Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for taxi users

• 26-03-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

If a cab was to offer you a discount on a fare with a roof sign what would your like to see on the said roof sign when your passing a rank

20% off this taxi
    20% off your journey

etc etc

what would be your first impression to say yes ill get this taxi over any else

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The car could have to be something other than a 01 Almera. If it's a nice big car that's newish and looks well maintained then I'll get in regardless. Your 20% would probably only work best through phone / internet bookings.

My thoughts anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

lol well ive an 07 car so its a decent yoke I must say. Well Ive heard a lot of ppl saying they would choose a car offering discount off the rank before any others thats the reason I ask.

thanks for the input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

blahblah06 wrote: »
    lol well ive an 07 car so its a decent yoke I must say. Well Ive heard a lot of ppl saying they would choose a car offering discount off the rank before any others thats the reason I ask.

thanks for the input

Wouldn't other drivers be a bit p1ssed off if someone skipped them to get in with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

imo any discount on a fare will bring people in

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Wouldn't other drivers be a bit p1ssed off if someone skipped them to get in with you?

Customers are allowed to choose what ever car they want and I'd like to be seen to make an effort and try different avenues then others drivers to get above the rest that are not willing to fight for there falling business

• Advertisement

padz wrote: »
    imo any discount on a fare will bring people in

Ye thats true. I'd be hoping to mainly target students on the pub closing times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

If a cab was to offer you a discount on a fare with a roof sign what would your like to see on the said roof sign when your passing a rank

20% off this taxi
    20% off your journey

etc etc

It's illegal you cant do it,TR doesnt allow anything on roof sign as you know IF you are a "driver"...Only things permitted on roof sign are the number and taxi company number ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

oisindoyle wrote: »
    It's illegal you cant do it,TR doesnt allow anything on roof sign as you know IF you are a "driver"...Only things permitted on roof sign are the number and taxi company number ...

You are right; it is illegal but he didn't say that he will do it. Mind you, the amount of stuff they don't catch:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I doubt the OP is worried - chances of them catching up with him are slim, when you consider the amount of rustbuckets used as taxi's in this country - many of them with non-working seatbelts (mostly just stuck behind the seat after the driver has had to put the seats down)...

OP you could put a sign on the side of the car, i'm sure you can get temporary vinyl decals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

eth0_ wrote: »
    I doubt the OP is worried - chances of them catching up with him are slim, when you consider the amount of rustbuckets used as taxi's in this country - many of them with non-working seatbelts (mostly just stuck behind the seat after the driver has had to put the seats down)...

OP you could put a sign on the side of the car, i'm sure you can get temporary vinyl decals.

Special magnet signs will do the job nicely they are quite cheap to have made too

• Advertisement

Who said I was putting anything on the regulators sign?

Evolute wrote: »
    Special magnet signs will do the job nicely they are quite cheap to have made too

I've had these before and they don't really work. I'm going to get something a lot more flash and it would be the first thing you would notice coming out of a pub club and of course it is legal as I've been in touch with the regulator.

So don't feel threatened taxi men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lol well ive an 07 car so its a decent yoke I must say. t

the year doesn't make it a good or nice car
    I've had these before and they don't really work. I'm going to get something a lot more flash and it would be the first thing you would notice coming out of a pub club and of course it is legal as I've been in touch with the regulator.

So don't feel threatened taxi men

Garish pink vinal wrap? :D:D:D

I think you will find 99% off the time an 07 car is bound to be cleaner and nicer then a 95.

Lol there's an idea but no not that I'll post up when it's done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

This whole nonsense that u dont have to pick the first car was instigated by comments made by the TR.She hasnt a clue about the industry and that has been said time and time again by those not in the taxi business.
    As for not going to the first car ,yes of course it does /will annoy the driver who is first in line .After all if hes been there queing for an hour and first in the queue ,hes the car u take ..
    If you're in a shop /bank and theres a queue ,you wait your turn like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

20% off this taxi
    20% off your journey

etc etc

DEfinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭GwayGal

That is a great idea a discount taxi, call it discount taxi or saver taxi.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd be very interested in a taxi with signs saying "Driver is competent and obeys the rules of the road" and "Driver keeps his opinions on non-nationals to himself". ;)

