Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cube or Specialized?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ride them both and see which you prefer.

Having said that the Specialized seems the better bike.

The big difference between them is the triple chainset on the Cube and the compact on the Specialized. So you need to decide whether you need the wider gearing of the triple or the better front shifting of the compact.

The Specialized also has a carbon fork which would probably increase comfort... Specialized have quite a good reputation for comfort in this regard.

The groupset spec on the Specialized is also marginally higher. The Cube has more branded components among the finishing kit but Specialized's in house finishing kit is good quality.

The Specialized is also cheaper. I would be getting that personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 the_doctor

THEWHELO wrote: »
    Ladies & gentlemen,

I'm looking for some advice on both of these bikes. I'm partial to the Specialized but a friend of mine is convinced that the Cube is a better bike. I've read some reviews and it sounds good but the only way to truly know the measure of these bikes is to ask the experts...on boards.ie.

So anyone want to give the tuppence worth on them. Which do you prefer?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=31888

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/45622/2010-Specialized-Allez-Sport-18-52cm/

Spec is an overpriced AMERICAN brand. Can't you find a cheaper and more suitable brand in Ireland? I consider Spec to be like the Borg. I do not like one-bolt seatposts and other cheap things that they throw on their bicycles. Their prices are high and they are substandard. Lots of guys have problems with the bottom brackets on the high-end S-works.

bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

the_doctor wrote: »
    Spec is an overpriced AMERICAN brand. Can't you find a cheaper and more suitable brand in Ireland?
    Huh? bit randomly anti-american sounding there....which bike brands are manufactured in ireland ? or even headquartered here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Spec is an overpriced AMERICAN brand. Can't you find a cheaper and more suitable brand in Ireland? I consider Spec to be like the Borg. I do not like one-bolt seatposts and other cheap things that they throw on their bicycles. Their prices are high and they are substandard. Lots of guys have problems with the bottom brackets on the high-end S-works.

bill

High end S-works stuff mostly uses BB30 - a different standard and one no one seems to have fully mastered yet.

I've ridden that cube frame as part of the streamer bike. Very rigid and responsive, but I would NOT want to ride it with an alu fork. In Ireland the road buzz would drive me mental.

I would take the specialized every time.

Spec is an overpriced AMERICAN brand. Can't you find a cheaper and more suitable brand in Ireland?
    Indeed, you should be looking at something more like this

52374684_faa75036e0.jpg

• Advertisement

Huh? bit randomly anti-american sounding there....which bike brands are manufactured in ireland ? or even headquartered here?

No. You have all sorts of European brands and other american brands to choose.

Spec is high priced. They have raised their prices dramatically ever year and of sudden there are lot of bikes cheaper around here. The Allez had big a price upgrade with the introduction of the carbon triangle in combination with the lowering of group level. They are not cheap.

Oh and the BB30 brackets are working better than their 'own.'

We just have so many disappointed Spec users in my club.

One guy has the mounts for guiding the wires breaking off. He has made replacements. The frame is not even 8 years old. I have 30 year old bikes that have no problem. A motobecane from Taiwan had no problem.

The high end Spec bikes are rolling out with flaws. This does not leave one with confidence.

@Doc- what bike would you recommend for the OP then?

The Specialized Allez Sport he is looking at is €735 from an Irish LBS so that is your price range. BB30 doesn't generally feature there so one less thing to worry about. You are looking for a Sora-equipped bike with a carbon fork under €750.

FWIW I have two Specialized bikes among bikes from manufacturers including Trek, Giant, Litespeed, Van Nicholas, Focus, Kinesis, Planet X and Dawes. The impression I get of Specialized in general as a brand is that their stuff is high quality, in particular the finishing kit. At the lower end in particular (again on my own experience) I would tend towards Specialized over Giant and feel that Trek while high quality is overpriced compared to Specialized. Giant is excellent value but cuts corners on the finishing kit and in particular the wheels at the bottom end.

Specialized prices, at least at the lower end, have dropped significantly in the last few years, making them substantially more not less competitive.

My top-end bikes are not Specialized; one is my commuter and the other my old tourer. I'm not a crazy Specialized fan but their bikes are decent quality.

