Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imagine broadband - is it any good?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Can anyone who use imagine broadband packages please tell me if it is any good. I am thinking of going with them but worry that they are as awful as UPC-NTL. I live in Dublin.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

leoly wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone who use imagine broadband packages please tell me if it is any good. I am thinking of going with them but worry that they are as awful as UPC-NTL. I live in Dublin.
    Thanks.

I have it in my house (broadband & phone package) and in my office have had no problem with them 2 years now, had a problem with my broadband in my office but they sorted it out quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fif

I have Imagine Wimax (its wireless) and I am having trouble with it. The broadband is OK but the phone part is not working properly. They said it would work with my SKY box but when phone and box are connected neither of them work properly. I am going to call them tonight to see what they say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I got Imagine Wimax in last month. They came first with the internal receiver/router but it didn't pick up so they said they'd come back and install an external one at no extra cost. Then I got my bill. They took €100 by direct debit for the installation. I queried it and got the run around. Eventually they said they would give me a credit note but not an immediate refund. So effectively they have taken three months upfront. (Illegal I think?) And I keep getting passed around the call centre when I phone up. It's a shame really because the product is quite good.:mad:

PS. I know of two other people who the exact same thing happened to so they're pulling in a fair bit of cash upfront...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

Imagine are Irish Broadband, stay well away. Had them in my last house. About 3 years ago had no BB for 4 months. Kept taking money and kept failing to fix the problem. After about four visits to the house had to throw them out after a "manager" came to sort it, walks in, does not introduce himself and sits there for an hour like i am an idiot in my house. Listen lads, i think its time you all left and dont come back. i cancelled direct debit, took their equipment down myself and would not give it back till i got a 6 month refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Rufus.T.Firefly

Imagine are crap :mad:, I just got rid of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 flame123

Having been fed up with Eircom and trying without fail to resolve numerous issues with them over a 2-3 year period, I eventually gave up the ghost, contacted Imagine and signed up for their "WiMax" product". Last Monday week, it was installed in my home ( indoor router ), I signed up for the 7MB package. Its in just over a week now and I am very very dissapointed with the product. From Day one I have never achieved the top speed. I never expeceted to get 7MB and would have been happy with 5-7MB, but on average its around 1.5MB and some instances its below 1MB

The companies "Customer support" people and "Tech people" are friendly, appear knowledgeable, but I am back to where I was with Eircom,

In my honest opinion, I'd stay well away from them. Any company that does not give you what you are paying for are ripping you off .. no matter what way they dress it up

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

I'm on their normal broadband product (not the wimax one) and can honestly say I've never had an issue with them. Been with them for about a year and am very happy with the service.

I am still waiting on a call to look at my 'internal phone wiring' which is needed in order for my Wimax to work with SKY multiroom. The Wimax box is supposed to plug into my old Eircom phone socket and then all of the other phone sockets will be 'fed' this way to connect the SKY boxes to a phone supply. It sounded fishy from the start but I believed the company when they told me that this has worked before. However, when I connect the Wimax box to the phone socket, I get an engaged tone and the phone doesn't work (and neither are the SKY boxes connected). Supposed to get a call back yesterday, still waiting...can I cancel a contract on the basis that I was told Wimax was compatable with the SKY multiroom but this has not proved to be the case so far?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I got Imagine Wimax in last month. They came first with the internal receiver/router but it didn't pick up so they said they'd come back and install an external one at no extra cost. Then I got my bill. They took €100 by direct debit for the installation. I queried it and got the run around. Eventually they said they would give me a credit note but not an immediate refund. So effectively they have taken three months upfront. (Illegal I think?) And I keep getting passed around the call centre when I phone up. It's a shame really because the product is quite good.:mad:

PS. I know of two other people who the exact same thing happened to so they're pulling in a fair bit of cash upfront...

If they take money without your permission they are in breach of the dd scheme. Under this appalling scheme (and when you start looking into it you realise how appalling it is!) you are entitled to a minimum of 14 days notice of any proposed charges (in other words a bill!). So if they have taken this amount without notice you are entitled to an immediate refund from your bank. (Details of the dd scheme are available at www.ipso.ie) If you have problems ring IPSO they are supposedly in charge of this nonsense - (01)2843409. the really awful thing about the dd scheme as you are finding out is that companies can do what they like without any fear of sanction whatsoever.

http://www.ipso.ie/section/ConsumerCornerDirectDebits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I am with Eircom at the moment and im paying 65 euro a month for 3 mb broadband and phone pack. I have yet to make 1 sinlge call on the phone in the last 10 months. But i cant get rid of it as you need the line rental.

