Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake - Secret Ingredient?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have to make a Chocolate Biscuit Cake for a birthday cake soon, I tasted one a few weeks back that had some sort of caramel through it, made it taste a million times better and I would love to do it with this cake.

My question is, what to use to get nicest caramel flavour? I've been thinking of Caramel HobNobs, Twix, Mars, but I'm wondering has anyone any surefire ideas before I go making (and eating) 30 different experiments.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I usually add Nestle Carnation "Dulche de Leche" Caramel (which is just condensed milk which was boiled for couple of hours in its sealed tin and then let cool). I just substitute the syrup with it. And add a little bit more. Or a good bit more. :) Try it and you will find the right proportion that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I cook the condensed milk until bubbling, add a spoon of golden syrup, cook for a min or two, take off the heat, add some chuncks of fudge and what ever amount of chocolate you want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Wow Dream C, I've been looking for that stuff! :D
    where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Any Tesco. Dunnes, Supervalue - some of them have it in the sugars department, some in the dept for home baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

I use twixes, and maltesers, and usually choc fingers, and anything else I can find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crazy.daisy

Spadina wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have to make a Chocolate Biscuit Cake for a birthday cake soon, I tasted one a few weeks back that had some sort of caramel through it, made it taste a million times better and I would love to do it with this cake.

My question is, what to use to get nicest caramel flavour? I've been thinking of Caramel HobNobs, Twix, Mars, but I'm wondering has anyone any surefire ideas before I go making (and eating) 30 different experiments.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

I make a delicious chocolate biscuit cake which uses golden syrup melted with butter and chocolate before adding in the biscuit, almonds and raisins.
    It always a hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

crazy daisy that's almost exactly what I used, butter, golden syrup and condensed milk, I added marshmallows then. Cake was eaten today and had good reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

That might go a bit sticky no? Don't know if honeycomb does well with heat. I heard back today that it was very tasty so I'll definitely stick with the combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement