Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carzone price's?

• 26-03-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I assume the asking price for cars on carzone, cbg, autotrader etc are exaggerated... but does anyone know by how much? How close to the asking price are sellers getting for their cars? :confused:

Basically I'm looking at a car for €8000 (average price for the car on carzone) but I'm wondering how much I could get it for. My budget is €7000, am I pushing my luck?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The Bug wrote: »
    I assume the asking price for cars on carzone, cbg, autotrader etc are exaggerated... but does anyone know by how much? How close to the asking price are sellers getting for their cars? :confused:

Basically I'm looking at a car for €8000 (average price for the car on carzone) but I'm wondering how much I could get it for. My budget is €7000, am I pushing my luck?!

How long is a piece of string?
    It depends entirely on the car in question, yes the vast majority of cars on those sites are over priced, but it's not as if they are all fixed at 20% over price or something.
    What are you looking at? What are your requirements? Size? Engine size? What mileage are you covering? etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would assume if you look at a particular car type, the ones at the cheaper end of the list will be getting clsoe to a reasonable price & might only have some bargaining room but the most expensive cars on the same list are either dreaming or have thousands built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Are there any of the same car of similar mileage/condition for 7k online? If so then tell the seller their dreaming.

With a private sale the seller could be looking for a quick sale, if you turn up and put €7,000 cash in normal persons hand, they'll think twice about it. With a private seller you def have more haggle room

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

All dealers will include a buffer to cover someone with a trade in. Obviously if you don't one and have cash, then you are in a much better position. They also have overheads such as their premises, sales staff and warranty to include where applicaple which all helps to drive up the price.

Private sellers generally overprice their cars IMO but are more likely to drop their price if a deal can be done quickly.

Best to watch and see, the cars that are €8k now and are still there in a months time or more obviously are overpriced. Remember they are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 julies boy

hi
    dose anyone know what vans are geting at auction at the moment ;)
    by the way their is a no resierve auction on next week u would pick up a nice car for 7k:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

julies boy wrote: »
    hi
    dose anyone know what vans are geting at auction at the moment ;)
    by the way their is a no resierve auction on next week u would pick up a nice car for 7k:D:D:D

and then discover its been driven to bits and needs an engine rebuild :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

and then discover its been driven to bits and needs an engine rebuild :D

+1

Auctions are poor value for money these days, generally visited by novices who haven't a clue and end up paying over inflated, close to retail prices for junk with no comeback.

OP, there are plenty of commerical vehicles for sale up and down the country due to the recession. Check the likes of donedeal.ie and autotrader.ie. An auction is the last place I would buy anything these days.

Advertisement