Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car tax in arrears on second hand car

• 26-03-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm buying car that has been off the road in owners garage for a long time.
    The report shows the last tax expired in 31/03/2008

Will i be liable for trhe arrears if i buy?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No - only for the month you buy the car in onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

kbannon wrote: »
    No - only for the month you buy the car in onwards
    Thanks - thats a fact ....right?

egan007 wrote: »
    Thanks - thats a fact ....right?

Yes, Mr KBannon is 100% correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

get a tax renewel form from the guards or tax office , and fill it in to say the car hasn't been on the road from the day the tax ran out until the end of this month ,, get this signed and stamped by your local friendly gardai and then take it to your tax office and tax it ....

obviously don't do this until the 1st of next month , so if you buy the car today , just keep it in the garage for a few more days if you can , otherwise you'd be driving around with no tax , which is naughty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

You wont be liable as the garage will give you a form stamped to show it was off the road.

If i were in your shoes id ask the garage to tax it for 3 months for you as part of the deal or maybe give them the money to tax it as youll be waiting approximately 1-2 weeks for the log book to come back in your name and you could run into a check point and you might have a bit of hassle.

It would be simple for them to tax it for you..

• Advertisement

The egan chap cannot make a declaration that the car has been off the road as he only has the sellers word for it, there is no need to anyway, he is only liable for the tax for months that he owns it and it is being driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

that's actually a better idea ,,

cronin_j wrote: »
    You wont be liable as the garage will give you a form stamped to show it was off the road.

If i were in your shoes id ask the garage to tax it for 3 months for you as part of the deal or maybe give them the money to tax it as youll be waiting approximately 1-2 weeks for the log book to come back in your name and you could run into a check point and you might have a bit of hassle.

It would be simple for them to tax it for you..

Who mentioned a garage ??
    I love the way simple issues get cloudy as feck sometimes, we have a simple questioned answered, now folks are suggesting declarations are the way to go and also that the "garage" can tax it, what garage ?? :D

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

RoverJames wrote: »
    Who mentioned a garage ??
    I love the way simple issues get cloudy as feck sometimes, we have a simple questioned answered, now folks are suggesting declarations are the way to go and also that the "garage" can tax it, what garage ?? :D

lol

well the previous owner then, who cares its the same thing your post is only splitting hairs..

Option 1, buy car, tax it from month you own it when you get the reg form in the post, if stopped by a Garda explain you only bought it.

Option 2, request seller to tax it, seller has to go to Garda station and decare that it was off road until now, seller than must spend a good while in his local tax office to tax it. Sale can now be completed.

Mmmmm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RoverJames wrote: »
    Option 1, buy car, tax it from month you own it when you get the reg form in the post, if stopped by a Garda explain you only bought it.

Option 2, request seller to tax it, seller has to go to Garda station and decare that it was off road until now, seller than must spend a good while in his local tax office to tax it. Sale can now be completed.

Mmmmm :rolleyes:

and considering it has been off the road for some time, whats the chances its insured? if its not insured it cant be taxed. the seller will not go to the bother of insuring it to tax it.

best option is buy the car, download the form from the net, get it stamped and tax it yourself.
    Edit - forgot i had it saved on my pc - http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,489,en.pdf

Advertisement