Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new phone

Options
  • 26-03-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

i'm looking to buy a new phone and would like some help

i'd like a touchscreen with internet and wifi and a music player
    not sure which operator (probably billpay with o2 as thats who i'm with now)
    i'd like to be able to watch sports live on it so it will need to be able to support mobile tv and will need plenty of memory as i like listening to music when not watching sports
    i was thinking of an i=phone or the nokia n97 or something similar any help will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

N900 , N82 ...... or if you can wait a couple of months there will be another Nokia out there - to be honest I have't a clue if they are any good, I have an N97 - I dont watch TV on it, but I find it an ok phone, I upgraded from a N95.

not into the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 borotom

cheers i'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I wouldn't recommend an N97. It's a great phone in it's own right but it's simply not as groundbreaking as the N95 8GB was. It's essentially an N95 with a qwerty keyboard, a higher res screen and touch support. It would have been a great phone had it not been for the OS which just does not work well as a touchscreen OS.

The n900 however is an excellent phone, it's probably the most open phone out there. It can do almost anything. Hell, if your so inclined you can run Android on the phone alongside it's main OS. IMO, it's simply brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

N900 gets my vote too - does everything you want and probably more besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ya i was in the same boat as you did a lot of research and decidied that right now the N900 is just about the best phone out there for the life of me cannot figure out why its not more popular :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

for the life of me cannot figure out why its not more popular :confused:

because it only appeals to geeks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

because it only appeals to geeks .

I sympathise if the Nokia N900 is too technically advanced for some people. However, as a grandmother who is managing fine with hers, I certainly don't see myself as a geek ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i cannot program write code or use command lines very well but if i get stuck using any device google talks me through the problem (most times:) ) i wouldn't call this phone geeky its just alot more open source (the community creates its own content) than any other phone on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

In terms of openess the scale would be something like this (Based on the phones i've used)

iPhone OS - By far the most closed source and restrictive OS out there, it's a great OS but it's absolutely closed source.

Symbian OS - Closed source but not that restrictive, quite easy to hack and Nokia don't seem to be too proactive in preventing it being hacked.

Android OS - Open source but doesn't give that much power to the user. Has the potential to be a great open source OS.

Maemo - The most open source OS imaginable. You have full root access and can literally do as you like with the OS. There are no restrictions and no boundaries. Hell you can even install another OS alongside Maemo if you wished to.

I'd take the n900 any day.

i've just been offered an unlocked samsung h1 for a resonable price does anyone have one of these or have any thoughts on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

I got a present of one of these unlocked.Disaster of a phone.I mostly use vodafone but sometimes use three.Even with three sim everything has to go through the vodafone360 thing.GPS,internet etc.You can use it as a stand alone phone just for calls and texts.
    It does have a nice touch screen.Vodafone say new firmware on the way which will improve the whole system.I'll believe it when I see it.
    Had to go back to the trusty old N95 8 GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Have a look at the HD2, really great phone, available on O2 billpay.

borotom wrote: »
    i'm looking to buy a new phone and would like some help

i'd like a touchscreen with internet and wifi and a music player
    not sure which operator (probably billpay with o2 as thats who i'm with now)
    i'd like to be able to watch sports live on it so it will need to be able to support mobile tv and will need plenty of memory as i like listening to music when not watching sports
    i was thinking of an i=phone or the nokia n97 or something similar any help will be appreciated
    it's my birthday soon and i've been told to choose between the htc desire and the samsung wave hd for a present anyone got any thoughts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

it's my birthday soon and i've been told to choose between the htc desire and the samsung wave hd for a present anyone got any thoughts
    I would choose the Desire. Check out the Android forum for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Reviews of the Wave seem to be pretty positive.. but Samsung's track record on phones is kind of patchy. I think many would say go with the desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

Samsung wave is the lasted and the first phone powered with super AMOLED, the screen is awesome, its first time some one come up with a really good direct sunlight usability thing. other spec r almost the same with desire, lit bit smaller screen than desire but the design of the phone is more sexy and attractive. Its also the first bada OS (samsung own operating system) phone. mobile gurus r giving mix reviews of this product. app store of samsung dont have many apps at the moment as well. its good to have a sexy and nice phone in the hand but if u r looking for wide range of apps, full flash support and market leader then go for desire :cool:

very nice review at gsmarena
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8500_wave-review-480.php

Advertisement