Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It Fire Cement?

• 26-03-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Howdy all.

We recently had a new fireplace installed, but have now learned that the cement used may not have been fire cement.

Here's my newbe question: How does (set) fire cement differ from regular cement in appearance?

Any and all tips welcomed!

Below is a link to a small, out-of-focus photo, which might just confuse the issue... The pinkish strip in the middle is the offender.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/03sOpiftyymRmiAzZvuj3A?feat=directlink

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

what makes you think the cement may not be fire proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Patatronic

Martron wrote: »
    what makes you think the cement may not be fire proof?

We just had the chimney swept. The sweep (a.k.a. general fireplace professional) was pretty certain is wasn't fire cement, since it "looked very different to fire cement".

Now I'd rather not light any fires until I'm sure it is the proper stuff.

different brand will have different colours. in fact i am sure you will be able to get it in any colour.

but if it was normal cement it would be grey. so you know that its not standard cement.

( and without trying to worry you , thats not saying a colour was not added to normal cement)

Juding from the picture though and not knowing the brand. it looks like fire cement as it is quite dense looking with a large amount of fine material in it.

Thanks for the insight Martron.

If it helps any, this pink\orange cement is quite soft. You can scrape it with your fingernail into a fine, chalky powder.

that does not sound right. how long has it been up for?

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    that does not sound right. how long has it been up for?

It's been up about a week now. I guess it should have set solid by now.

yeah it should be hard .

its not a massive job to replace, but maybe ring up the lad that did it and tell him that you are worried about it. see what he has to say.

Thanks again Martron.

I best get on to the fireplace people so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

Is it fire cement? I only thought you could get it in black or white. To me it looks like finishing plaster or plaster. But that dries hard? I would be interested to know if it is fire cement. James:)

Advertisement