Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to R&M- Suggestions?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey guys, have just started getting into rock and metal music. I've downloaded a good bit of Pantera, Alice in Chains and a few Black Sabbath. I want to find more bands I'd like but don't know where to start! I love Pantera. The faster kind of stuff. Any recommendations?
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

john and edward :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

emo!! wrote: »
    john and edward :):)

Who? Thanks 'emo!!' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Metal 101 - Metallica, we've all listened to them, whether we like them or not :D

Give Ride the Lightning a spin.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Thanks ScienceNerd! I've some Metallica in my library too I forgot to mention. Will check out Ride the Lightning! Anyone else??
    I've been checking out some Iron Maiden too, don't like Run for the Hills but I like The Trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Well, best to start off with some of the old classics.

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller (particularly the title track if it's faster stuff you like)
    King Diamond - "Them"
    Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Piece of Mind (this is the one with The Trooper on it)
    Testament - The Legacy
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Hope those are of some use to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Arch Enemy Perhaps?

If you like fast you can also try Kill 'em All by Metallica.

Can't think of anyone else at the moment for someone just getting into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sepultura - Brazilian metal band. Awesome stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Id say if you like Pantera try Lamb of God, Machine Head, and Black Label Society

Also try and check out Tool give them a few listens as you mightn't like them straight away as they have long complex songs but ultimately it'll be very worth it..

If you like AIC bands from that era such as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, The Lemonheads, Pixies, Green River.. Also Alice in Chains sound was ripped by bands in the 2000s like Godsmack, Creed, Staind, Puddle Of Mudd, obviously nowhere near as good as the originators but maybe worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I grew up on Deep Purple & Sabbath, never enjoyed metal after that and then when I was nearly 50, discovered Children of Bodom and fell in love with metal all over again.

Recently also getting into Meshuggah but CoB tick all my boxes for fast tasty metal. Then again, I'm an old bastard so don't take my word for it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

old gregg wrote: »
    I grew up on Deep Purple & Sabbath, never enjoyed metal after that and then when I was nearly 50, discovered Children of Bodom and fell in love with metal all over again.

Recently also getting into Meshuggah but CoB tick all my boxes for fast tasty metal. Then again, I'm an old bastard so don't take my word for it :p

Children of Bodom are good for getting into scandinavian metal, melodic death or the neoclassical style so I highly recommend that.

Can't say the same for Meshuggah. I absolutely love the 'shuggah, but they are a very acquired taste due to the weird time signatures and dissonant melodic approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Not sure if it's heavy enough for ya but QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf is fantastic.

Also, good choice with Alice in Chains, I'd echo the above saying that if you like them you should give Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog, Kyuss, Mad Season, Mudhoney and maybe Rage Against the Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You could always give Music Map a go. Stick in the name of a band and let it present you with a bunch of other bands. For Pantera it brings up Fear Factory, Machine Head, Meshuggah and Lamb of God amongst others.

I'd recommend all of those bands, especially Fear Factory:

Can't say the same for Meshuggah. I absolutely love the 'shuggah, but they are a very acquired taste due to the weird time signatures and dissonant melodic approach.
    yea, they've got that going on. Maybe it's cos the whole weird time signatures seem slightly early prog rock sounding that it's so adorable (now there's a word you don't her very often when talking metal :p). I mention them only 'cos you could 'not get' lots of metal and 'get' Meshuggah, if ya know what I mean.

Malice_ wrote: »
    You could always give Music Map a go.

I love music map. I spent hours one night with my son playing a game where you'd 2 pick completely different artists and the other person would have to and see how few clicks it would take them to get to the other artist.

He won in the end with Frank Sinatra -> Carnifex, took me about 6 clicks if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

naasface wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

Yeah, stop downloading, Lars Ulrich is suffering because of you!

lol but no, in seriousness, I'd recommend some Faith No More, classic Guns N Roses, Five Finger Death Punch, Slayer, Pantera and a little known Irish band called My Little Funhouse, while you're checking them out, listen to Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

naasface wrote: »
    I've been checking out some Iron Maiden too, don't like Run for the Hills but I like The Trooper

:eek::confused: .... This thread is quickly going to decend into possibly the Internet's biggest ever pile of cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah, stop downloading, Lars Ulrich is suffering because of you!

lol but no, in seriousness, I'd recommend some Faith No More, classic Guns N Roses, Five Finger Death Punch, Slayer, Pantera and a little known Irish band called My Little Funhouse, while you're checking them out, listen to Pearl Jam

Now there's a blast from the past.

RayCon wrote: »
    :eek::confused: .... This thread is quickly going to decend into possibly the Internet's biggest ever pile of cack.
    Why? Just because someone doesn't like an Iron Maiden song?
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Now there's a blast from the past.
    They even have a MySpace page, check it out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm well depends what you really want to get in to OP.

Grungey - AIC, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots.

Stoner/Sludgey - Crowbar, Torche, Kylesa, Two Tales of Woe (lil plug for the Irish there!), Weedeater.

Metal/Grind/Brutal - Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Fear Factory, Machine Head, Man Must Die.

All are gateway bands. :pac: (Including Pantera that you mentioned, oh listen to Down too!)

You can do a search by genre on Metal Archives (http://www.metal-archives.com/), that and myspace are amazing resources for getting in to new stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Check out any John Bush era Anthrax if you are along the lines of Pantera.

You could check out "the greater of 2 evils", that's a good album with John Bush singing early Anthrax stuff.

Suicidal Tendencies "art of rebellion" is a good album.

Corrosion of Conformity "deliverance" and "wiseblood" are tops. Check out any of the Down albums, but I prefere Down II , a bustle in your hedgerow" or something like that.

I reckon if you like Pantera, you'll love Machine Head or System of a Down.

All depends what road you veer towards....

F**k it, just listen to everything and anything you can get your hands on...

It's all subjective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

MASTODON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

going along the Pantera line.. I'd reccomend some Down, Five Finger Death Punch and also DevilDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Malice_ wrote: »
    Why? Just because someone doesn't like an Iron Maiden song?.

No, because Rock / Metal has such a different amount of genres / sub genres / nuances it's going to be an impossible task to make any meaningful recommendations without this decdending into just piles and piles of people posting what they like ....

The OP then goes and further compounds the request by stating "I've been checking out some Iron Maiden too, don't like Run for the Hills but I like The Trooper" - thats classic era Maiden right there , with little or no difference between the 2 songs.

The OP might just as well have typed "I Like Music - any recommendations ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No, because Rock / Metal has such a different amount of genres / sub genres / nuances it's going to be an impossible task to make any meaningful recommendations without this decdending into just piles and piles of people posting what they like ....

The OP then goes and further compounds the request by stating "I've been checking out some Iron Maiden too, don't like Run for the Hills but I like The Trooper" - thats classic era Maiden right there , with little or no difference between the 2 songs.

I disagree - the OP named specific bands/genres and most of the posts in response have been in line with the named bands/genres.

I agree that it's a very wide open topic but it is Rock & Metal, there is a lot of good music out there :). In fairness most of the responses have been along the lines of "If you like band x you might also like band y".

If the OP had typed "I Like Music - any recommendations" the topic would have been sent out to the main Music forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

If you're into Pantera I would definitely recommend Mastodon, Machine Head, Lamb of God and Byzantine.

As someone said above Tool are fantastic, hard to get into at first but very rewarding in the end.

Also I think Opeth are a perfect gateway band to get into the heavier stuff.

Advertisement