Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaelforce 24hr cycle

• 26-03-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Folks

Did anyone do this last year? http://www.gaelforceevents.com/cyclewest/ I heard there were some issues with the other event re registering and a lack of organisation and numbers. Anyone hear anything about it?

Shaun

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Hi Shaun, Yes myself and a few mates did the mtb 24 hour cycle last year. To be honest it was their first year staging the event and there were always going to be hickups. Main gripes were that they did'nt have enough charging stations for charging up the battery packs for the lights. I know they changed the date this year so there won't be as many hours of darkness this year. Also had a issue with the time it took to get results out.
    The roads around there are not great so I would avoid the road bike race tbh. The mtb route was'nt all downhill thrills either so don't go expecting an easy time of it. If the route is the same as last years there are plenty of long uphill struggles.
    Overall I enjoyed it. I was in a team of 5 and we came within a lap of winning it outright. Felt for the teams with just 3 as there was not much rest between laps. 5 is ideal and you get about 4 hours between laps.
    We're not doing it this year. The other guys on the team found it hard going and swore never again.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Enduro

I did the Solo MTB last year. I found the standard of organisation to be above my prior expectations. For a first go at running an event like that, it went off very well indeed. I intend to do it again this year, which tells you all you need to know really.

Enduro wrote: »
    I did the Solo MTB last year. I found the standard of organisation to be above my prior expectations. For a first go at running an event like that, it went off very well indeed. I intend to do it again this year, which tells you all you need to know really.

Hi Enduro - yes good sign indeed that you are doing it again. Nobody knows the track beter than your good self i understand?! You did do something like 20 laps in the 24 hours right? Just to put in perspective our team of 5 managed 23-24 laps but that was with every man getting 4 hours rest between laps. People still whisper your name down here :D
    Think they are putting more single track in this year which will be good. Good luck with it. Might see you there in 2011! MRR

20 laps sounds about right... I can't quite remember :) I suppose that would make the most experienced alright, by default! It would be good to get more singletrack... it'll make it harder in some ways, as singletrack takes more concentration, but more enjoyable which overall makes it easier to get around. No Hardtail for me this year though. Full suss comfort all the way!

Shame you're not going to make it this year. See ya in 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

hhhmmmm was thinking the road 24 hour but if roads are brutal then it might not be much fun. Have no mtb experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

I did the road one last year. Thought the roads were fine and was well marshalled. Hope to be going back this year. I had not heard about a problem with registering. I would like to see it do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

Was intending to do this event but am in doubt now if the roads are crap.
    We had no shortage of poor roads on roi,especially around Carlingford.
    Is there anyone who might have local knowledge about this years route as they said on the website that they may make some changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

What is the distance for the road event ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

New road route now up on website.

Why does the road event start with a 1 mile run ?? Whats that all about ? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Is this years route not completely different being based closer to Newport. I would think the roads should be ok but probably quite a dead heavy surface.
    I will see can I get any info from the Locals

20 laps sounds about right... I can't quite remember :) I suppose that would make the most experienced alright, by default! It would be good to get more singletrack... it'll make it harder in some ways, as singletrack takes more concentration, but more enjoyable which overall makes it easier to get around. No Hardtail for me this year though. Full suss comfort all the way!

Shame you're not going to make it this year. See ya in 2011!

Yes agree single track defo makes it more enjoyable - except at 3am when you hit a root at speed and capapult over the handlebars :D. I think they ae putting more single track in though which will be good.
    Don't think anyone will call you soft opting for full suspension given you will b the full 24 hours on the saddle ;).
    Best of luck with it this year and hopefully put it up to you in 2011:rolleyes:
    MRR

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Why does the road event start with a 1 mile run ?? Whats that all about ? :confused::confused:
    AFAIK its to break up the field so you don't have a load of road bikes jostling for position on a narrow secondary road. Same with the MTB route

AFAIK its to break up the field so you don't have a load of road bikes jostling for position on a narrow secondary road. Same with the MTB route

How are people expected to gallop a mile or so in cycling shoes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It makes sense for MTB events but for road it is a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have you shoes clipped in and run up in runners? Dump the runners and get them later on..

