Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg*n cooking club.

Options
  • 26-03-2010 4:25pm

I really like the idea of the cooking club thread in Cooking and Recipes. But I rarely get to participate, as most of the recipes are meat based.
    Although there is a veggie one this coming week, incase anyone is interested.

We seem to have alot of new veg*n's asking for cooking ideas recently.
    I know I could do with trying some new things myself. Even if a recipe is familiar, we might pick up tips to improve the outcome.
    Would you be interested in trying and sharing recipes in this way?
    Would people be up to making this a weekly thing, or as we are a small forum.
    Would it be better to give people two weeks to try out the recipe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Yes, this sounds like it could be fun! My internet access is less sporadic these days so should be able to keep up with recipes (if my neighbours don't lock their network :o)

I'd say every two weeks would be good. It would stop me from making variations of the same three or four meals all the time.

It would stop me from making variations of the same three or four meals all the time.

This is my exact problem. The variations change seasonally, but I could really do with some motivation to be more inventive.

You want to go first Donnie? :P

Oooh, okay :)

Let me think of something good first though!

I assume it could be anything, main dish, dessert, side, light snack :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Sounds like a great idea - I went over to the meaters cooking club to see what the basic format is (still feeling nauseous after all the meat pictures). Any rules as regards number of ingredients, time limits on preparation or just whatever is considered reasonable (it's not unknown for me to spend 2-3 hours preparing meals!)

Sounds like a great idea - I went over to the meaters cooking club to see what the basic format is (still feeling nauseous after all the meat pictures). Any rules as regards number of ingredients, time limits on preparation or just whatever is considered reasonable (it's not unknown for me to spend 2-3 hours preparing meals!)

I'd like to think that if we all do something that we like, we might get a good cross section of recipes.
    I see both challenges and simple pleasures as welcome. So long as you have made and liked it.

What do other people think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Personally, I don't think I'd have the time to buy the ingredients and take part, but I will certainly be inspired! I look forward to it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd love to give it a try :)

We could structure it like the cooking club over yonder, seeing as they've got a good thing going :pac: As in, compile a list of people who have posted here stating an interest in participating and do a running order from that, the first person posts the first recipe and so on...

Which would make it currently:
    Moonbaby
    DonnieScribbles
    henryporter
    Tar.Aldarion

A list of four, but maybe more :p

Sounds like a good plan Donnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd like a piece of this action!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd like a piece of this action!

Ready to cook a stir fry?

I've made up my mind on my first recipe(not vegan friendly though :/ ), oh very exciting. I assume that's how a cooking club works, poeple pick a recipe and everybody makes it? No idea tbh :p

I've made up my mind on my first recipe(not vegan friendly though :/ ), oh very exciting. I assume that's how a cooking club works, poeple pick a recipe and everybody makes it? No idea tbh :p

Do you want to go first?
    My laptop is still banjacked....I would rather wait till I have it fixed.
    Incase it gives up the ghost altogerher.

Hopefully the Vegans can give us tips on how to veganise recipes that aren't already friendly to them?
    Do you think that is an acceptable solution Donnie and Sweetrasmus?

Yes, but I can't promise I can take part in the cooking. I love cooking... and talking about cooking :D I will be helping where I can :)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do you want to go first?
    My laptop is still banjacked....I would rather wait till I have it fixed.
    Incase it gives up the ghost altogerher.

Hopefully the Vegans can give us tips on how to veganise recipes that aren't already friendly to them?
    Do you think that is an acceptable solution Donnie and Sweetrasmus?

Not particularly, only if other wuss' don't get it cracking like! :)
    Sounds like a fun challenge to veganise them.

So is this a specifically vegan cooking club then?
    It's not that hard to veganise unless the central element of the dish is something dairy or egg. Like a quiche.
    And will we be starting individual threads for each recipe like in the cooking and recipes forum? Might be tidier.

I could go first if necessary, it'll probably be tomorrow though. I want to take pictures!

It's not that hard to veganise unless the central element of the dish is something dairy or egg. Like a quiche.
    And will we be starting individual threads for each recipe like in the cooking and recipes forum? Might be tidier.

I could go first if necessary, it'll probably be tomorrow though. I want to take pictures!

Nah not specifically vegan I don't think. it's just that if one of us puts up a veggie recipe, people could try and make a vegan version too. If people wanted they could make both and compare even.

So does the person putting it up make it and take pix first?
    Pix of poeple's efforts should be cool. No probs with a new thread for each I guess!

Maybe at the start of the thread, the links to the previous dishes threads at the top too.

That would be brilliant Donnie. :) I should have my laptop fixed for next week.
    I used the term veg*n to be inclusive of vegetarians and vegans.
    I agree individual threads would be much neater. The main cooking club format seems to work well.

Okay, I'll start a thread sometime tomorrow then. It'll be an easy one to start with I think :p

The first post of this thread could be edited to add the links to the recipe threads...

Oh, and the running order would look something like this now, if we're going with it:
    DonnieScribbles
    Moonbaby
    henryporter
    Tar.Aldarion
    electro~bitch

Yep sure, all looks good to moi.

• Advertisement

Yep sure, all looks good to moi.

The thread isn't allowing me to edit the original post.
    WOuld you mind doing it please?

Vbulletin allows you to edit your posts for 48 hours. I can do it, what would you like in it, or shall I wait until the first thread is created and I will add a link ot it here?

Sure your as well to wait. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

seeing as no-one is willing to start

here you go
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65153899#post65153899

That looks yummy! there is a thread here too started today for cookies. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

That looks yummy! there is a thread here too started today for cookies. :)

sorry, i didnt notice the thread have been keeping on eye on this one:o

Advertisement