Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tikka t3 tactical

Options
  • 26-03-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

anyone have a tikka t3 tactical and how is it going or anyone have an opinion on it?

tommy:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I have a 24" one in .223 Rem and love it! Very accurate straight out of the box. Has a nice tight twist which will allow you fire heavier rounds which is good if you fancy long range target shooting. Lovely standard factory trigger too.

They are pretty heavy though so it depends on what you want to use it for.

Poulo6.5 has been having great results with his one out to 500 yards in .223!

Plenty others on here using them too so you will get plenty of information.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ive a 20" .223, there pretty common these days nothing but good reports from everyone iv met who also has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

i also have one with the 24" barrel
    wouldn swap it for anything,im very happy with it
    very accurate rifle and have yet to see a bad report on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

sorry guys forgot to ask what are you using it for target or hunting?

tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    sorry guys forgot to ask what are you using it for target or hunting?

tommy

hunting and informal target shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

was considering getting one for hunting thanks for the info...

tommy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a 20 inch one on the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've a 24 inch one and I'm sorry I didn't go for a 20, just purely for handiness sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

What kinda money are they lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

greenpeter wrote: »
    Duffy is €1625 or so. Goin to change to a tikka t3 varmint in the future well once my renewals come back. Great gun and deadly accurate. Was thinking a swift but the rounds are just to dear for targets.

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=166
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=23

• Advertisement

greenpeter wrote: »

Give Mervyn Young a ring!

I was up with him yesterday to collect my scope and a few bits and pieces, huge selection of gear up there and Mervyn is a Gent!

20 inch is the way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

murph226 wrote: »
    Give Mervyn Young a ring!

I was up with him yesterday to collect my scope and a few bits and pieces, huge selection of gear up there and Mervyn is a Gent!

20 inch is the way to go!
    Where is he Murph?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

elius wrote: »
    Duffy is €1625 or so. Goin to change to a tikka t3 varmint in the future well once my renewals come back. Great gun and deadly accurate. Was thinking a swift but the rounds are just to dear for targets.

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=166
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=23
    Just wondering Elius what are the twist rate options with the T3 Varmint?
    Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

kay 9 wrote: »
    Just wondering Elius what are the twist rate options with the T3 Varmint?
    Cheers...

According to the tikka website they come in a 8" or 12"
    Look here.

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Varmint.pdf

Lads whats the major difference between barrel lengths 20" and 24"
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

elius wrote: »
    According to the tikka website they come in a 8" or 12"
    Look here.

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Varmint.pdf

Lads whats the major difference between barrel lengths 20" and 24"
    Cheers

Bullet stabilization and muzzle jump

Longer barrel bullet is more stable
    Barrel jumps less for follow up shot

Bullet stabilization and muzzle jump

Longer barrel bullet is more stable
    Barrel jumps less for follow up shot

do you think it would be noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Noticable depanding on range, I have the 24 in .308, great gun very accurate, almost as good as guns that are twice the price, i couldnt find a big enough difference to justify spending twice the money. If you hunting out to 300 yds or there abouts the shorter barrel would be just fine, remember the weight, beyond those ranges for hunting or target the longer barrel certainly helps improve the accuracy over lponger distances. It all about range/weight considerations imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

hk wrote: »
    Noticable depanding on range, I have the 24 in .308, great gun very accurate, almost as good as guns that are twice the price, i couldnt find a big enough difference to justify spending twice the money. If you hunting out to 300 yds or there abouts the shorter barrel would be just fine, remember the weight, beyond those ranges for hunting or target the longer barrel certainly helps improve the accuracy over lponger distances. It all about range/weight considerations imho

sound advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    anyone have a tikka t3 tactical and how is it going or anyone have an opinion on it?

tommy:confused:

hi tommyboy. i have a tikka t3 tactical 20" barrel and i use it for everything from rabbits to fox and anything else that moves. i'v shot it out to 500y on steel. and so far 307y on bunny's but weather permitting that will change to longer ranges.

the rifle its self is a bit heavier than your standard hunting rifle but has a nice balance to it
    its a sturdy built rifle with a lovely smooth action
    the tac has a 1 in 8 twist and can handle 75gr match ammo very well however i use the 55gr hornady v-max with great results for hunting.

if you want you can check out some of my past post's and you will see some results from my tikka.

my advise is any tikka would be a good buy, you can get it in the light hunter version in almost any caliber, or there is a range of varmint barreled rifles again in almost every caliber. the tactical comes in 3 calibers .223 .308 and 300 min mag however i dont know if the winny is sold here in ireland. they come in 20" or 24"

i hope that helps and if you have any questions let me know.;)

happy hunting

• Advertisement
Advertisement