Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 1340

Options
  • 26-03-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,

I was thinking about getting the Garmin nuvi 1340 but Im a bit confused after reading reviews on amazon. It says it has a function called lane assist and looks like it will give a close up of traffic and exactly where to move but one reviewer has said that this is misleading and the function is useless and doesnt give any close images.

The main reason I had this GPS in mind was the lane assist! Does anyone out there have this model? Or anyone know about Garmin's lane assist feature?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Also interested in the OP's questions as on the market for a Garmin GPS, so far have been considering the Garmin 1340 or the Garmin 265W. They're both the same price of €136.73 on elara.ie which seems to be the cheapest I've seen them for so far.
    What are the main differences between the different Garmin models, so far as far as I can tell the 265W has bluetooth while the 1340 is slightly slimmer and has lane assist.

Further to the above I've been doing some additional pricing and have found Amazon.co.uk a good bit cheaper than the competition (attached doc). Now just need to figure out the advantages/differences between the different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

it will give a close up of traffic and exactly where to move
    Not sure what gave you that impression, but no, that's not what lane assist does. If you are on a multi-lane road (say for example the M50 in Dublin) and the Garmin is suggesting that you need to be taking an off-ramp in 1km, then the Garmin should (in theory) guide you as to which lane you should be travelling in, in order to prepare yourself for taking that off-ramp. It will typically only work on motorways or major roads with multiple lanes, when some guidance may be required. There is another feature which provides information about traffic on the roads, but this is a more general indicator about how busy particular roads are (and this is not available in Ireland yet).

I should add that I do not have this feature, and am not sure whether lane information is available in Ireland.

Reckon I'm going to go for the 265W, my flatmate and brother both have the 255W and find it very good. The 265W is going for the same price at present and has the handy feature of bluetooth on top in case I ever upgrade my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I have the 1340, and it definitely does not do lane assist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

center15 wrote: »
    I have the 1340, and it definitely does not do lane assist!

Would you recommend it? Considering getting one

Dardania wrote: »
    Would you recommend it? Considering getting one

It's probably a bit out of date now to be honest.. But it does a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

thanks for that...they seem to be available relatively reasonably, and if bought new can use loc8 codes, which seems quite cool.

The 1340 comes with West Europe maps - have you ever updated to use full Europe or anything like that, using the memory card? I amn't sure it is even possible...

Dardania wrote: »
    thanks for that...they seem to be available relatively reasonably, and if bought new can use loc8 codes, which seems quite cool.

The 1340 comes with West Europe maps - have you ever updated to use full Europe or anything like that, using the memory card? I amn't sure it is even possible...

It's West only, I have updated to full Europe 2011 maps with an micro SD card. If you Google it you'll find out how to.

Advertisement