Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I retire due to ill health at a young age?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all I was diagnosed with a serious long term illness last year and its looking increasingly likely that I will have to give up work due to my long commute (3 hrs) :(. Does anyone know is it possible to retire due to ill health at a young age , as opposed to just leaving my job? and if so what benefits would I be entitled to claim for?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

have a look here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/disability-and-illness
    you can claim some pensions at a young age if you have enough stamps.As for private stuff I don't have a clue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ralph123 wrote: »
    Hi all I was diagnosed with a serious long term illness last year and its looking increasingly likely that I will have to give up work due to my long commute (3 hrs) :(. Does anyone know is it possible to retire due to ill health at a young age , as opposed to just leaving my job? and if so what benefits would I be entitled to claim for?

In general- in order to give up work as a result of an LTI- you would have to be examined by a doctor of the Department of Social and Family Affairs (or if a public sector employee- the Chief Medical Officer)- and declared incapable of working indefinitely.

From the very brief information you've given- it seems that the commute is more an issue for you- than working itself? I was travelling for between 3 and 4 hours most day- and really couldn't cope with it. I decided to explore moving into a different role- which did not involve a long commute. I'm on half the salary I was on previously- but I get 2 hours extra sleep a night, can get in and out of work in 10-15 minutes, and have a lot less stress in work. Sure the cut in pay is difficult- but you do really have to ask yourself whether your health is worth more than the better salary........

Simply having a long term illness- does not entitle you to retire early- the illness would have to be such that you were fully incapable of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

If it's of interest to you, I know people who have retired young with M.E./Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

One sneaky thing I've seen happen with people who have/their company have income protection policies is the following: sometimes people think they can't work full-time but might be able to work reduced hours e.g. job-share, less hours, etc. Sometimes they find this is still too much for them. It can happen that then all the person is entitled to is the fraction e.g. 2/3 of the reduced hours. So people have to be careful when reducing their hours in such circumstances.

Advertisement