Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of a dilemma

• 26-03-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I've a bit of a dilemma and I'm in two minds. Basically I'm between cars (waiting for finance) and was looking for something for a few weeks.

So my choices would to buy something very cheap (500e) and tax it for 3 months and hopefully resell it when I'm done. Or else hire a car for the few weeks at a cost of around 6/700 quid.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

largepants wrote: »
    I've a bit of a dilemma and I'm in two minds. Basically I'm between cars (waiting for finance) and was looking for something for a few weeks.

So my choices would to buy something very cheap (500e) and tax it for 3 months and hopefully resell it when I'm done. Or else hire a car for the few weeks at a cost of around 6/700 quid.

What would you do?

OK look at the maths buy a car for 500e (might even get one with a week or 2 of tax still on it) resell it maybe for 500e maybe less you will still have saved money and what happens if there is a delay on the finance (financial institutions are not very well favoured at the moment), you will end up paying even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was a case of having to drive around in a complete rust heap or a hire car, I would go with the hire car but €500 can now get you a surprisingly good car. Best advice is to pick up something with tax & even if ya never sell it, no harm done

If you can't resell it and decide to give it away offer it to family/friends if that doesn't work i'll be happy to take it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you buy a car for €500 then you'll most likely get that back. Assuming you have tax to cover it and nct than all and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Was kinda looking at an 2lt 99 Alfa with NCT till next year however no Tax on it.. Surely that would keep going for a few months would it?

• Advertisement

It might keep ya going for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Any 156 2.0TS that can be got for €500 right now would be a bucket of sh*te. Good 2.0's are a very different beast to the poorly specced 1.6 and 1.8's - the 2.0TS was the very best example of the 156 produced.

It might get you one overdue a cambelt change however - and you could be lucky. Likewise if it has any history you might be lucky for a few months but it would be a gamble. Cherished Alfas with decent history just ain't going for peanuts for obvious reasons.

A mid 90s Fiesta (or equivalent low maintenance box) for €500 with a valid nct and a month or two of tax would be ideal would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Any 156 2.0TS that can be got for €500 right now would be a bucket of sh*te. Good 2.0's are a very different beast to the poorly specced 1.6 and 1.8's - the 2.0TS was the very best example of the 156 produced.

It might get you one overdue a cambelt change however - and you could be lucky. Likewise if it has any history you might be lucky for a few months but it would be a gamble. Cherished Alfas with decent history just ain't going for peanuts for obvious reasons.

A mid 90s Fiesta (or equivalent low maintenance box) for €500 with a valid nct and a month or two of tax would be ideal would it not?

Nice one flames.:pac:

Mojo, you're probably right re fiesta. It's not as if I'll have it for that long anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I was in this postion, I wouldnt be going for a fiesta. There are larger older cars that can be got for next to nothing due to high tax & running cost. Now it would be difficult to get your cash back on one of these but worth it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I agree with the other posts, buying is the way to go. Get a cheap Japanese car with a few months NCT and tax. In your situation you could spend the same on car hire as you would buying a car and at least at the end you have something to show for it other than a credit card bill!

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check the bangernomics thead :D.

Advertisement