I wasn't sure they were having the Le Mans style start this year. Last year I brought runners for that bit and left the cycling shoes in 'transition' with the bike. I did not like the running bit either, but it was only a few minutes (about 15 in my case :(). Le Mans start sorts out the problem of bunched start and drafting. Othwerwise, I thought everything was first class.

is there a transition area..... ???

just that the website is very poor for the finer details of the event

Is it a no-drafting event? Could make sense then but the traditional way that is done in road TTs is just to let people go at 1 minute intervals.

If drafting is allowed it makes no sense.

Some MTB races it can make sense but really doesn't on road.

Not sure what the rule was last year or if there was any marshal(s) to enforce one. Traditional 24-hour events seem draw on volunteers and are organised by clubs. I don't think there is a club organising this and without marshals it seemed simple to cheat. The sprint at the start is a bit quirky, but so is the timing and a few other things. A 24-hour is a big undertaking. It might be unreasonable to expect the first few to be perfect.

• Advertisement

How are people expected to gallop a mile or so in cycling shoes ?
    TBH I was wearing runners on the mtb but i seen a few guys 'running' in their bike shoes. You could have just left your bike shoes at your bike and changed into them at transition. One piece of advise - don't bother sprinting the mile as you will be puffed out on the bike. Gaining a lead of 3 mins by running a 5 minute mile (over an 8 min mile jogger) does'nt make sense at the start of a race lasting 24 hours!

Had a look at the what I think is the course over Easter weekend and it was a shocker. Lots of little hills (200m climbing in a 27 km circuit), lots of potholes, very exposed, loose sheep, severe unguarded drops off the road sides, very narrow. I don't like to moan but I changed my mind about taking part. Can't see that it could be re-surfaced and IMO shows scant respect for the cyclist. The road would be virtually car-free and scenery is exceptional, but beyond that I can not think of a single thing that makes it suitable for a 24-hour race.
    I did not get a chance to ride it and would like to hear from someone that has.

RV wrote: »
    Had a look at the what I think is the course over Easter weekend and it was a shocker. Lots of little hills (200m climbing in a 27 km circuit), lots of potholes, very exposed, loose sheep, severe unguarded drops off the road sides, very narrow. I don't like to moan but I changed my mind about taking part. Can't see that it could be re-surfaced and IMO shows scant respect for the cyclist. The road would be virtually car-free and scenery is exceptional, but beyond that I can not think of a single thing that makes it suitable for a 24-hour race.
    I did not get a chance to ride it and would like to hear from someone that has.

Thanks for the heads up on that... safety is paramount and if its as bad and dangerous as you say...... Im OUT

Jesus you roadie lads really are soft :eek: If ye're afraid of roads with small hills, potholes, etc etc ye're bikes must be in pristine condition from not being ridden on Irish roads

Jesus you roadie lads really are soft :eek: If ye're afraid of roads with small hills, potholes, etc etc ye're bikes must be in pristine condition from not being ridden on Irish roads

Yes our bikes are in pristine condition because we keep them that way, we certainly arent afraid of ANY small hills as you put it and we encounter and negotiate potholes of various sizes on a daily basis as part of the norm now unfortunatly.

The point that is being made and I think with respect you are missing it is the fact that possibly approx 9 hours of this event will be run in darkness and a course with potentially dangerous sections be it potholes or generally an unsafe route will obviously raise safety concerns for these reasons and should be avoided at all cost.

Yes our bikes are in pristine condition because we keep them that way, we certainly arent afraid of ANY small hills as you put it and we encounter and negotiate potholes of various sizes on a daily basis as part of the norm now unfortunatly.

The point that is being made and I think with respect you are missing it is the fact that possibly approx 9 hours of this event will be run in darkness and a course with potentially dangerous sections be it potholes or generally an unsafe route will obviously raise safety concerns for these reasons and should be avoided at all cost.

I managed 24 hours of cycling, including more hours of darkness than this years race will have, on the mountainbike course which included all the "nasties" mention for the road course, plus offroad technical sections that require way way more concentration than road cycling to avoid crashing. I didn't find it any more unsafe than any other MTBing I do. I'm not missing your point at all. I just think you're hilariously soft. Sorry, but that's the blunt truth.

