Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

Options
  • 26-03-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,
    It's about time I started applying for postgrads really, but I'm a bit clueless. Just wondering what the etiquette is with regards references? I'm not really well-known by any lectureres. Also, my first and second year attendance was shocking - will they have a record of that? Obviously all my lecturers have been different this year, and should recognise me as my attendance has been almost perfect in some subjects. Unfortunately the lecturer who would probably know me best happens to be in my worst two subjects for attendance and course work.....
    Will an email suffice or do I have to ask them in person?
    Thanks for any help, anyone I ask is very vague on the subject and I don't want a poor reference!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There's been a few threads about references in the past. You could try here and here and hopefully they'll answer some of your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eile

Thanks! I really agree with the poster who said they feel they've missed the class on how to apply for postgrad!
    You mentioned sending on a CV with the request - just wondering what should be on that? Exam results and subjects I suppose, but presumably the layout, and the rest of the information will need to be different to a standard CV? Will they want personal details/unrelated work experience/past achievements etc? I feel irrationally embarassed about asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Layout would be pretty similar to a standard CV - name, address, contact details (might also be handy to include your student no. too,), DOB

Start with education, obviously, and with final year courses and results first. If you've presented/published any papers then include info on it, too. The same goes if you were in receipt of any scholarship. I'd also include any extra-curricular activities you were involved in (if any) during your time in college.

If you have any relevant work experience relating to the course for which you're applying, then it would be a good idea to include that, too. You could add in a brief section on any work experience/volunteering you've done, but obviously make it as brief as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

I was in your position, none ofthe lecturers knew me (we had no tutorials in college), and i had to approach them and explain my masters. I gave them my c.v. and a sample of my writing, then i went in and talked to them told them why i wanted to do my masters etc. and they wrote me a letter. just remember ur keeping them in a job by paying tuition, its the least they can do :p

Advertisement