Was looking at imagine but wont i just be in the same situtaion as ill have to keep my line with eircom ?

• Advertisement

I am with Eircom at the moment and im paying 65 euro a month for 3 mb broadband and phone pack. I have yet to make 1 sinlge call on the phone in the last 10 months. But i cant get rid of it as you need the line rental.

Was looking at imagine but wont i just be in the same situtaion as ill have to keep my line with eircom ?

If you get Imagine Wimax you no longer need an Eircom phone line therefore no line rental charge. The receiver that Imagine gives you is a wireless box for your broadband, and you have a phone connected into it for your calls. They can port your Eircom phone number to it, but you no longer have a phone line connection. This means that if the power is out for any reason, you have no broadband AND no phonline. If this doesn't bother you then that's not a problem. However, be aware that if you have phone sockets around the house they will no longer function (no matter what Imagine say) you will have to wire to the Wimax receiver from any phone you want operational. I don't know how things work out if you want to go back to a company that requires a fixed land line with regard to cost of reconnection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

fif wrote: »
    If you get Imagine Wimax you no longer need an Eircom phone line therefore no line rental charge. The receiver that Imagine gives you is a wireless modem for your broadband, and you have a phone connected into it for your calls. They can port your Eircom phone number to it, but you no longer have a phone line connection. This means that it the power is out for any reason, you have no broadband AND no phonline. If this doesn't bother you then that's not a problem. However, be aware that if you have phone sockets around the house they will no longer function (no matter what Imagine say) you will have to wire to the Wimax receiver from any phone yuo want operational. I don't know how things work out if you want to go back to a company that requires a fixed land line with regard to cost of reconnection etc.

I was thinking of getting rid of the house phone altogether as i never use it to make or receive calls. I only got it becasue the eircom deal worked out cheaper to take the phone deal if comparred to just broadband + line rental.

I have heard nothing but bad reports from Wimax that have put me off ill use it for online gaming. I did have digiweb but they changed their signal and i could no longer get it at my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 murf10

fif wrote: »
    I am still waiting on a call to look at my 'internal phone wiring' which is needed in order for my Wimax to work with SKY multiroom. The Wimax box is supposed to plug into my old Eircom phone socket and then all of the other phone sockets will be 'fed' this way to connect the SKY boxes to a phone supply. It sounded fishy from the start but I believed the company when they told me that this has worked before. However, when I connect the Wimax box to the phone socket, I get an engaged tone and the phone doesn't work (and neither are the SKY boxes connected). Supposed to get a call back yesterday, still waiting...can I cancel a contract on the basis that I was told Wimax was compatable with the SKY multiroom but this has not proved to be the case so far?

Having a nightmare with my phone connections,which is needed to be plugged into sky's sat receivers,I have four of them and they said they are going to charge me e70 each a month (e280),I have digiweb the last few years and i have to say the broadband is outstanding,i have phone lines in the back of the modem,which i can make and receive calls with,but it does not support making call backs through the sky boxes,have to change now ,most likely eircome or anyone any ideas, cheers.

Imagine still have not resolved my speed issue. it was suggested to me, than somepeople were "abusing" their download limits and that was "possibly" why I was experiencing slow speeds

I have told them, if its not fixed by Monday next .. I am having it removed:mad:

Imagine sent out an engineer who actually knew what he was talking about - he's an independent contractor. He checked out my phone sockets and could tell immediately that the signal coming from the phone line outside was not soft tone or something. Anyway that meant that when I tried to use my internal phone wiring, the signal from the Eircom phone line - although not a live account anymore - was so strong that it was interrupting things. He disconnected the line coming into my house from the telephone pole altogether, and plugged the Wimax box into one of my telephone sockets and hey presto! SKY boxes connected into other phone sockets around the house now connect no problem and/or a phone will work plugged into any of the existing sockets. SO Wimax is compatible with SKY multiroom, it's just unfortunate it took Imagine so long to sort it, having had several phone conversations with their 'helpline' people who obviously had no idea what they were talking about I had to say I would cancel if it wasn't sorted within the week in order to get a true expert (and all round nice guy: Marty) out to my house to resolve the issue. It's working fine, broadband is perfect for my needs and free local and national calls - 45 euro a month no line rental, Bada Bing I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Hi guys, I have the imagine broadband wimax with phone for 40 euro a month. 40euro isnt bad for 3mb download and unlimited calls you would think.