Winning is the ONLY option ...2nd is the FIRST LOSER.

:D Nice sentiment... but it doesn't match your approach. (Just spotted it)

I managed 24 hours of cycling, including more hours of darkness than this years race will have, on the mountainbike course which included all the "nasties" mention for the road course, plus offroad technical sections that require way way more concentration than road cycling to avoid crashing. I didn't find it any more unsafe than any other MTBing I do. I'm not missing your point at all. I just think you're hilariously soft. Sorry, but that's the blunt truth.
    :D Nice sentiment... but it doesn't match your approach. (Just spotted it)

Jaysus....This is not one of those Road v Mtb whos better than who thread...we have all suffered them in the past.... please dont put us through the pain again.....

Anyway thanks for your comments but to be honest this is not about personal judgements , its about debating topics for or against in a mature manner around the topics of the OP which in this case is Gaelforce 24 Cycle I fear you are now going off topic

Good luck with the event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You'll get no argument from me that MTBers are hard b'stards, but I do think that endurance road events are a bit different due to the equipment. Hitting a big pothole at 60kph on a road bike with 23mm tyres and aerobars is not the same as hitting a tree root at 30kph with suspension and big fat tyres.

I think you should do it on a cyclocross bike this year. Sure, how hard can it be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

LMAO:):):)

And i agree:)

@Enduro- road cycling is a different discipline and potholes and **** road surfaces in the dark honestly don't add to it. As you wouldn't want a mountain bike course run over smooth tarmac you wouldn't want a road course run over something that is going to smash up your rims and give you punctures. Unless it is a spring classic- and they don't run in the dark.

@Enduro - I don't think you are saying you have ridden this course for 24 hours on a road bike? I haven't ridden it either - just guessing from what I saw coupled with my admittedly limited experience.

I have no doubt that some MTB guys are way tougher than some of us roadies and vice-versa.

My point is that this is totally different to what one could reasonably expect of a 24-hour course. It is so different that IMO it does not measure what a 24-hour event usually does. The 24-hour record is above 500 miles I think but I think the person that does 400+ here will win easily.

And I think there is a difference between 'tough' and 'safe' that organisers need to be aware of.

Jaysus....This is not one of those Road v Mtb whos better than who thread...we have all suffered them in the past.... please dont put us through the pain again.....

That isn't my intention... I do plenty of roadbiking too. I love all cycling, but definitely think that MTB is much more fun, for reference.
    Anyway thanks for your comments but to be honest this is not about personal judgements , its about debating topics for or against in a mature manner around the topics of the OP which in this case is Gaelforce 24 Cycle I fear you are now going off topic

Good luck with the event

I don't think I am going off topic. I was on the road course last year at times. I know the winner of last year's road event quite well, and I don't think he had any problems with the course last year. I'm trying my best to understand what problems you guys have, because for me cycling 24 hours on the road course is, relatively speaking, trivially straightforward. My only worry on the road race would be encountering too many cars, which is what the course seems to be designed to avoid as much as possible. All your concerns just seem like normal Irish (non motorway) road conditions to me.
    but I do think that endurance road events are a bit different due to the equipment. Hitting a big pothole at 60kph on a road bike with 23mm tyres and aerobars is not the same as hitting a tree root at 30kph with suspension and big fat tyres.

As stated above, I do plenty of road biking as well as MTBing, and in my experience you're wrong about that. I was racing in the WAR this weekend, in which all the cycling was on-road (the relatively crappy roads of mid-Wicklow). I had done an MTB race the previous weekend. In the absense of peleton riding (which would have me nervous as feck!), the road racing takes comparitively little effort or concentration to be safe and avoid crashes in comparison to MTB racing, even on crappy hilly pot-holed, un- barriered, badly surfaced roads.
    I think you should do it on a cyclocross bike this year. Sure, how hard can it be

In reality, it wouldn't have been a bad option on last year's course. Although I'd probably still be applying suedocream even now after it :D
    @Enduro- road cycling is a different discipline and potholes and **** road surfaces in the dark honestly don't add to it. As you wouldn't want a mountain bike course run over smooth tarmac you wouldn't want a road course run over something that is going to smash up your rims and give you punctures. Unless it is a spring classic- and they don't run in the dark.

