Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast Surfers

Options
  • 26-03-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

I have not been able to get out surfing in ages (damn 9-5.30!) wondering is there many ppl on here around dublin/wicklow that go surfing much at the weekends??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Me and a few friends head every 3 weeks or so, theres usually a spare seat in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I have set up a carpool club if your interested. email eastcoastcarpool1@gmail.com

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

I feel your pain. Though with the new Dublin-Galway motorway a few surf spots are within better reach now.

there were a few of killiney this morn and decent enough swell comin into bray this morn too. was gonna say 'f*ck you work' but remembered board is still at home in fundoran!!!

heres to the weekend then

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

This eve low tide Killiney, MM on friday look good

• Advertisement

Where is MM??

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

I didnt know you could surf at all on the East Coast really. Do you have to be good to catch the more difficult wave or can complete novices like me still have the craic out in somewhere like Killiney or Bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

east coast near brittas is MM... great spot.... surfed there many a time..

really need to sort a proper east coast surf group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

I haven't surfed Magheramore myself but in relation to Mini Driver's post above, going by its reputation for powerful rips etc, and the dynamics during a northerly swell, it's not a safe place for complete novices. Any further thoughts on this?

east coast near brittas is MM... great spot.... surfed there many a time..

really need to sort a proper east coast surf group

email me at eastcoastcarpool1@gmail.com and i can add you to the lst if your interested

frAg

• Advertisement

Thanks !! email on the way

Surfer

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

Edmc wrote: »
    I haven't surfed Magheramore myself but in relation to Mini Driver's post above, going by its reputation for powerful rips etc, and the dynamics during a northerly swell, it's not a safe place for complete novices. Any further thoughts on this?

+1,
    Northerly/Northeasterly swell results in a strong rip out to sea along the cliff.

If you arent sure dont go out.

agreed...about ANY location....If unsure or feel out of depth , dont go out

as regards Maghermore , Ive surfed there alot...and never felt it too be dangerous....but I suppose that cause I know it well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

agreed...about ANY location....If unsure or feel out of depth , dont go out

as regards Maghermore , Ive surfed there alot...and never felt it too be dangerous....but I suppose that cause I know it well

They had to call the RNLI for 3 surfer swept out to sea there before don't take it for granted

Again.... Its about knowledge and common sense....

Agreed ANYONE can get into difficulty but reduce the chance by surfing with friends and knowing the area.......

Once people stay safe and enjoy themselves thats the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Maghermore can defo be dangerous. I made the experience the hard way, went into a current where there was no way out for me with paddling, would have been washed to the rocks...

Luckily someone saved me, otherwise I would have to let my board go and pray the waves wouldn't drag me on the rocky ground.
    Wasn't there alone, my surf buddy just wasn't very alert and everything went so quick.

So be careful, there's a stream coming into the sea and obviously when the tide is coming in, there can occur strong currents which drag you to the east and if you're dragged around the rocks, there's no beach anymore and you're lost in the open sea!!
    So be careful there and stay together, it was an unpleaseant experience, I don't wish anybody to make, I actually feared for my life!

Would be still interesting for me, as I never found out if this current was an extreme exception, or if it is always/often there?
    Anybody knows? Would be good to know.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Well at least you're to tell the tail, better to washed onto rocks with your baord than ever ditching it! Currents can drag you under too remember while your board always floats, and thankfully Irish sea isnt prone to massive whirlpools so stay with your board at all costs!

Basic knowledge of the beach, on a heavy ish day in MM there will be alot of water moving around. Same as Tullan/Strandhill etc when onshore or heavy swell = far more currents.

With MM, on a heavy day from the top of the cliff where everyone checks from use that as your guide and stay right of there towards the headland as you look out. Opp the river is good for using the rip to get out on these days but if not strong enough paddler just get in on the right, and come back in as soon as you are moving too far up the beach. The closer to the headland you are, you wont have to worry about the drag northwards.

Dont surf here on a northerly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

tara73 wrote: »
    Maghermore can defo be dangerous. I made the experience the hard way, went into a current where there was no way out for me with paddling, would have been washed to the rocks...

Luckily someone saved me, otherwise I would have to let my board go and pray the waves wouldn't drag me on the rocky ground.
    Wasn't there alone, my surf buddy just wasn't very alert and everything went so quick.

