Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car insurance/ company car

Options
  • 26-03-2010 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hey everyone, i really hope someone can help me,

im really interested in buying a 1987 peugeot 205 gti! ita a lovely car and its one ive always wanted! my primary car is a company car and would like the 205 to be a car for the weekend etc. I would like to insure it as a classic car but every insurance company will not give me a classic policy because my primary car is not insured under my own name! have tried tem all and then some! does anyone know of a insurance company tat is the exception?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, AXA will do it if you can prove that it won't be your main car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Royston..

thanks il give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you married? And does your spouse own a car? If so it is possible to be a named driver on your wifes' policy and you might get a classic car policy for the 205GTI.

If yes and yes to those two questions, ring First Ireland. Report back here too with your findings!

nope, my gf doesnt drive! she doesnt need a car at the min! id nearly consider buyin a cheap banger and gettin a policy on it but ten id have to store it somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Advertisement

thanks but im nearly sure you need to be over 25 for that policy! im only 23! il give them another try any ways

Saab Ed wrote: »

That doesn't specifically say that you're sorted if you have a company car as your main car though.

That said, I have found First Ireland very flexible and very competitive. The above construction about me being a named driver on my classic car was their suggestion to me!

Royston.. wrote: »
    thanks but im nearly sure you need to be over 25 for that policy! im only 23! il give them another try any ways

Ouch. I don't remember ever reading here about an under 25 year old getting classic insurance, sorry.

How much is it to insure the 205 as your main car? If you have 5 years no claims bonus, surely it would be less than a grand for 3rd party cover? Suffer the relatively high premium until you're 25 and you're laughing. Or wait till your 25 before buying your 205?

I know, as soon as they hear my D O B the door slams shut! i only have one years full no claims bonus on my own policy as i sold my old car wen i was given the comapany car! the ony quotes i recieved are from first ireland and britton insurance and thats for 1,957 euro and even at that i have to do the hibernian ignition course! its a lot of money to be payin for a car that might only be driven once or twice a week! Still i love the car to much not to buy it!

Royston.. wrote: »
    I know, as soon as they hear my D O B the door slams shut! i only have one years full no claims bonus on my own policy as i sold my old car wen i was given the comapany car! the ony quotes i recieved are from first ireland and britton insurance and thats for 1,957 euro and even at that i have to do the hibernian ignition course! its a lot of money to be payin for a car that might only be driven once or twice a week! Still i love the car to much not to buy it!

To be blunt, less than 2k for a hot hatch when you're 23 with only 1 years NCB is as good a deal as you're gonna get. A few years ago no insurance company would have touched you. If you really want your 205 GTI, go for it. Next year your premium should be a good bit lower and then you should be able to get classic insurance some way or other. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

axa will only cover it if car is over 25 yrs of age..i tried them for my cabby...they were havin none of it

ye i dont mind really, the car will be worth it!
    thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

axa will only cover it if car is over 25 yrs of age..i tried them for my cabby...they were havin none of it
    They did a car for me when it was 21, that was 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder is it car-specific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

unkel wrote: »
    That doesn't specifically say that you're sorted if you have a company car as your main car though.

That said, I have found First Ireland very flexible and very competitive. The above construction about me being a named driver on my classic car was their suggestion to me!

Only noticed your previous post now...My Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Anan1 wrote: »
    They did a car for me when it was 21, that was 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder is it car-specific?

i think it depends on having your everyday car insured with them...mine wasnt i was with quinn and just trying axa for a qoute

Advertisement