If you cycle the roads of wicklow (which I know you do!) then you know exactly what the roads of the 24 hour course are like. It's not a warzone... just normal Irish country roads. Would you be afraid to cycle around Wickow in the dark?

There definitely seems to be a difference in attitude to equipment between MTB oriented versus road oriented cyclists. I'd regard breaking equipment as part and parcel of getting out and actually cycling my bikes. I don't actively seek it or enjoy it, but I'd rather cycle and break the odd bit of gear (up to and including frames), than be sitting at home on the couch with a pristine bike gleaming restfully in the shed.
    @Enduro - I don't think you are saying you have ridden this course for 24 hours on a road bike? I haven't ridden it either - just guessing from what I saw coupled with my admittedly limited experience.

Correct... I rode the (much more technical) MTB course for 24 hours, on a MTB. It included a little bit of the road course. As I said earler, I know the winner of the road race quite well, and I've never heard him complain about the course. In fact, I got the distinct impression that he found it all pretty straightforward. He was very very relaxed every time I met him at the transition area. Not exactly shaking with the trauma of riding Irish country roads in the dark.
    My point is that this is totally different to what one could reasonably expect of a 24-hour course. It is so different that IMO it does not measure what a 24-hour event usually does. The 24-hour record is above 500 miles I think but I think the person that does 400+ here will win easily.

Miles!!!! :mad::mad::mad: FFS, we've been using the metric system here in Ireland for some considerable amount of time now :).

I did 400+km on the MTB course, so I'd say you're a bit out with that estimate, given how slow some parts of the MTB course were (5 minutes of walking per lap, amongst other things).

Out of interest, what would you expect of a 24hour course, and where in Mayo would you find it?

It is up to the course designer to say what they expect from a course; I was a potential rider rather than designer. Last year there was a steep descent at a point where sheep were frequently loose and often lying on the road which to me is unnecessarily dangerous.
    It seems to me that this year's course has cyclists going towards each other (two-way traffic) on a road one lane wide! Add potholes, possible cars, more loose sheep (survivors from last year), sleep deprivation and darkness and even rain/wind and it looks a shocker IMO.

I appear to be the only contributor that has seen the course, so not having seen it, to compare it with last year's MTB course, is like comparing no apples with oranges. I think, within reason, the surface should be intact, flat, sheltered, safe.

As regards distance, my recollection is that last year's road winner did eleven or twelve laps of an (easier) 47 Km course - totalling roughly half the record for a 24-hour course. Course design should help competitors achieve their potential and last year's course clearly did not do that for the best guy(s).
    I don't think it is necessary to run the event in Mayo if this is the best it can offer. I don't think it is the best; just that the organisers are being especially unsympathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lumen wrote:
    I do think that endurance road events are a bit different due to the equipment. Hitting a big pothole at 60kph on a road bike with 23mm tyres and aerobars is not the same as hitting a tree root at 30kph with suspension and big fat tyres.
    As stated above, I do plenty of road biking as well as MTBing, and in my experience you're wrong about that. I was racing in the WAR this weekend, in which all the cycling was on-road (the relatively crappy roads of mid-Wicklow). I had done an MTB race the previous weekend. In the absense of peleton riding (which would have me nervous as feck!), the road racing takes comparitively little effort or concentration to be safe and avoid crashes in comparison to MTB racing, even on crappy hilly pot-holed, un- barriered, badly surfaced roads.

When I referred to endurance road events I meant things like Race Around Ireland not the Wicklow 200. Pottering around Wicklow during the day on a road bike and hammering down some dark wet potholed descent at 3am on a TT bike after three days of insufficient sleep are completely different prospects (the latter terrifies me far more than a poxy 2hr road race).

• Advertisement

RV wrote: »
    My point is that this is totally different to what one could reasonably expect of a 24-hour course. It is so different that IMO it does not measure what a 24-hour event usually does.

