Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations Please...

Options
  • 26-03-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

My four year old daughter is really interested in how things grow ect and so I am looking for some ideas for flowers, vegtables ect that are really easy to grow. I am not green fingered at all so anything thats really simple would be ideal. We planted some sunflower seeds yesterday, but would like something to grow inside too.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Cress. Instant results grown on cotton wool..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I grew carrots and scallions with my daughters when they were little and they loved it. The carrots can be picked when they're small and tender. You could also sow mixed lettuce leaves and they're ready to be picked as baby leaves in 2-3 weeks. They sell packets of seeds with this in mind. The sunflowers are a great idea, we used to plant one each and have a competition to see whose one grew the tallest.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Chives are really easy to grow on a window sill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put a folded sheet of kitchen paper in a jam jar so it lies around the walls of the jar, put a crumpled bit in the middle to hold it in place. Half fill with water and slide a few beans (from a sead packet or a supermarket pack of dried beans) between the paper and the glass. You won't get beans but it is very interesting to watch the shoot and roots sprout.

If you get a packet of seeds (runner beans) you could plant them out when the weather gets warmer. Make a wigwam of sticks for them to grow up when they sprout and you should be able to pick beans.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

heres a few easy to grow flowers...

candytuft, pansies, calendula, sweet pea, annual poppies, nastritiums, sunflowers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement