Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave

Options
  • 26-03-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm a male who applied for and was granted parental leave for 2 days per week, my line manager was talking to me today and was saying that there is not proper cover for me when i was off.

He said that a particular event thats due to run later this year cannot go ahead if i'm not here and said indirectly that he wants me to come back.

Would they do this to a lady who's taken maternity leave, i know it's a different issue but still it a legal entitement that i have and was granted.

I do'nt want to seem to be uncooperative but at the same time i feel like my rights are being questioned and i'm a bit unset about it.

I do not want to return for those few days to help out then again i feel like i have to.

Any advice please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Who granted the leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

if it is only for a few days and you haven't made plans, why not help out. seems like the decent thing to do without knowing all the details. never hurts to get a but of goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

If it has been granted by HR and all the relevant forms signed then they can not take back the leave. This happened a guy i know and in the end the company had to allow him take the leave as it was in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Ludo wrote: »
    if it is only for a few days and you haven't made plans, why not help out. seems like the decent thing to do without knowing all the details. never hurts to get a but of goodwill.

I've two bosses, one is there full time the other part time.

The full time boss signed my form and gave approval.

My wife is due a baby round the same time, I divided in two minds, I would like to help out if needed but then again will it make any difference it will be forgotten about the next week and I've gave 3-4 days of leave to them.

On the other hand i told them 3 years ago to find a part time repalcement to help out as i was out sick for a few weeks.

What really bothers me is the fact that if it was a woman taking maternity leave she would not be quizzed about cover or asked to help out.

As well as that if my wife goes into labour when i'm not there, i know there is nothing to say she will not go into labour the 3 other days of the week that i'm in work.

i just do'nt know I'm a bit annoyed in one way and understand in the other sense.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's booked of, they have plenty of time to sort out cover.
    If you were hit by a truck tomorrow they would have to cope with out you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

While you have a legal right to the parental leave imo a lot of companies have it in their contracts that it can only be taken/will be granted "on a business need basis"
    ie. you could request the first 14 weeks of the year and they could technically say "no, but you can your 14 weeks in the summer" (as an example).
    Similarly I would take this to mean that they can specify when they need you in work.

See here for more info
    http://www.worklifebalance.ie/index.asp?locID=46&docID=-1

What does your contract say about your company's policy on parental leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Company policy is irrelevant as the law supersedes it every time and this area is law. THe info is all on the citizens information website. on a mobile now so can't find it. search this forum for a link or Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ludo wrote: »
    Company policy is irrelevant as the law supersedes it every time and this area is law. THe info is all on the citizens information website. on a mobile now so can't find it. search this forum for a link or Google it.

Yes I've acknowledged you have a legal right to it in my post.

My point is while you have a legal right to the time off, generally the company needs to agree the timing of when you take this time off.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/parental_leave

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes I've acknowledged you have a legal right to it in my post.

My point is while you have a legal right to the time off, generally the company needs to agree the timing of when you take this time off.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/parental_leave

True, but my leave was signed off and the days agreed upon that i would be off.

It's amazing that they can dispute an entitlement, i feel like their attitude is that i should not have taken it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

If your employer cant do without you then why not do the few days.

If it were me id be asking for a salary raise while agreeing to it though, given that you are in a strong position. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I take my parental leave one day a week by agreement but it was on the understanding that as they were making a goodwill gesture by allowing me to take it in this way, I would have to make a similar gesture and work on my allocated day if required. In a year and a half I've had to work twice on my PL day. But that was the arrangement we had.
    I'm female by the way but it would be the same for men and women in my place.

Advertisement