The above does not cross reference well with....
    It is up to the course designer to say what they expect from a course;

You clearly HAVE an opinion of "what one could reasonably expect of a 24-hour course", which is why I asked you what exactly that is.
    Last year there was a steep descent at a point where sheep were frequently loose and often lying on the road which to me is unnecessarily dangerous.

Again, I'd wonder do you ever get out and cycle anywhere in Ireland outside of urban areas. That's pretty common. You also forgot about Deer, by the way, which in my experience are far more dangerous. And badgers... I've had to overtake several badgers on the road in the last few months, reckless feckers. A campaign of total extermination will have to be carried out by the organisers before any 24 hour bike race is allowed, out of respect for the cyclists :rolleyes:.
    It seems to me that this year's course has cyclists going towards each other (two-way traffic) on a road one lane wide! Add potholes, possible cars, more loose sheep (survivors from last year), sleep deprivation and darkness and even rain/wind and it looks a shocker IMO.

Again, what are you expecting here. It has been noted several times in this thread that the route is likely to be relatively car free. Sleep deprevation is always going to be a factor in a 24hour race, no matter where it is held. Such is the nature of the beast. Likewise weather in any outdoor race. Where exactly is the magical pot-hole free, car-free, animal trespass free, weather free, 24-hour illuminated road to hold a 24hour race on? I'd love to know where you think a reasonable course for this race would be. To my mind the only shocker here is your hilarious expectations.
    I think, within reason, the surface should be intact, flat, sheltered, safe.

Such as?
    As regards distance, my recollection is that last year's road winner did eleven or twelve laps of an (easier) 47 Km course - totalling roughly half the record for a 24-hour course. Course design should help competitors achieve their potential and last year's course clearly did not do that for the best guy(s).

It depends on your objective. IMHO both races are exactly that.. races. The object is to get as high a position as possible, not set distance records. Theoretically you could layout a course to enable you to achieve your optimal distance. And yet again I'd challenge you to come up with a real-world usable example which the organisers could realistically use.
    I don't think it is necessary to run the event in Mayo if this is the best it can offer.

Then you don't really understand much about who the race organisers are. It could be held on the Boneville flats, but reality has to intrude. Try looking at it from the organisers perspective, rather than theoretical perfection.

Lumen wrote: »
    When I referred to endurance road events I meant things like Race Around Ireland not the Wicklow 200. Pottering around Wicklow during the day on a road bike and hammering down some dark wet potholed descent at 3am on a TT bike after three days of insufficient sleep are completely different prospects (the latter terrifies me far more than a poxy 2hr road race).

I never referenced the wicklow 200.

If you want to know my endurance racing background, I have taken part in at least 11 expedition length adventure races, which have all included large amounts of cycling, both on and off road. These races are non-stop, and are anything from 5 to 9 days long. "hammering down some dark wet potholed descent at 3am on a TT bike after three days of insufficient sleep" sounds imple enough to me, to be perfectly honest. Just a matter of having a good lights set-up. I've gone down a lot worse in a lot more extreme conditions.

The race around Ireland looks relatively easy to me in comparison, quite frankly. I'd love to give it a go (but one can't do everything... too many interesting races on the calendar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Where exactly is the magical pot-hole free, car-free, animal trespass free, weather free, 24-hour illuminated road to hold a 24hour race on? I'd love to know where you think a reasonable course for this race would be. To my mind the only shocker here is your hilarious expectations.

+1

I did the MTB on a 4 man team last year, was dismayed by how incredible Enduro and his mates were compared to us. It was great craic and I hope to compete in the MTB event again if I sort out a (rugby caused) back injury before then.

My dad is in his 60s, did the road bike route last year. He lives a few miles from the course (the house with the sign outside, if you did the road race last year you saw it). He has worked for the National Trails Office and in many related areas. He's given the GFWC organisers a lot of constructive feedback on the road route this year, so we hope it'll be even better than last years route.

--

To use a soccer expression: at the end of the day, this is in *Mayo*. In the mountains. Yes, you get sheep on the roads, narrow roads, and they aren't lit up. You need decent lights, that's the main thing.