Seriously though, I'd be a bit suspicious of those offering discounts. It could end up in a race to the bottom with everyone cutting corners to keep up.
    Customers are allowed to choose what ever car they want
    What happens where the taxis are queing but can't pnysically pass each other to exit like at airports. If I walk 20 cars back at the airport, we won't be going anywhere until the others move.
    If you're in a shop /bank and theres a queue ,you wait your turn like everyone else.
    You are not comparing like with like. Those queuing in a bank, shop etc. are the customers, not the service providers. No one suggested that the customers in a taxi queue should be allowed to skip others whereas I'd welcome the girls at the checkouts/bank counters trying to compete for my business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think you will find 99% off the time an 07 car is bound to be cleaner and nicer then a 95.

maybe but I'd certainly prefer a big older clean 5 series or e class compared to a horrible little 07 Almera or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

This whole nonsense that u dont have to pick the first car was instigated by comments made by the TR.She hasnt a clue about the industry and that has been said time and time again by those not in the taxi business.
    As for not going to the first car ,yes of course it does /will annoy the driver who is first in line .After all if hes been there queing for an hour and first in the queue ,hes the car u take ..

Its not nonsense. If a customer is going to part with their hard earned cash for a taxi ride home they have the right to decide what taxi they are going to travel in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

20% off this taxi
    20% off your journey

etc etc

Absolutely, any time I need to book a taxi I go with the 8202020 crowd for the discount. I wouldn't even be that bothered about the year/model of the car as long as it was clean - I'm getting a lift home not buying it.

It's nice to see a taxi driver with some entrepreneurial spirit.

wishbone I dont work the airport so that wont be happening but thanks for your input.

As pman has said there is already a crowd offering 20 % of but they dont offer it coming out of town

here use go.

Now I know you will say sure other ppl have these signs already but none are to the point and offer the discount on every fare off the street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

wishbone I dont work the airport so that wont be happening but thanks for your input.

As pman has said there is already a crowd offering 20 % of but they dont offer it coming out of town

Realy, I would have thought that you ring 8202020 and book the cab to pick you up from wherever you ( the customer ) request them to. Anyone ever used them from town? if so did you get your 20% or are they misleading people?

As to the OP if you are so willing to give the 20% discount why not just join the 8202020 company, they would promote your services far better and far wider than any single cab advert

spook they dont pick you up from pubs or anything restaurants ye but theres a big gap there ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Also you wouldnt have the callout charge that is required with 8202020.
    I think you're on to a winner.
    You could even get a few guys together and have specific pick up points. Say you all head back to the top of stephens green when free. I then know i can hang out around there and look out for one of your signs and hail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

spook they dont pick you up from pubs or anything restaurants ye but theres a big gap there ya know.

Back in the day, I did 6 months with Citycabs, who run 8 20 20 20. At the time, I was told by the base staff that account work was by a long way their priority for radio work and at peak times for account work, cash bookings would not be taken as there was no cut in it for the base and hence no money from a cash job for them (They take a discount of drivers on account work as well as an account fee for the client). Granted it was in busier times so t may be different now but I never ever did a cash pick up from a pub/restaurant either in the evenings or weekends taken by them in my time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone who has ever waited in a queue at a bank or post office knows that the teller can easily choose not to serve you by stalling with the person in front or doing some other housekeeping task or taking a break or a quick phone call

it's the Taxi drivers who have no choice in which customer they take

Fair play OP. Quality idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wishbone I dont work the airport
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Realy, I would have thought that you ring 8202020 and book the cab to pick you up from wherever you ( the customer ) request them to
    What blahblah06 means is that he doesn't join the rank at the airport for a prospective fare. (PSV's who do must pay an annual fee).

However, if a PSV is pre-booked, it must wait in a seperate area and can only pick up the passenger for which it is pre-booked.

I was referring to pubs and clubs in relation to spooks question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Great idea OP. I'd use your taxi. I used 8202020 a couple of times but it always seemed to take too long, so went back to NRC. However in a rank I'd use the cheap taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

20% off this taxi
    20% off your journey

etc etc

There is a quite obvious flaw in your cunning plan BlahBlah. What happens when someone walks past your car to the one behind you who is offering a 30% discount ? Do you then start offering 40% off ?

It won't end well I'm telling ye..

• Advertisement

I take it your a taxi driver that's pissed with my idea? If someone wants to do what I'm doing or offer a further discount let them.

That's competition and I believe as where all self employed we create our own work and customer base.

If hassle was to come off it it just shows that the old timers ain't up for a challenge this is why I never took part in any so called strikes

Afraid I have to agree with the boss! You can already see it with the cab companies offering bigger and bigger discounts.

As to 8202020 cabs isn't their advert misleading then? if you can't book a cab from where you went to, to get home again, you're only getting 10% off in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's that, discount on a taxi? So I wouldn't have to pay €35 just to get me home?

I'd just say **** it and get the Nitelink home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

The only thing though Davey the nightlink is not going to bring you right to your door.
    This is something a lot of punters forget about. A taxi is from A to B the bus is only going to bring you to the nearest bus stop and then you still may have a good bit of a walk to your house.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Afraid I have to agree with the boss! You can already see it with the cab companies offering bigger and bigger discounts.

As to 8202020 cabs isn't their advert misleading then? if you can't book a cab from where you went to, to get home again, you're only getting 10% off in reality!

Spook out of how many drivers in Dublin who do u think would actually be bothered to invest a few hundred euro to get a sign and graphics? I can't imagine many would do it. Sure all the drivers not in company don't offer any discount o customers even with all the companies offering discounts. This has been going on a good while now and they couldn't be arsed to do anything to helpthere business but strike and lose a days wage where they could be putting that days wage into promoting there service.

With regards to 820 they don't pick up at pubs or clubs to random callers o ly there regs because there has been too many ppl not bothered to wait for them to arrive so just jump in another cab

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What's that, discount on a taxi? So I wouldn't have to pay €35 just to get me home?

I'd just say **** it and get the Nitelink home.

As the title said the thread is for taxi users and the question was wether you would choose a taxi that offers a discount instead of a normal full price cab.

Steph is right. If 4 lads want to get the nightlink on a rainy night and walk to there house from saving a euro or 2 spilt between everyone after a discount is received feel free to be a drowned rat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

blahblah06, I commend your idea. :)

Something like "20% off metered fare" would certainly catch my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Great idea. I recently saw a taxi offering free wifi - things like that would definitely encourage me to use their service over others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I take it your a taxi driver that's pissed with my idea? If someone wants to do what I'm doing or offer a further discount let them.

That's competition and I believe as where all self employed we create our own work and customer base.

Another flaw there in your plan mate. We're not all self employed ! I have a fully legal taxi, ready to go in my driveway but I'm a PAYE worker. I can offer bigger discounts than you because I've already trousered a weeks wages.

Your idea might bring you short-term benefits but will ultimately reduce your income..

Another flaw there in your plan mate. We're not all self employed !

I thought all taxi drivers were? Does someone else own your taxi? How are you PAYE? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I thought all taxi drivers were? Does someone else own your taxi? How are you PAYE? :confused:

He does both. He is what full time Taxi drivers refer to as a Part-Timer

He does both. He is what full time Taxi drivers refer to as a Part-Timer

But does that not make him a self-employed taxi driver who is also a PAYE worker? Still a self employed taxi driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

paulm17781 wrote: »
    But does that not make him a self-employed taxi driver who is also a PAYE worker? Still a self employed taxi driver?

Yep, I'd have thought so.

The boss feel free to invest in a sign and offer bigger discounts that's your choice.

I'm a self employed seven day a week driver.

I can't see you offering discounts tbh sure why would you work part time and then offer discounts ?

I can put more hours in taxing if needs be plus I'd have the advantage of working midweek nights building customers.

Anyway I'm sure you just tell the gov you didn't drive the cab and pay no tax on your second income anyway.

So to the rest off you guys what would you like to see on the sign

Spook out of how many drivers in Dublin who do u think would actually be bothered to invest a few hundred euro to get a sign and graphics? I can't imagine many would do it. Sure all the drivers not in company don't offer any discount o customers even with all the companies offering discounts. This has been going on a good while now and they couldn't be arsed to do anything to helpthere business but strike and lose a days wage where they could be putting that days wage into promoting there service.

With regards to 820 they don't pick up at pubs or clubs to random callers o ly there regs because there has been too many ppl not bothered to wait for them to arrive so just jump in another cab

So what incentive is there for people to wait around for your taxi to show?

• Advertisement
Advertisement