Note also that Specialized (as many big manufacturers) offer a lifetime warranty on their frames to the original owner so your clubmate should be able to get that replaced under warranty with a current model frame. Not a bad deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

"But what's best? There's only one way to find out...FIGHT!"

thats my best contribution - i'd buy the cubilized myself - actually i prefer the look of the cubes, specialized's 2010 range looks so duuuuullll not seen one in the flesh though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

specialized allez is a good bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We just have so many disappointed Spec users in my club.

One guy has the mounts for guiding the wires breaking off. He has made replacements. The frame is not even 8 years old. I have 30 year old bikes that have no problem. A motobecane from Taiwan had no problem.

The high end Spec bikes are rolling out with flaws. This does not leave one with confidence.

Maybe it's just me, but I expect all these modern high end carbon bikes (not just Specialized) to be unusable junk after a few years.

Integrated BBs, integrated headsets, composite materials which are difficult to repair and repaint. Then there are the integrated seatmasts which make it impossible to sell on the bike to anyone with longer legs, not to mention non-transferrable frame warranties.

Compared to all that, the slight risk of some internal corrosion with an old steel frame seems easy to live with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 THEWHELO

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I expect all these modern high end carbon bikes (not just Specialized) to be unusable junk after a few years.

Integrated BBs, integrated headsets, composite materials which are difficult to repair and repaint. Then there are the integrated seatmasts which make it impossible to sell on the bike to anyone with longer legs, not to mention non-transferrable frame warranties.

Compared to all that, the slight risk of some internal corrosion with an old steel frame seems easy to live with.

Now my head's spinning! I hear what you're all saying but in the end it seems to come down personal preference. The Specialized are attractive due to the lifetime guarantee on the frame and two years on the parts.

Listen I'm no expert on bikes, the main reason I'm getting one is that I'm 32 and am exercising less and less these days. I want a bike i) to cycle rather than drive to and from work and ii) to aim to get fit enough so that I can compete in a sprint tri this summer. I may not be the greatest cyclist in the world but all going to plan I'll be fit enough to complete my goal this summer and then move on to the next fitness challenge (which will include the bike I promise)

My point is this: I worry about spending so much on a bike (€750 is a lot for me) and want to get the best for my money. But the finer details like integrated BBs, integrated headsets, composite materials, integrated seatmasts are all double dutch to me.

All I ask is to get a decent bike for the large amount of money I'm paying for it. I think everyone has a different opinion and if there was a bike out there that most people would recommend for the money I'm paying then I'd go with that. Or maybe I should go to cycleogical on the quays they always seem to have a load of different bikes on sale, but then again after reading some stuff about them on here I don't know if that would be a good idea.

If it seems like I'm moaning I apologies you're posts are a real help it's jut hard to make a decision (and part with the money!)

But the finer details like integrated BBs, integrated headsets, composite materials, integrated seatmasts are all double dutch to me.
    None of that applies to bikes in the €750 price bracket anyway (with the possible exception of integrated headsets, which are fine.)

The Specialized is a decent entry-level road bike at a good price. Test ride it and if it fits you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

if anything does come loose or need to be changed over time then you should learn how to at least do the simple things on your bike and regardless of the name on the down tube you'll enjoy it for many years!

(take care of it and it'll take care of you!)

Now my head's spinning! I hear what you're all saying but in the end it seems to come down personal preference. The Specialized are attractive due to the lifetime guarantee on the frame and two years on the parts.

Listen I'm no expert on bikes, the main reason I'm getting one is that I'm 32 and am exercising less and less these days. I want a bike i) to cycle rather than drive to and from work and ii) to aim to get fit enough so that I can compete in a sprint tri this summer. I may not be the greatest cyclist in the world but all going to plan I'll be fit enough to complete my goal this summer and then move on to the next fitness challenge (which will include the bike I promise)

My point is this: I worry about spending so much on a bike (€750 is a lot for me) and want to get the best for my money. But the finer details like integrated BBs, integrated headsets, composite materials, integrated seatmasts are all double dutch to me.