Seriously, if that bothers you, then this event (and any other 24 hour outside of a velodrome) really isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 patrykeith

i won the road version last year covering 480km, yes there was some potholes but i have never raced anywhere in ireland, uk,poland where there was never potholes, they are a part of every race, the race was well organised and there was a great athmosphere at the campsite,

i raced sensibly and had a fantastic back up crew , who kept me informed of my position every lap and i knew what i had to do, apparently i was x kilometres off irish record according to a previous post. i averaged 25km each hour and never went any faster, i felt as fresh when i got off the bike as when i started and had time to do possibly another 2 laps, i also had the option of using my time trial bike if i was being pushed by second place. irish records are set on flat courses under controlled circumstances. if people dont like racing on roads with potholes dont do the race but i can guarantee the roads are well rideable and i highly recommend the race

@patrykeith
    Congratulations on your win last year. 480 Km was a tremendous achievement. I raced too but obviously fell short of what you achieved. I enjoyed the event, felt I could do better and planned returning.

I think the thread started with a question about this year’s course as it seems to have been changed. You don’t mention if you rode this year’s; just that the 2009 version was fine. I agree with you on that; last year’s was fine even if it was tough.
    I was hoping someone (who had seen it) would be able to say that I am wrong about this year’s; that while it looks hilly, it rides a lot easier. But that has not happened yet. Potholes, traffic, hills, gravel, animals within reason are par for most courses. My point is that the GF organisers seem to have added difficulties this year with no thought for riders.

I don’t understand where the figures come from to show you were close to an Irish record. According to the organisers, last year was the “first ever” event of this type – so as winner, you should be guaranteed a record?
    According to Cycling Ireland, another fine cyclist, Dave McLoughlin from Orwell Dundrum holds the Irish 24-hour record with about 730 Km though 700 Km has been regularly surpassed by Irish riders at the UK 24-hour National Championships. I think Dave’s record is from that UK course. Who’s to say you could not beat that – we won’t know until you race on a course that helps you be the best you can be.

But would Cycling Ireland ratify a Gael Force 24-hour record? Last year there did not seem to be any marshals around their course; just one timing mat at the start/finish line. If there were restrictions on drafting (or getting a tow or even lift from a passing car) there was no one to enforce them. It was all a bit of a laugh really and it must have been a hoot to see us ‘sprinting’ in our lycra at the Le Mans start.

Maybe some of Ireland’s top endurance cyclists will try and beat Irish record this year in Mayo. I don’t think they will, but if they did, it would be interesting to see how close the course would allow them get. ... they might be hard put to catch you!

• Advertisement

Well done on winning last year.
    patrykeith wrote: »
    i won the road version last year covering 480km ... i averaged 25km each hour
    This doesn't add up; 480km in 24 hours is 20km/h? I can't imagine you were stopped/off the bike for over five hours?

example

20 hours x 24 kilometres per hour = 480km ( rounded off figures)

i did slightly less than 20 hours on the bike and the average was closer to 25km . total distance was approx 477km as each 47km lap was slightly over 47km, i stated previous that i had time to do another one or two laps but i had the race won and didnt need to do the extra distance. couldnt face the climb another couple of times and was starting to hallucinate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i averaged 25km each hour and never went any faster, i felt as fresh when i got off the bike as when i started and had time to do possibly another 2 laps, race

aha obviously not as easy as your making out :D
    example

20 hours x 24 kilometres per hour = 480km ( rounded off figures)

i did slightly less than 20 hours on the bike and the average was closer to 25km . total distance was approx 477km as each 47km lap was slightly over 47km, i stated previous that i had time to do another one or two laps but i had the race won and didnt need to do the extra distance. couldnt face the climb another couple of times and was starting to hallucinate

anyway well done on winning and having that sort od stamina (and gap at the end)

the internet pedant rides again

jesus, you have to be careful with what words are used and figures in this thread, ha:):):):)

my tiredness was more a mental rather than physichal one, hard to keep your brain occupied for such a long time, especially when your going around in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

jesus, you have to be careful with what words are used and figures in this thread, ha:):):):)

my tiredness was more a mental rather than physichal one, hard to keep your brain occupied for such a long time, especially when your going around in circles.

