Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero - Daily Data Usage

• 26-03-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi, I recently signed up for a data package for my new HTC Hero with a 250Mb cap. Having the standard HTC setup my data usage seems quite high. With the phone just sitting in my pocket it's still hitting around 5Mb over 12hrs (the other 12hrs is on my WiFi). Considering based on my cap I only have 8Mb a day that does not leave much room for anything else. In fact based on current consumption if I were connected to the network for the full 24hrs without doing anything I would exceed my usage.....

(for clarity I have email checking every 30mins, the weather updates from the Sence UI and that's all I can think of that should be connecting. Only apps I have downloaded so far have been cabbage, JArtel and 3G Watchdog)

Does this seem quite high or is it just a simptom of an O2 crappy 250Mb cap ? What are other people seeing on their phones, is their something I need to be switching off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's just a pretty crappy cap, it's 2c per MB after that, if your usage goes over 500MB per month, you should pay for the 1GB cap (€15pm).

Otherwise, just edit the apn settings so you can't use 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 misetusame

Ya, 250mb is very crappy for this type of phone. They're making a mint off charging per kb/mb/gb :)

Install an app like NetMeter to get a feeling of how much data is transmitted and when. I'd be interested in hearing other people's usage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd turn off the Internet access when not using it as its contantly updating stuff like weather etc that you don't really need updated all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I have had the Hero for about three months. I have it checking email every 15 minutes and I have a lot of apps on it including a couple of weather ones. I also browse about 10-12 websites regularly. My month starts on the 14th and to-date I have used only 24Mb. My phone is turned off while at work - about 45 hours a week but other than that I have the internet turned on all the time as I have loads of capacity with my 250 Mb a month. I have wifi at home but don't bother switching over as I don't need to

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

WHL wrote: »
    I have had the Hero for about three months. I have it checking email every 15 minutes and I have a lot of apps on it including a couple of weather ones. I also browse about 10-12 websites regularly. My month starts on the 14th and to-date I have used only 24Mb. My phone is turned off while at work - about 45 hours a week but other than that I have the internet turned on all the time as I have loads of capacity with my 250 Mb a month. I have wifi at home but don't bother switching over as I don't need to

That's what I was hearing before signing up for the 250Mb @ €7.50pm that limit would be fine for general use. I agree 250Mb is measly it's a basic add-on but still it should be able to cover your basic needs i.e keep functions on phone updated and a bit of browsing. It doesn't seem to even cover that :rolleyes:

Talking to another HTC user recently he's is like you about 1-2Mb a day. From the replys so far we are getting usage both like yours (1Mb) and like mine (5Mb+)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Just be warned that listening to streaming radio data can use a lot of data. I was listening to the phantom 128k stream and used up nearly 300 megs in one day (plus usual email/apps use). But for the days when I don't stream much it's probably about 5Mb a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

On my G1 I was at 20-30MB per month, that shot up with the Nexus1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I am on 250mb cap with Meteor and use less than 200mb a month (only use wifi to download music) with lots of web surfing and email/Facebook/constantly syncing, plus the apps you mentioned. For the usage you've said it seems very high to me.

Though I do turn my phone off for about 7 hours at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn I've had the Hero about 6 weeks now and 250MB seems sufficient for the moment. I haven't turned off any apps, I occasionally check facebook, flickr, BBC news and of course my emails.

OP install App Killer and 3G watchdog, they are invaluable.

Advertisement