Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with foundation!

• 26-03-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I don't wear much make-up - usually just a bit of eye make-up and some lipbalm. Lately, I've started to use a bit of foundation if I'm going out. I don't like the feeling of heavy foundation on my skin, so I bought Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, which is working out well except around my nose!

My skin is a bit dry, but it's never flaky or anything as long as I don't forget to moisturise every day. For some reason though, once I put on this foundation my nose looks very dry and flaky.

Do you think using a primer would help? I've heard the Smashbox ones are good. Or maybe a different kind of foundation would suit me better?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭spudz22

Melia wrote: »

once I put on this foundation my nose looks very dry and flaky.

I used to have this problem too. Use a good exfoliator and moisturise well. the smash box primer is meant to be good as too is the gosh one! Never needed to use one becuase I found that exfoliating maybe twice a week followed by moisturiser done the job perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Thanks for that - I use Soap & Glory's The Greatest Scrub of All about once a week. My skin is fairly sensitive (though not as bad as it used to be) so I'm a little wary of overdoing it. I'll try twice a week and see if it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

spudz22 wrote: »
    I used to have this problem too. Use a good exfoliator and moisturise well. the smash box primer is meant to be good as too is the gosh one! Never needed to use one becuase I found that exfoliating maybe twice a week followed by moisturiser done the job perfectly :)

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Maybelline have a liquid version of this called Dream Satin which might suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Get a new foundation that's suitable for dry skin. Matte foundations are often more suited to greasy skin. Also lash on extra moisturiser or get one with a richer texture. Let it soak in 10 mins before you put your make up on.That can only help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

10 hour sleep effect from bourjois is really good and not a heavy make up at all. Its a liquid make up so wont dry skin out as much as i find dream matte mouse does, but it looks just as good ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

I use the smashbox primer and it is great. Your skin feels so good even putting it on. It is expensive though and once you start using it, you'll become addicted. Really keeps your foundation on all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I've the same problem with the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse around my nose - it just looks flaky and dry, even though my skin isn't actually that dry. I use Neutrogena Balm to moisturise as I find it's the only one that works well on my skin and while it helps, it doesn't eradicate the dry look on my noise with the mousse. I've also tried the Smashbox Photo Finish primer and it didn't do much either.

I'll try exfoliating more often, and see if it makes a difference. I also must have a look at Maybelline's Dream Satin foundation, but I remember last time I used Maybelline liquid foundation I didn't like the feel of it on my skin - my skin felt kind of tight and as if it couldn't breath. I use L'oreal Perfect Match at the moment, which I works well on my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I use Gosh it just as good as Smashbox but cheaper.

Exfoliate helps too. Firm but gentle.
    +1 on the S&G i have that too :D

Thanks girls, I might just go to the makeup counters in Debenhams or Brown Thomas and experiment to see what works!

It's just annoying because my nose gets red so easily if I'm outside at all, so it's the one place I really need a bit of coverage.

I'll report back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I used always have that flaky bit problem but I started using Bare Minerals foundation last year and also Clarins Hydraquench serum around the same time, and I don't get it at all anymore. I tried an Armani foundation recently and it looked great when I put it on first, but after a while I had that patchy/flaky look. Definitely sticking with the Bare Minerals, it's way cheaper too!

I've heard Bare Minerals is good alright - would they have it in Arnotts or Brown Thomas?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭oide10

Gosh and Smashbox Photo Finish light are great as is Elizabeth Arden's primer, very silky feel to it. It has vitamins added to it.

As a poster already suggested it is important to exfoliate gently once to twice a week depending on your skin type. Use a toner as well, maybe something like rosewater and then replenish moisture by finding a moisturiser that suits you. This should get rid of all that flaky skin.

Personally I find mineral powder foundation great. I use Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish at the moment. It gives a soft focus effect and is buildable.
    I would like to try Bare Minerals but it's more expensive. Do you have to mix the powders yourself to find the the skin tone right for you. Sounds messy.
    When i don't use powder foundation i use GLO mineral or Isadora.

oide10 wrote: »
    Gosh and Smashbox Photo Finish light are great as is Elizabeth Arden's primer, very silky feel to it. It has vitamins added to it.

As a poster already suggested it is important to exfoliate gently once to twice a week depending on your skin type. Use a toner as well, maybe something like rosewater and then replenish moisture by finding a moisturiser that suits you. This should get rid of all that flaky skin.

Personally I find mineral powder foundation great. I use Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish at the moment. It gives a soft focus effect and is buildable.
    I would like to try Bare Minerals but it's more expensive. Do you have to mix the powders yourself to find the the skin tone right for you. Sounds messy.
    When i don't use powder foundation i use GLO mineral or Isadora.

I go through periods of using rosewater almost every day, and it does make my skin feel lovely. I just bought a new bottle the other day, too!

I'll be more diligent with my exfoliating/toning/moisturising routine for a week or two and then I'll think about switching foundation and/or getting a primer. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

The Bare Minerals are about €23-25 (not sure exactly) and the shades seem to suit a good variety of people. A good few of my friends use it and none of us would have the exact same skin tone but we all use Light or Fairly Light - you can put on a very light/sheer dusting of it or build it up for a night out. I use fake tan all the time so I go between a paler shade and the next one as the tan wears off. It is messy, but I've learned at this stage to put a tissue down under the pot when I'm using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

try everydayminerals.com - you can only buy it online. Its very good & very cheap- only about 12 dollars. You can also get free samples at the start to check out shades before buying. They have some very fair shades for irish skin too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Melia wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I use Soap & Glory's The Greatest Scrub of All about once a week. My skin is fairly sensitive (though not as bad as it used to be) so I'm a little wary of overdoing it. I'll try twice a week and see if it helps!
    OP, perhaps the soap and glory product is too harsh for you. I'd recommend Liz Earle or Dermalogica; both are very good for sensitive skin.

Exfoliate twice a week. Also, consider using an oil on your face at night time.
    I using a Liz Earle one at the moment but there's lots of different ones. Aragan oil is the lastest thing and you can buy it in health food shops for around €18. Oils are a godsend for hydrating dry skin.

Also, if budget is a consideration, Bourjois have a new foundation which has fruit extracts and it got great reviews on beaut.ie last week.

Well, today I bought Bio Oil and Gosh primer.

I just used rose water and then the Bio Oil after my shower - am I meant to put my usual moisturiser on as well, or does the Bio Oil replace it? If my skin feels dry in the morning I might put the usual moisturiser on then instead.

Looking forward to trying out the primer tomorrow! Stupid question, but how do you apply it? Fingers or brush or sponge or what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I used to just apply it with my hands, but I saw a YouTube make up tutorial where the girl used a brush, and I tried it. Found I got more even distribution and it spread more easily with the brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭oide10

I apply with my hands, would have thought the brush/applicator would absorb too much of the product.

Re: The Bio oil, there should be no harm putting moisturiser on after bio oil if you think your skin needs extra hydration. Let the bio oil absorb in first maybe as it may clash with the moisturiser and give a cakey effect.

Purchased the Bourjois foundation with fruit extracts, I've only used it once. Think it may be too pale a shade for me though. It smells lovely and my skin feels soft...

• Advertisement

I don't know if it was the Bio Oil last night or the Gosh primer or a combination of the two, but my makeup looks great today, even around the nose. Delighted! Hopefully I've solved the problem.

Thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement