is going to lecture me on what is "Christ-like" (your words)?

Yikes :eek:

I forgot irony and christianity don't really go hand in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just heard on the last word that there are buses being organised from places like Tralee and cork to come up to limerick to drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Good - the more the merrier and a clear message to the church that they no longer have any merit interfering in state business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

But if they do come, it wont even be worth opening the pubs as you are most likely going to end going home as it will be too busy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Point of fact, pagans do not believe in nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

too much trolling going on here., thread closed.

If you wish to discuss Fr. Joe Young's statement then by all means do so. however the sniping at one another and their beliefs will not continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement