Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

undersink heating unit?

• 26-03-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi Im just wondering if anyone help. I want to heat water in a unit underneath the sink capable of supplying enough for a 10-15min shower. Is there a unit I can get for this? What kind of pressure can I expect, the tank is pumped at 3bar, would it still pump out the water through the unit at that? Putting an electric shower in isnt an option by the way, and anyway I want to feed the taps aswell. Or what about a combi boiler to do it, what kind of costs are they these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

curadh wrote: »
    Hi Im just wondering if anyone help. I want to heat water in a unit underneath the sink capable of supplying enough for a 10-15min shower. Is there a unit I can get for this? What kind of pressure can I expect, the tank is pumped at 3bar, would it still pump out the water through the unit at that? Putting an electric shower in isnt an option by the way, and anyway I want to feed the taps aswell. Or what about a combi boiler to do it, what kind of costs are they these days?

No

why cant you get an electric shower. Or even a T80 mains fed shower

Can you explain your plumbing a little more.

Undersink units come in various sizes but the adverage is 15 litres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Undersink units come in various sizes but the adverage is 15 litres

And the one's that would supply enough water are way to big to fit under a sink.

If you have 3bar pressure the combi would be a great option. A combi depending on make would cost between €700 - €900 to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Cant put in an electric shower, and anyway need hot water to the taps aswell.
    What about a copper hot water cylinder in the space beside the sink, ie. under the drainer, could you get one around 700 or 800mm high? just enough to do a 10 minute shower. dunno what that is in litres at 3 bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cant put in an electric shower, and anyway need hot water to the taps aswell.
    What about a copper hot water cylinder in the space beside the sink, ie. under the drainer, could you get one around 700 or 800mm high? just enough to do a 10 minute shower. dunno what that is in litres at 3 bar.

No.. If you work out the flow rate at 3 bar it will give you an idea. With respect your looking for answers asking questions but not giving enough information on your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You can get over sink water heaters, (they don't have to be over sink, only that they are too large to fit under sink) Sizes up to 150L.

As suggested you could get a pressurised cylinder, they come in all sizes up to 1000L

Just to update on this, spoke with rvr in kerry, they do a tank that may fit and do the trick. question is at 3 bar how quickly would it use up 80l.
    Trying to weigh up the options...to get rid of a perfectly good system boiler for a new combi, or keep the boiler and stick in one of these tanks. Thing is they run on gas. Anyone know of any electric ones you can get.

Joey the lips here is the system again - mains tank - 3 bar pump - 200l cylinder(need to get rid of) - hot and cold stop valves at kitchen sink - system boiler for rads, and hot pipe branching to sinks and showers.

Options I can see are to either switch the boiler, expensive, or install the gas heater tank thing under sink, low cost, or electric shower and small under sink unit, cant do.

If you installe a cylinder that small under your sink at 3bar pressure the hot water would run out before you had a chance to wash the suds of your self.

Where do you live? i.e. house, cottage, mobile home.

****. Really? what if I was to reduce the pressure...other than that its replace the boiler which is a shame its like new. In an apartment.

****. Really? what if I was to reduce the pressure...other than that its replace the boiler which is a shame its like new. In an apartment.

If you live in an apartment then a combi would be ideal. Your incoming mains water would more than likely be boosted from a central location so water pressure with the boiler would not be an issue.

If you get a cylinder that small fitted I think you would end up regretting it. Only two-thirds of the cylinder gets heated to the correct temperature and as you are drawing off, cold water is introduced cooling the hot water that is already in it and you will run cool half way through your shower.

How old is the current boiler?

• Advertisement

thanks johnniek, ye the boilers 2 years old and perfect.heatline.should i try to sell it or is it straight to the bin.I think if Im doin it I should do it right with a combi, but its just the cost.

thanks johnniek, ye the boilers 2 years old and perfect.heatline.should i try to sell it or is it straight to the bin.I think if Im doin it I should do it right with a combi, but its just the cost.

I know it's expensive but you have to think in the long term. If you get something half hearted you could regret it and have problems with it. If you get a combi you might never have to do anything with you hot water/ heating system again for another 10 15 years.

I regard t selling the boiler I have no idea where you would do this. Ebay would come to mind. I have never come across this before. Is your heating system fully controlled? If its not you might qualify for a grant.

dont know what fully controlled means?
    Have you any idea of the cost to install a new boiler? Theres not much pipework as its beside the kitchen sink, and it'll be an upgrade of the same brand heatline so probably the same size, and obviously the systems only 2 years old so flushing the old system shouldnt be a prob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

is the heatline bolier run on gas?
    if so, how much would you be looking for it?

dont know what fully controlled means?
    Have you any idea of the cost to install a new boiler? Theres not much pipework as its beside the kitchen sink, and it'll be an upgrade of the same brand heatline so probably the same size, and obviously the systems only 2 years old so flushing the old system shouldnt be a prob.

Fully controlled is when you can automatically and independently control the hot water and heating by means of a two channel programmer with a room stat and cylinder stat.

the cost would depend on the boiler and work involved it's hard to give a ball park cost and I refuse point-blank when customers ring me up because some of them take it as gospel.

Advertisement