Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POWDER COATING GROUP BUY

• 26-03-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I've been on to the guys at qualitypowdercoating.ie, trying to find out how much it'd cost to get a frame coated, and I mentioned the possibility of a 'group buy' type deal -

If 10 or so of us want to get bikes coated, they'll do it for €70 each - but we have to agree on a colour and strip the frames down ourselves. Its not a bad deal, and stripping a frame isn't too hard if you use stripit or nitromors gel paint remover to melt most of the existing paint off, so is anyone interested?

Colour-wise I'm keen on some kind of electric blue, but we can do a vote?

I nominate electric blue!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Might be interested, will let you know. Have a 53cm frame Gavin gave to me which I haven't done anything with yet. In fact, if you are reading this Gavin you can have it back if ya like?

+1 on the colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Whats the frame like? I'm looking for a frame to turn into a nice racer for my girlfriend, 53cm might be her size, if you're looking to get rid of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Might be in for this depending on the colour. Although not sure i like the idea of having the same colou fraem as 10 other people around dublin. Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of going to the trouble of getting it painted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Does this include forks? Might be interested.. But might also spray it myself in the end.

SubLuminal wrote: »
    Whats the frame like? I'm looking for a frame to turn into a nice racer for my girlfriend, 53cm might be her size, if you're looking to get rid of it :)

Its a tour of Ireland, I think it's Reynolds 531 will have to check and get back to you though. Gavin's frame anyway, I'll have to let him decide what he wants to do with it.

• Advertisement

Includes forks as far as I know - as for having the same colour as 10 other people.. well if your bike is already red, blue, yellow, white, black or pretty much any other colour, I've got news for you... ;)

Ias for having the same colour as 10 other people.. well if your bike is already red, blue, yellow, white, black or pretty much any other colour, I've got news for you... ;)

Fair point, but at the moment i have yet to see someone with the same bike as me. If i was going to do it, i think i'd prefer something more neutral than electric blue, I'm guessing you mean something like this

Is that not baby blue? I thought electric blue was more like that nice bike FS in the adverts section at the moment, I think it's one of Golfanatics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The bike abcdggs linked looks right.

Read all about it here

220px-ArTube.jpg

blorg wrote: »
    The bike abcdggs linked looks right.

Read all about it here

220px-ArTube.jpg

Right, well I was going more for "Rich Electric Blue", which if you google electric blue and look at the "fashion" pictures, electric blue in those circles is more what I was going for. The 1980s look:

Search Results

• Advertisement

Close, was thinking of something more like this kind of colour - its very similar just with a bit more 'pop'! gary-fisher-hifi-gs-womens-2009-mountain-bike.jpg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Right, well I was going more for "Rich Electric Blue", which if you google electric blue and look at the "fashion" pictures, electric blue in those circles is more what I was going for. The 1980s look:

Search Results
    after CLOSE inspection of this
    blue_big.jpg
    I'm gonna call that colour "blue"

Nice colour on that Gary Fisher. Is that a metallic sort of paint though- will you get that sort of finish from powdercoating or would it be more like the bike abcdggs posted?

:pac:

So, so far, potentially, provisinonally, pencilled in, quite interested etc...

its

Subluminal
    DirkVoodoo
    abcdggs

blorg, you interested?

blorg, you interested?
    No, I don't have anything that needs a respray. I'm always happy to comment on bicycle colours though, give you lot the benefit of my elevated aesthetic sensibilities. Good luck with the venture.

Ah, fair enough! :)

Mods, would this make a good sticky? If there's a company that'll do group buys, maybe its something we can take advantage of more than once?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

blorg wrote: »
    I'm always happy to comment on bicycle colours though, give you lot the benefit of my elevated aesthetic sensibilities. Good luck with the venture.
    I'll take you up on the offer Blorg ;) And anyone else with a similarly elevated sense of self aesthetic sensibility.

I'm going ahead with the xtracycle conversion mentioned in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61828297 .

So I'll have a long bike with mismatching colours. So, perfect timing for a respray. The frame will look a bit like this. (Shape, not colour, obviously). Any thoughts for a colour scheme?

DFD*

*DeftlyFinessingDefinitions.

Apologies for the partial hijack.

Personally, I think it would have to be pink. I suspect you might have the first pink xtracycle in Dublin.

Alternately, this colour looks cute (or maybe it's the kids)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

what about a colour like this
    http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/page/4/ (scroll down to classic frameset)
    the black or metamorphorse the meta...wateva changes colour and the black frame (i have it looks amazing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Anyone know a website that will let me custom colour a 'standard' bike? Two tone fade effect included would be even better. I'm considering a lime green to muted pink fade!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭fixie

i really dont think this whole group buy is worth the bother....
    €70 each for 10 bikes of all the same colour and you have to strip them youself..?
    doesnt sound like great value at all

id rather get the colour i wanted instead of comprimising and get it stripped and painted in tallaght powder coating for €90
    up to you'se though

i completely agree with fixie

you could ask a car respraying shop to just throw in your bike with the car for a bit of cash that would look pretty good

So, so far, potentially, provisinonally, pencilled in, quite interested etc...

its

Subluminal
    DirkVoodoo
    abcdggs

blorg, you interested?
    Should have said earlier i'm not in i'm afraid, don't like the idea of having the same colour bike as 9 other people... also ditto to what fixie said

Golfanatic wrote: »
    you could ask a car respraying shop to just throw in your bike with the car for a bit of cash that would look pretty good
    Would you not need a car then too? Is that not a bit.. er... you know?

im sure they wouldnt mind if they were doing someones car and you gave them like 2o euro to do yours along with it thats what i ment

Advertisement