It maybe that your TRI backround has been sussed out.:D

Good luck to any Boardsies doing one of these races this weekend. I'll be solo-ing the 24hour MTB, so say hello if you see me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 pbull69

Lights all charged... so bring it on!!

I know its been over for a few days – but as no-one else wrote up the Gael Force event, I thought I should offer a personal opinion to Boardsies !
    I had misgivings about the course before I started (see earlier in the thread) but as one competitor said elsewhere, having a ‘time’ from last year gave me a ‘target’ for this year which I failed to resist.
    The venue was Nephin Drive, a couple of miles outside Newport in County Mayo. It is truly spectacular - even in the dark! It's at its most breathtaking from a bike, but perhaps most enjoyable from a car. I think the organisers have a unique approach which may be running to an 'adventure-type' format that has been successful for them with other events. They seem to be a happy family that worked through the night marshalling and shouting encouragement all through. I noticed a mixture of nationalities and accents in the 'family' but a common thread seemed to be a love of the outdoors and of events generally.
    Event HQ was a tented village in the Nephin mountain range where competitors brought and pitched their own village in a level-ish field without too many rocks protruding. Clumps of overgrowing rhododendron gave some shelter and as discovered later were a handy nesting place for midges. Organisers had a larger (white) marquee with some tables for registration, lights and a generator for charging batteries. They also offered competitors a "good wholesome nourishing soup" at some stage during the night and there was a "concessions stand" neither of which I sampled. Riders were briefed there on Saturday noon before the start. Water from the mains was available free and portable toilets were also on-site. I preferred to park my car out on the course where I kept food and drink for myself. I had travelled from Dublin on Friday morning stayed over (the preceding) night in the local hotel. I was not aware of any other cyclist staying in the hotel but there might have been holiday makers there.

The 24-hour event was run on a mixture of roads, predominantly narrow one-lane track (tarred), but with a short length of trunk road – N59 - and some two-lane link roads. It was almost pothole-free which might be unique in Mayo or even in Ireland. It was also rough and in some places there was a lot of loose gravel which made it unusually technical IMO. A small oil-spill entering the main road was an interesting added hazard. Loose sheep meandered over and back (no fences) through the course but by and large did not interfere with my speed. The loose gravel made descending especially tricky and while there were plenty of skid marks, there was no evidence of any fallers. I did meet a few punctures which seemed to me to be more than normal though I had no mechanical issues.

There were two distinct races, both 24-hour duration and using the Central HQ as the single time station with the mountain bikers going off-road and like us, road racers, returning to have their lap time logged on every circuit. The road-bike course ran in a figure of eight, with some of it two-way, but mostly the cyclists went in an anti-clockwise direction. The lap distance I measured was just over 26 Km which I think differed from the official distance. A unique (?) feature was where the course intersected itself (being a figure-eight) and though this was marshalled continuously I worried every time about the potential for a collision with traffic from four directions intersecting. The actual crossroads was obscured so mostly I took the option of slowing to a safe speed on my approach. As it turned out, I need not have worried at all save for that one time when I narrowly avoided disaster due to my own vigilance!

In addition to MTB and road race, there were also team races with 2-, 3- and up to 5-man teams I think. There was also an 8-hour race. But my focus was only the 24-hour road solo.

The route was roller-coaster. The highest point according to my Garmin was 83 metres and lowest 3 with short and sharp hills giving a 200 metre elevation gain on each lap. There was a relentless feel to the hills. Part of the attraction of the area is the landscape. One striking thing is that there is a lack of trees and bushes on some parts which means that there are areas that have little shelter from the wind. The most exposed part of the course is on a lakeshore. The first day there seemed to be a consistently strong breeze - I'd guess about 40 kmph so cycling into that was a struggle. No doubt the glass-half-full brigade will point out that it was a cooling zephyr that practically blew them up the steepest climbs. Oh yeah, did I mention that the scenery is spectacular?

