Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tax book cheats

• 26-03-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity. Say I wanted to buy this Saab 900 turbo
    Saab 900 Turbo (1993)

looks like ordinary SAAB 900, 2 ltr 16v on tax book.
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201012197348210

How would I actually go about making it legit?
    Just tell the tax office and the insurance that it's in fact a turbo and that's it?
    Or would there have to be an engineers report or something?
    And what would happen to the previous owner?

(btw, I don't want to buy that Saab)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Wouldnt the tax be the same as it'd be taxed on the old cc system? And when you give the insurance the reg of the car the exact model/trim/etc would come up on their system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the engine number is different from the reg cert, the tax office would want a written statement (headed paper) from the garage that fitted it. At least, that was what I had to provide about 14 years ago!

Regarding insurance, it would certainly be very foolish not to declare the engine/modification.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Gitb1 wrote: »
    Wouldnt the tax be the same as it'd be taxed on the old cc system? And when you give the insurance the reg of the car the exact model/trim/etc would come up on their system
    Yes, in this case the tax would be the same anyway. But if the entry on the reg cert is wrong, the insurance would not know it's a turbo. The Saab may be a bit of a benign example, but we've all seen the Japanese performance cars that pretended to be humble family saloons
    esel wrote: »
    If the engine number is different from the reg cert, the tax office would want a written statement (headed paper) from the garage that fitted it. At least, that was what I had to provide about 14 years ago!

So far I've imported two vehicles where there was no mention of the engine number on the original paperwork and the number itself couldn't be seen on a quick inspection.
    So the VRT people entered a random part of the chassis number as the engine number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No car has a tax book that says its a turbo on it anyway, all its concerned with is the cc of the engine.

Its legit as it is, just tell your insurance company its the turbo version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

draffodx wrote: »
    No car has a tax book that says its a turbo on it anyway, all its concerned with is the cc of the engine.

Its legit as it is, just tell your insurance company its the turbo version

Well mine says Tfsi & also gives the BHP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement