Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topaz castlecomer rd

Options
  • 26-03-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

so you go in. You want bread. you read the lable. its €1.35. You get to the till. he scans it. its now €2.35. The computer says its €2. 35 so its €2. 35....doesnt matter a damn what any lable on the shelf says. In fact, if you take a walk around, there are lots of labels not matched up with the products behind them on the shelf. I try to avoid going in but the odd time I do, its almost impossible to know what the price will be at the till.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mick kk wrote: »
    so you go in. You want bread. you read the lable. its €1.35. You get to the till. he scans it. its now €2.35. The computer says its €2. 35 so its €2. 35....doesnt matter a damn what any lable on the shelf says. In fact, if you take a walk around, there are lost of labels are up to date with the products behind them on the shelf. I try to avoid going in but the odd time I do, its almost impossible to know what the price will be at the till. Anyone else out there hav this experience?

Which topaz?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

the bigger one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just curious which one as I'm from that area. Sounds like a dose of laziness, I've had this at work in the past. Someone in HQ changes the price but forgets to tell us, the people doing the labeling and it cheeses me off no end especially when it's on TV adverts. What you should do is refuse to pay the difference, whilst they're not legally obliged to honour the marked price it is common practice to do this. If he's worried about the till not balancing you can suggest he writes a note and puts it in the till, I have to do this every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

the bigger one

Have had far too many unpleasant experiences with that petrol station, so refuse to go there now. Once went up at 10:50, and was told they had stopped serving as they close at 11, and were getting ready to close. When I pointed out that there was still 10 minutes to go before 11, they still wouldn't serve me. Seemed to me the staff were more interested in getting out as soon as possible after 11 than actually serving customers. Had to drive down the road to the other Topaz, minor inconvenience, but something about that particular experience really annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

so you go in. You want bread. you read the lable. its €1.35. You get to the till. he scans it. its now €2.35. The computer says its €2. 35 so its €2. 35....doesnt matter a damn what any lable on the shelf says. In fact, if you take a walk around, there are lots of labels not matched up with the products behind them on the shelf. I try to avoid going in but the odd time I do, its almost impossible to know what the price will be at the till.

from http://www.consumerassociation.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=11

Under the Consumer Protection Act it is an offence for retailers to make false or misleading claims about goods or prices.

If the retailer accepts your money without informing you that the price displayed is different than that is misleading pricinmg and the retailer is liable to prosecution

I believe this was a huge issue with Tesco some years ago - they knowingly displayed incorrect pricing on shelves and didn't inform the consumer when they went to the till

• Advertisement

[QUOTE= www.citizensinformation.ie[/URL]]If a retailer makes a mistake and the actual price for the item is more than that displayed the retailers have certain rights. They do not automatically have to sell you the goods at the price stated. It is the retailer's responsibility to correct the mistake as soon as possible. If the retailer knowingly charges more for a product than is displayed an offence may be committed. Generally, if you are told the correct price before you pay, you have no right to redress. If you notice the error after you have paid, you should bring the matter to the retailer's attention who, most likely, would refund you the difference. You could also report the matter to the National Consumer Agency. The office will investigate the complaint with the objective of ensuring future compliance with the Act. This however does not mean financial redress for the individual complainant. [/QUOTE]

This is taken advantage of.

source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

It was, is, and always will be The Jet to me.

Unfortunately, they neither have the customer service or the savage ice cream cones of The Jet. :(

Ollchailin wrote: »

Unfortunately, they neither have the customer service or the savage ice cream cones of The Jet. :(

+1 and those cones were savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if it's labeled 1.85 your legally entitled to ask for it for 1.85 thats about the only thing i learned from my junior cert business class... or else it's false advertising or something along that lines

but you are entitled to buy it for 1.85 if it's marked 1.85

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    if it's labeled 1.85 your legally entitled to ask for it for 1.85 thats about the only thing i learned from my junior cert business class... or else it's false advertising or something along that lines

but you are entitled to buy it for 1.85 if it's marked 1.85

Wrong, see previous post.

• Advertisement

I actually need money now to pay for my pizza so I'm heading up there now. Just thought, I can get my Coke there instead of paying Mizzoni €2.50 or what ever it is, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I cant possibly describe how much I hate this service station. The ridculasly high prices on the shelves, the even higher prices on the till, the fact they dont want you in there 30mins after they open and 30mins before they close, the constant blatent shop lifting, the huge group of kids smoking at 3.30 to 5.00 and worst of all it is the closest shop to me with the next closest being the little brother which also annoys me for the same reasons.

I cant possibly describe how much I hate this service station. The ridculasly high prices on the shelves, the even higher prices on the till, the fact they dont want you in there 30mins after they open and 30mins before they close, the constant blatent shop lifting, the huge group of kids smoking at 3.30 to 5.00 and worst of all it is the closest shop to me with the next closest being the little brother which also annoys me for the same reasons.

FYI: Their cash machine is out of money so I went to Johns Green. Yes, they most certainly do not want you there after 10ish. The two Polish lads there are grand. I would like to add, I live 500meters max from there and you could count on one hand the number of times I've been there this year. I only ever go there when I need a bottle of lucozade sport before a long ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Ollchailin wrote: »

Well said that man. The biggest and best cone anywhere in Ireland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Oh good, it's not just me then who dislikes this service station. Some of the staff working in there act as if customers are this horrible inconvenience sent to ruin their day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There is (was?) an ould wan in there who is a right wagon.... I'm talking a true tempered battle axe. You'd feel bad asking her for a four euro quick pick or twenty johnny blue and a packet of red Rizla.

But it turns out it wasn't an attitude problem as was my original thesis. She is just an outright ignoramus and should be prevented from interaction with the public in any professional capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ha ha, I used to work there, when it was Statoil. My dad sold stuff cakes and apple tarts there when it was the Jet, can't beat a cone from the Jet

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There is (was?) an ould wan in there who is a right wagon.... I'm talking a true tempered battle axe. You'd feel bad asking her for a four euro quick pick or twenty johnny blue and a packet of red Rizla.

But it turns out it wasn't an attitude problem as was my original thesis. She is just an outright ignoramus and should be prevented from interaction with the public in any professional capacity.

haha, what an intro!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Well said that man. The biggest and best cone anywhere in Ireland :D

They used to have the biggest and best cones, now they have the biggest and best coneheads :-) it's progress

I think someone in there may have read this, I was in there yesterday (or the day before) and it was full of cheer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

did ye know that jet service stations are still alive and well in this country! (sligo and roscommon anyways, should of stopped for a cone!);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

A cone and a Marathon bar and a copy of the Evening Press and ten black jacks and fruit salads mixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think someone in there may have read this, I was in there yesterday (or the day before) and it was full of cheer.

:D

I would certainly hope that they did. To be fair there are some people working in there who are pleasant all the time but there are quite far too many sour faces in the shop too.

Advertisement