The event began with a mass start. Not your traditional Mass, but everyone lined up for a sprint on a 1½ mile gravel track to the 'transition area' within HQ. In all I'd guess about 50/60 participants with the bulk probably on the MTB course. I set out in runners and lycra at a painfully slow but absolutely punishing jog-trot (jog-trot is slower than jogging and slower still than trotting - somewhere in between moving and not moving at all). This is not in any way to cast aspersions on those two athletes who finished that run in more than the 18 minutes it took me. For example one told me that he was missing an AC ligament in one knee which is something of a drawback I had to agree. Back in transition when I got my breath back I donned my Shimanos (potential sponsors please note) and leaped on to my bike, with the runners safely tucked under my arm for return to my personal pit-lane halfway round the course. On my first lap I passed one guy who had taken to pushing his bike up the steepest slope. In the following 23 hours I succeeded only in passing those who had punctured but as is the norm for me, I witnessed many, many, many bottoms as they swaggered past with that peculiar gait others seem to get when straddling a saddle. Let us say I was more passed than passed upon. However I stuck to my task and must have overtaken many while they rested in transition at HQ.

All-night events for me are a mental as much as a physical challenge. Though I had stocked up well on sleep in the lead-in, I began to yawn at about 8.00 pm and this feeling got worse until dawn which, mercifully, was about 4.00 am. 4.00 am is the middle of the night – but it feels like morning, so there was a sense of being almost finished – even if the clock said there was still 10 hours to go. I noticed that I felt least sleepy on the stiffest climbs and I was most likely to nod off on the flat-ish stretches. For narrow rural roads, I was amazed at the amount of traffic and I was passed on these lanes on several occasions through the event by a small number of cars. These may have been crewing for other riders or just organisers having a spin. I thought this dangerous (for me) but they seemed blissfully unaware. Around 1.00 pm on Sunday, I shocked and stunned myself by cycling up the steepest gradient for the fifteenth and last time (my one-time experiment of walking having proved slower and tougher). Organisers had warned that while competitors could start their final lap before 2.00 pm which was the official 24-hour cut-off for the finish, that lap would have to be completed within an hour. Since my fastest lap had taken me about 70 minutes my race was run at 1.30 pm. For the record I did 16 laps, with which I was pleased. Chapeau to the winning soloist with his 19 laps. The most laps seemingly were achieved by a two-man team who completed 21. Results are posted on the Gael Force web site. My 'moving time' from my Garmin was 21:30:00. Competitors had to stop on the completion of each lap to be officially scanned – meaning I stopped 15 times as well as organising my own food stops and changes of clothes and lights for the night (as well as bedtime prayers and others things).

As regards the Mountain Bikers I spoke only to one who also did the REK 400. He seemed quite happy with the weekend and seemed to do very well in the Solo MTB event. They, unlike us were plagued by midges. I think at least one MTB'er withdrew because of the dastardly mites. Some wore quite fetching face nets. Fetching – not effective apparently. Out the road course midges to which I think I have an allergy were not a problem.
    A post-event prize giving was well attended in the Newport Hotel. Speeches were mercifully succinct and awards were made. There was a light meal and a very rapid dispersal thereafter. Most were returning somewhat sleepily to civilian life and jobs on the next morning. As it happened my fears of falling asleep on the way upstairs to my bedroom were almost totally unwarranted.

So, to sum up, if you are into 24-hour competition, racing events, ultra-marathon or you are a long-distance cycling purist this is almost certainly an event not for you. But it can be good fun and for me at least, there is a sense of achievement in cycling unsupported through the night. Having tried other long-distance events, a 24-hour is a completely different challenge and one I love. Other courses offer a better chance to explore how far you can cycle in a day. I cannot imagine another course being as tough; those hills and that surface really pounds the body and it will take a few weeks IMO for competitors to be ready to race again. It happens in high season so incorporating it in your schedule takes a lot of planning and means other events have to be missed. They won’t be in such a nice part of the country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Trey W

We wrote a report for the MTB event. Posted here.

Nice one lads. Two enjoyable reports. I'll try and get one written soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement