Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Restaurant Reviews - Your Say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Parichards

tommo22 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like sour grapes. You create a new user name just to slate the place. It is your only post and you only joined Dec2010. I bet u are a competitor...

Sorry Tommo I am not a competitor but if this place is indicative of the standards available in Wicklow I kind of wish I was.
    Its a pity, Wicklow needs a good restaurant, I wish them well in their efforts and will always be open to persuasion that the place has improved. Although from reading the latest post on this subject it doesn't look like it has.
    If the place had been good I would have said so, it wasn't so I didn't. If the owners of this place have any cop on they will listen to my and the many other criticisms of their establishment and do something to make it better. If they don't they will go out of business. Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mysadlife

Black N Blue Grill is a fantastic restaurant, and a breath of fresh air into Wicklow. Superb food (I've eaten here 5 times since it opened). Same owners and head chef as Bates in Rathdrum (which has won many awards). The menu changes daily, and it is priced very well, for the quality of food.

I detect sour grapes and grieved competitors in some of the posts in this thread.

Try it out yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anne synnott

I am not a competitor just someone who abjects to REALLY BAD SERVICE and Bad Value for money with no apology from anyone on the night, we paid over 400 euro for what i previeve to be bad value I have also eaten in Rathdrum was really lovely and in Roundwood both really well run, but on last Friday night they girls were like headless chickens running around the place and took 2 hours to get us our main course, not a competitor just a very unhappy customer so unhappy;) that I posted this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Dudes & Dudettes

Word is that the Owner is moving staff between Black'nBlue grill & Bates continuously, net result is that its helping neither.

I was given a voucher for Bates and ate there in January.
    Most unimpressed by the place.

The parents also ate in the Black n'blue and they gave it an 'ok'.

Neither beats a 3 course for €15 out in Jack Whites :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jolly Days

mysadlife wrote: »

I detect sour grapes and grieved competitors in some of the posts in this thread.

Try it out yourselves.

I feel I have to respond to the above. I have tried it out , restaurant now has a feel of a grill about it , service was average , we had bbq ribs & the waitress enquired if everything was ok , told her the ribs were tough said she would speak to the chef last I heard of it. Had monkfish as a main , tasteless. Wine was good but waitress managed to spill it whilst opening the bottle.
    Black n Blue is an average restaurant, staff need to be trained. Agree with previous poster Jack Whites offers a better experience.
    I have no vested interest in the restaurant trade. Would love to see a top class restaurant in Wicklow town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, looking for a decent steak (no starters) in Bray on Saturday afternoon without breaking the bank, any suggestions please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a decent steak (no starters) in Bray on Saturday afternoon without breaking the bank, any suggestions please?

Martello

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Eddie Rockets Smokestack Burger (no relish):

5441419501_febe75a6f3_b.jpg

Holy crap the best burger I have ever eaten, fries were perfection aswell, well worth 10.50 with a big glass of coke if you feel like a shot of cholesterol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Holy crap the best burger I have ever eaten, fries were perfection aswell, well worth 10.50 with a big glass of coke if you feel like a shot of cholesterol.

Heart attack for table 3 please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

5441419501_febe75a6f3_b.jpg

I have had it
    Its edible...thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brayseagull

I've just heard from a reliable source that a steak & seafood restaurant is coming to bray, cant wait to try it, its about time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tony shields

Hi there

Just seeing if anyone can help me I am staying in Avon Ri in the next few weeks and wondering if the restaurant is any good to eat in?

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BarryAlistair

Hi there - looking for an Italian meal - is Ristorante Morsiani still open in Wicklow?
    Best
    BArry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Hi there - looking for an Italian meal - is Ristorante Morsiani still open in Wicklow?
    Best
    BArry

No its closed.

On another note I was in casa pepe (Italian) two weeks ago and the service was terrible Its was a party of 11 some of us were getting our desserts and other were only getting their main meal never again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BarryAlistair

Thanks, drove to Wicklow anyway and went to Al Mondo in the Grand Hotel. A little devoid of atmosphere, and toilets a small hike away from dining room. Food was excellent though :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

There's a relatively new restaurant in Arklow called The Loft which opened at the start of November - the chef Pat Lalor has trained with the best of the best and is turning out stunning food at bistro prices. I've eaten there since I reviewed it first on the blog and it's fabulous. Paolo Tullio gave it an amazing review in the Independent today & it's well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

babaduck wrote: »
    There's a relatively new restaurant in Arklow called The Loft which opened at the start of November - the chef Pat Lalor has trained with the best of the best and is turning out stunning food at bistro prices. I've eaten there since I reviewed it first on the blog and it's fabulous. Paolo Tullio gave it an amazing review in the Independent today & it's well deserved.

oooh sounds nice, where abouts in arklow is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Aka Kitty's aka The 56.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Paulo Tullio gave The Loft a great review on Saturday. I was there over Christmas and was impressed. Great value and good food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 diverbuzz

Pineto Classico at Merrymeetings near Rathnew.
    We have tried this chipper three or four times. Mostly because there's an atm in the shop next door. Never have they got the order correct.

The final time we went there, yet again the order was wrong. I think its because as you're ordering the person taking your order starts relaying your order to someone else while you're still speaking. This time I repeated the order and they still got it wrong.

Normally the food is ok, but reheated chips for an itica chipper is a definite no no.

I hope they see this and improve their service, I guess I'll never know because I'm not going back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Anyone else get Indian takeaways from 'Mirza' in Rathnew? It changed hands and name a few years back, but the menu and quality has remained the same.
    It's an hour round trip for me - but I think it's well worth it.
    Don't be put off by the appearance of the place the food is authentic and top notch.
    Sometimes, if the hunger monster rears his ugly head when I'm coming back from an overlong day in Dublin, I pre-order a chicken tikka kebab. Gorgeous, succulent cubes of tandoor cooked chicken, slathered in a mildly spiced sauce and all wrapped up in Naan bread. Consistently good.

There's a newish Chinese restaurant in Aughrim, Ms.Hung's. We had a variety of Thai curries from the takeaway last night - and I have to say that they amongst the best we have ever had.
    They don't use MSG, and the flavours were authentic and well balanced. Thai curries can often be overpowered by a heavy hand with lemongrass. Here the spices were used with understanding - the balance was perfection.
    If the restaurant is up to the same standard, it should be worth a try, although it looked quiet last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

slowburner wrote: »
    Anyone else get Indian takeaways from 'Mirza' in Rathnew? It changed hands and name a few years back, but the menu and quality has remained the same.
    It's an hour round trip for me - but I think it's well worth it.
    Don't be put off by the appearance of the place the food is authentic and top notch.
    Sometimes, if the hunger monster rears his ugly head when I'm coming back from an overlong day in Dublin, I pre-order a chicken tikka kebab. Gorgeous, succulent cubes of tandoor cooked chicken, slathered in a mildly spiced sauce and all wrapped up in Naan bread. Consistently good.

There's a newish Chinese restaurant in Aughrim, Ms.Hung's. We had a variety of Thai curries from the takeaway last night - and I have to say that they amongst the best we have ever had.
    They don't use MSG, and the flavours were authentic and well balanced. Thai curries can often be overpowered by a heavy hand with lemongrass. Here the spices were used with understanding - the balance was perfection.
    If the restaurant is up to the same standard, it should be worth a try, although it looked quiet last night.

Cripes an hour round trip :D I love Mirza's food. Best Indian Takeaway hands down. Well worth it in my opinion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Paulo Tullio gave The Loft a great review on Saturday. I was there over Christmas and was impressed. Great value and good food.

Must give it a try. Is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Is Jack White's still doing their 14.95 three course Sunday lunch special?

I was out there last year and what i got for the money i could
    barely finish.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Must give it a try. Is it still open?

Yes the Loft is still open, I'm another fan

barely finish.

Was there last week they are still doing it, brilliant value

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Gmol wrote: »

Thanks for that. :)

Might head out there on the 10th for a good
    feed before the big game!

:D

If we win it's gonna be an all nighter so i'll need some
    decent grub in me to carry me thru.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

barely finish.

Gmol wrote: »
    Thanks for that. :)

Might head out there on the 10th for a good
    feed before the big game!

:D

If we win it's gonna be an all nighter so i'll need some
    decent grub in me to carry me thru.

;)

i always thought the beehive was better than whites for food. 3 of us ate in whites last year and we all agreed it was awful

i always thought the beehive was better than whites for food. 3 of us ate in whites last year and we all agreed it was awful

I did the same about 3 yrs ago I stopped in and had a meal in Jack Whites and it was really poor

I tried it again on the 14.95 deal last week and I thought it was class, no comparison to the first time I had been there. would definitely go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

We are hoping to organise a family lunch out some Saturday. We are thinking of somewhere outside Arklow,maybe Redcross or Aughrim.Any suggestions?

Advertisement