So be careful, there's a stream coming into the sea and obviously when the tide is coming in, there can occur strong currents which drag you to the east and if you're dragged around the rocks, there's no beach anymore and you're lost in the open sea!!
    So be careful there and stay together, it was an unpleaseant experience, I don't wish anybody to make, I actually feared for my life!

Would be still interesting for me, as I never found out if this current was an extreme exception, or if it is always/often there?
    Thanks.

You made a few basic beginner mistakes - hope the scare hasn't put you off and that's why you are selling your gear.
    For the next time

For the next time if you are caught in a rip stay on your board, if you try to swim more of your body is in the rip and you'll be carried faster, also if you get tires - well your board will float you, you won't drown (as easily)

Don't paddle against the rip normally they dissipate in deeper water and are also only 10 or 20 meters wide so paddle parallel to the shore - if there are wave breaking properly then there's no rip there so paddle towards them then head inshore.

Learn to sport rip look for
    where the water looks churned or the surface in uneven

where waves break the appear to slow down or back off and stop breaking, that where the rip as zapping their energy so they get smaller and stop breaking. Often the white water appears to bounce in front of the wave then fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

@ SpaceHopper
    haha, no, that's not the reason to sell it..:)
    thanks for your tips and thanks conman as well.

I think I tried to stay on the board, but it wasn't possible. the waves where too strong for that and they came from everywhere and pushed me off the board. so I just drifted towards the rocks with the waves and with a board on the ankle, even more dangerous...

did anybody of you ever went into a current stronger than youself? it's an experience, I can say, not a nice one as there's completely helplessness as you watch yourself being dragged whereever...

Before, my friend was at my side, he said we should paddle more to the beach again as he was realising we were drifting too much to the east and I started to paddle after him and the same second I was in this current and he was nowwhere to be seen...

That's why I'm so interested if it is always like that there and when I tell my story I just think of helping in warning others to protect them from the same thing happening. Because if I read SpaceHoppers post, that there had to be saved 3 people, I think people should be made aware of the danger there.

tara73 wrote: »

Thanks.

Defo good to let people know !!!

Sorry to hear about the fright you got...General rule of thumb is for me.. I never surf alone , and If Im in a new spot , I make sure Im with a local or in a group

Stay safe peoples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Nothing wrong with surfing alone, I had a dream session yesterday with just my longboard and not a soul to be seen for miles :D

IF it works for you cool...Logic dictates , if youre alone , no one can help ya....simples

enjoy the waves !

rodento wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with surfing alone, I had a dream session yesterday with just my longboard and not a soul to be seen for miles :D
    Yes if you are competent surfer, a confident swimmer and you have the ability to read the ocean and spot rips, submerged rocks/reef etc.

Given the amount of beginners posting here and the context in which they are posting (i.e. the dangers of a particular spot) do you not think that its a bit irresponsible to post comments like that?

If you are surfing alone, you should tell someone when/where you are surfing and what time you expect to be out of the water, even if you are a competent.

Whats to stop that 9ft log knocking you out cold when you kick off a wave in a light offshore?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If you are surfing alone, you should tell someone when/where you are surfing and what time you expect to be out of the water, even if you are a competent.

Whats to stop that 9ft log knocking you out cold when you kick off a wave in a light offshore?

Telling someone on land is always good advise!

Proper control of your board should keep you safe. Stall your log instead of kicking off right? Always kick the board off towards shore. If you get wiped out, protect your head with your arms until you feel a tug on your leash ie your board is far away.

Been out on my own a couple of times in glassy conditions. Its rare to find my local spot quiet though.

kodute wrote: »
    Telling someone on land is always good advise!

Proper control of your board should keep you safe. Stall your log instead of kicking off right? Always kick the board off towards shore. If you get wiped out, protect your head with your arms until you feel a tug on your leash ie your board is far away.

Been out on my own a couple of times in glassy conditions. Its rare to find my local spot quiet though.

hey kodute,
    all good points.
    in my previous quote i meant to type strong offshore, and to make folks aware of the possibilty of the board catching in the wind and flipping over and cracking even experienced surfers in the head!
    Your post describes how to best avoid this!
    Good on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Beginners don't have the ability to get into trouble:rolleyes:

Advertisement