Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing veg in containers

Options
  • 26-03-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

What kind of vegetables would I be able to grow in pots or small containers? Is is possible to grow cucumber this way or would it be too difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

a simple way of knowing is

root vegetables like carrots,swedes,potatoes need deep loose soil

anything that grows overground is capable of being containerised providing what is in the container is of good quality

also ph levels(amount of lime in soil) affects growth

cabbage type of plants need very limey soil
    spuds like it a bit acidic

there are loads of websites out there to help

i google how to...... and hit the pages from ireland bit for answers

cucmbers can be grown in containers but you need to put up a few sticksor frame for it to climb up on,and dont forget it needs to be strong enough to hold the weight of a cucumber or 2

when it blossoms leave only a few flowers,this is where the cucumber will grow,too many flowers means too many cucumbers and they wont fatten up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's a type of carrot, I can't remember the name but I got seed in Woodies last year, that's specially designed for containers. Instead of growing down they grow out and wind up spherical. They're very tasty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kylith wrote: »
    There's a type of carrot, I can't remember the name but I got seed in Woodies last year, that's specially designed for containers.

This Irish allotment site says Kundulus or Parmex varieties http://www.allotments.ie/?p=383

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

We're trying potatoes in containers this year. You can get them in garden centres, a bit expensive, about €40 but can be re-used. I can find you a link to buy them on line if you're interested.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oliverdog wrote: »
    We're trying potatoes in containers this year. You can get them in garden centres, a bit expensive, about €40 but can be re-used. I can find you a link to buy them on line if you're interested.

40e...seems expensive, I've been buying Patio Planters for about 17e for three,
    Woods and B&Q stock them as do most garden centres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Oliverdog wrote: »

An ordinary black bin or even an empty compost bag is just as effective, just make holes for drainage.

Advertisement