First of all most of the time I get around 4.5-5.2mb download, however the PING is so high it is unbelievable. I called them up and was on the phone for an hour to them only to realise a month later, 1890 calls are like 20cent a minute, Joke!. I want to have it uninstalled, I only have the standalone one so it shouldn't be too much hassle, the broadband speed is high enough however quality not. I use the Broadband for watching films on my PS3 through the internet and its forever on BUFFER. The phone isn't good either, very poor quality (WORSE than Skype) and the bills are always way over 50Eur a month because say ringing the tax office etc. Im wondering is there a way of getting around the 150EUR disconnection fee?

769721070.png

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Anyone else with imagine ? (when did they change their name
    from Irish broadband ? Only noticed about a month ago)

I'm with them and find it hard to reach 2mb download and 1.5mb upload....ping is high aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Anyone else with imagine ? (when did they change their name
    from Irish broadband ? Only noticed about a month ago)

I'm with them and find it hard to reach 2mb download and 1.5mb upload....ping is high aswell.

They changed their name a good while ago, around september 2009 when they started to advertise their '' wimax, google it '' billboards. Your ping is high too, get onto them, or even cancel, in my opinion NTL is the best and best value. I want to swith, but aint paying 150 to disconnect a service, which is ridiculous.

I've been with Imagine for about three or so years now (they were Irish Broadband when I joined with them).

Honestly, I can't say a bad thing about them. I love them. I have their 'Breeze' product, I believe. It's the ariel stuck onto the roof.

I just did this;

772560245.png

dlspeed.jpgulspeed.jpg

I download a scary amount of stuff and my downloads are always about 350kb/s. I also use XBox LIVE for GTA IV every now and again and can't say I have any huge issues (unless I'm downloading something whilst playing online, then I do get a bit of lag here and there, but nothing huge).

In saying that though, I'm joe soap. I don't know all the ins and outs of broadband or the best set ups for online gaming, etc. All i can tell you is that from m yown experience, IBB/Imagine have been brilliant to me.
    (and no, I'm not associated with them... except as a customer, obviously)

ndubz wrote: »
    They changed their name a good while ago, around september 2009 when they started to advertise their '' wimax, google it '' billboards. Your ping is high too, get onto them, or even cancel, in my opinion NTL is the best and best value. I want to swith, but aint paying 150 to disconnect a service, which is ridiculous.

Ok.

Well I've been with them for years now and well out of the original contract.

I'm only with them as you don't need a phone line (at the time Irish broadband was the only people really to offer this - I'm sure it's different now though )

And we have the unlimited plan,so now limit on usage which is great.I think i havethe same as the post about (the arial on the roof)

I emailed them a few days ago about not being happy with 1.5mb,as I see alot of people here get well over that now....they replied around 2/3 times within around 10 mins which was good,but haven't replied since :(

• Advertisement

I signed up almost 3 weeks ago for their 7MB Wimax product. I have never managed to get higher than 2.5 and only once got above 3 ( 4.2) On average speeds are 1MB and using "you tube" is out of the question about 90% of the time.

Customer service seems good but they have been unable to resolve my speed issues and I am getting it out. The initial cooling of period was 7 days but they extended it to try and sort out the speed issues without success

Thinking now of going to NTL

Same as above.

They emailed me a few times really quicky,but once they got my details they never replied back again.so I emailed them
    2 more times asking what's going on and still no reply.

Getting fed up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Been with Imagine over 2 years now with basic fixed line package (1mb broadband & phone).

Very happy with them. I measured the download speed at almost double that of our neighbours that use the equivalent Vodafone fixed line package (measurements were made a few minutes apart on a couple of occasions).

Anyone else find that Imagine are very quick to send out threatening "pay now or else..." letters. I get my bill by email and they give quite a short window to pay, but I got a letter that my account had been referred to the credit department when it was just over a week overdue, which means the bill was referred some time earlier. I find this a bit odd - it was only the current month, €45, not as if it was cumulative months or anything...I'm leaving them as soon as my minumum term is up, the call quality is awful it keeps breaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Thinking of getting Imagine Wimax in... I won't be using it for phone calls so I don't care about that. Is the broadband service really as bad as people here seem to be saying? Anyone got any experience of the service in Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's Midband, not Broadband,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's enough about this in the Midband forum without dragging up old threads here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement