Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish army/defence force uniforms, insignia, equipment etc

• 26-03-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I was just wondering if any one knows of a good (if any) site that gives info on the various patterns of uniforms, medals, ribbon bars etc used by the Irish Army/Defence Force from say the 40's to the present day.

I work in a small private military museum in Carlow town and we have a fair few uniforms, jackets, etc etc of Irish origin that I cant find info on, I'd like to be able to label each with a description of the pattern year, lenght of time used etc. There's a heap of stuff from the late 70's/80's thats puzzling! Its as if anything that was green and looked remotely military like (even if it was a private purchase) was used!! :eek:

I know from the 40's to the 90's we were using ex British stocks of webbing, ie the Pattern '08, '37 and '58 as well as the helmets, its just the uniforms that have me stumpted! Also ribbon bars, I need a guide to identify what is what.

Can anyone point me to a guide?

Comments

Advertisement