All I ask is to get a decent bike for the large amount of money I'm paying for it. I think everyone has a different opinion and if there was a bike out there that most people would recommend for the money I'm paying then I'd go with that. Or maybe I should go to cycleogical on the quays they always seem to have a load of different bikes on sale, but then again after reading some stuff about them on here I don't know if that would be a good idea.

If it seems like I'm moaning I apologies you're posts are a real help it's jut hard to make a decision (and part with the money!)

Specialized ALLEZ are overpriced. The price conversion to here puts the 700 Euro at a higher price than some of the Bontrager/Gary Fisher bikes or FUJI. Surely there must be other places to look.

There is no lifetime deal on the Allez.

Just had one person in November crash her frame. She was told that it was on applicable if she had bought the Ruby. They offered 10% off a frame purchase.

Spec does not take good care of their premium bikes with people having trouble no matter which bb they use. IT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN.

STAY AWAY.

Specialized ALLEZ are overpriced.
    OK, so please, what are the alternative Sora-equipped carbon fork bikes from an Irish shop for under €750?

You really seem to have a bit of a hang-up about Specialized. They are one of the largest bike brands in the world; I have found them good personally and I know many others with them who love their bikes. Indeed know several people who race on their Allez.

What is a Bontrager bike? If you mean a Trek, the 1.2 is €770 for a generally similar but slightly worse spec bike where they have gone for non-group parts in a few places most notably the crankset (FSA Vero with older BB design) and brakes. Worth consideration, I had two Trek road bikes and loved them, but it hardly jumps out over the less expensive and higher-spec Allez.

To be honest there isn't a whole lot between most of the entry-level aluminium bikes from the big brands; all will get the job done. But this notion that the Specialized is bad value and a deathtrap is simply wrong. It's one of the best specced and best value there is right now (was not always the case, Cycleways seem to have got a lot more competitive recently.)

On the warranty, I got it wrong. Specialized is 5 years on the frame in Europe. Lifetime on the frame in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I'm no expert but Specialized bikes have provided good service to me for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Now my head's spinning! I hear what you're all saying but in the end it seems to come down personal preference. The Specialized are attractive due to the lifetime guarantee on the frame and two years on the parts...the finer details like integrated BBs, integrated headsets, composite materials, integrated seatmasts are all double dutch to me.

Sorry, I was responding off-topic to a comment about high-end bikes, not the ones you're looking at.
    All I ask is to get a decent bike for the large amount of money I'm paying for it. I think everyone has a different opinion and if there was a bike out there that most people would recommend for the money I'm paying then I'd go with that.

€750 is not a large amount of money in the world of road bikes, it's entry level. Fortunately the equipment doesn't matter that much as long as it works - you won't be any slower on an Allez than an S-Works.
    Or maybe I should go to cycleogical on the quays they always seem to have a load of different bikes on sale, but then again after reading some stuff about them on here I don't know if that would be a good idea.

If I was buying in town, I'd probably go to Cycleways. They stock Specialized. Further afield, consider Cycle Superstore. They'll probably sell you a Lapierre. Either is fine, honestly.

Don't overthink it. As long as you're comfortable, it'll be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

mikes bikes dun laoghaire are an authorized specialized dealer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

Lumen wrote: »

Don't overthink it. As long as you're comfortable, it'll be OK.

+1 to that from Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Meself

Not much comment on the Cube bike on this thread for some reason. Are they new to the market or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well there's a lot more specialized out there than cubes.

I'll say it again though, the aluminium fork on the cube would be a deal breaker for me. It is a terrible material to make a fork out of.

The frame is very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 THEWHELO

Ok thanks for the heated debate a lot of good points there. I think that the specialized is probably the bike for me with what I'm looking to spend. Doctor I understand that you have major concerns about the specialized but to a newbie like me it doesn't really apply.

I've tried the bike and liked it. As most of you have said as long as it feels comfortable and I like it then it's a good buy. I'll have another look around this weekend but unless I find something that I think is great then I reckon it's the Specialized for me.

Thank you all of your help I can honestly say that the cycling forum on boards has been a great source of help and advice.

Advertisement