Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for taxi users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

20% discount over any others which other ppl have said they would choose a cab over any other if they knew it was discounting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

He does both. He is what full time Taxi drivers refer to as a Part-Timer

Or a double jobber, or various not so polite terms depending on the sort of night we're having

No offence Boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

blahblah06 wrote: »
    So to the rest off you guys what would you like to see on the sign

I reckon it's got to be something you could spot and recognise from a distance. I think colour and/or pattern would probably be more important than the text itself. After that the text should be clear & concise - I guess you're not going to get much on a sign anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

20% discount over any others which other ppl have said they would choose a cab over any other if they knew it was discounting?

But you gave the counter argument in the previous post, people weren't bothering to wait for the 20% cab to turn up, now maybe on the dead quiet nights you might get an advantage IF the customer is prepared to walk along the rank to see if you're there, most likely though they'll just take the handiest/closest one to the door, and if you put up 20% off in big stickers/signs etc. you'll surely want to take them off on the busier nights? or do you intend on doing 20% off on Bank Holiday weekends as well?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But you gave the counter argument in the previous post, people weren't bothering to wait for the 20% cab to turn up, now maybe on the dead quiet nights you might get an advantage IF the customer is prepared to walk along the rank to see if you're there, most likely though they'll just take the handiest/closest one to the door, and if you put up 20% off in big stickers/signs etc. you'll surely want to take them off on the busier nights? or do you intend on doing 20% off on Bank Holiday weekends as well?

We were talking about 820 earlier lad. I'm not expecting everyone to jump in my can but It would be nice to say part up on o connel bridge rank and as ppl pass by they would choose my cab over anyone elses.

And yes I would be leaving the sign on, things are getting worse and I'd rather be giving 20% discount and kept busy then sitting around getting nothing.

Regards previous poster ye that's what I was thinking. The sign is 42 inchs wide and 15 High so it is quite big.

I was thinking of blue background and yellow font just like the current roof signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I say do it. Notice it's other drivers recommending against it (I don't see how it affects them) where as customers (and angry one like me :D ) think it's a great idea. Go for it. Worst case scenario, you do no better and stop offering it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Or a double jobber, or various not so polite terms depending on the sort of night we're having

No offence Boss

Think the current term is "double jobbing scumbag" ;) .. absolutely no offence taken Spooky.

This thread really is a bit retarded though isn't it ? Like asking potential customers whether they want to pay full fare or take a 20% discount is like asking a seven year old do they want coco pops or muesli for breakfast...

I was only trying to illustrate the fact that someone else can always offer a bigger discount and buy a bigger sign. Customer wins but service provider goes broke trying to compete with those who can survive on the least take home pay.

This thread really is a bit retarded though isn't it ? Like asking potential customers whether they want to pay full fare or take a 20% discount is like asking a seven year old do they want coco pops or muesli for breakfast...

I was only trying to illustrate the fact that someone else can always offer a bigger discount and buy a bigger sign. Customer wins but service provider goes broke trying to compete with those who can survive on the least take home pay.

Did you actually read the first sentence that I wrote on this thread? I asked ppl what they would like to see on a sign to attract them to a cab with a discount so no this thread is not retarded.

So your saying its obvious they will choose a discount cab over a normal cab then why are you not offering a discount? After all most taxi drivers are bitching about not been enough work out there. As I said before im simply trying to do better for myself.

Were self employed plenty of competiton out there so we need customers. If customers dont feel there getting a good deal there not going to use cabs and will use other modes of transport.

If you want to sit back and hope someone hails you down or sit on a rank for hours be my guest but I dont plan on doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

So your saying its obvious they will choose a discount cab over a normal cab then why are you not offering a discount?

I refuse to join the race to the bottom. If customers won't pay a fair fare I'm out.. There's no point being a busy fool.

The regulator did not just pull the fare tarriffs out of her arse, she decided on them after consultation with drivers ,the public and her advisory council. They were set up so that the public could get value for money and drivers could earn a fair wage. The problem at the moment is that there is an over supply of taxis. Discounting won't remove the excess supply.

Best of luck to you if you want to try it ,it's no skin off my nose as I don't work my taxi anymore. Do you expect any trouble from the bully boys ?

• Advertisement

Bully boys? LoL idiots afraid of competition

I think all drivers know the 8% increase recently was a joke in a recession. It shouldn't have been done. Even at that prices are too high and customers are happy to see discounts.

Been a fussy fool? That just proves to everyone that current drivers would rather strike then help there business and family survive.

It's simple really.
    Any other self employed person example builders have to reduce there prices to get there work and that's just the way it is.
    Thanks everyone for ur input I'll let u know when it's up and running so u can keep an eye out for me. This thread has been ruined as normal
    by drivers not happy of competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I said i used 82020 cabs and wouldn't bother because they took too loong. Big difference in waiting half an hour instead of 5 minutes. Walking 5 or 6 car lenghts isn't much effort, as long as the discount is clearly marked.
    I used NRC for years and the service is excellent, but the point is I changed purely for the 20% discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OP, to answer your question, yes I would definitely choose your car if I was waiting at a rank and you had a sign that advertised a discount.
    I'd choose your car all day long.

The rest of the conversation is navel-gazing imho. Worry about the race to the bottom if it happens, get out of the game if you've discounted so much that it's not worth your while anymore.
    As for being a busy fool? It seems like there are loads of drivers who aren't busy, and if they're not doing everything they can to get busier, then they're the fools.

But I don't know why I feel like getting drawn into this discussion, I'm a taxi user, not a taxi driver. I don't care about the background machinations or politics of the taxi industry, I just want to get home quickly and safely.
    If I can save 20% in the process, I'd be crazy not to.

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

blahblah06 is right you got to do what you got to do to earn a few bob.
    I for one will skip you on the rank... just to make it a level playing field.
    I think I will get more passengers than you as most people will go for the first car.
    We don't have any rules regarding ranks so no reason for me to wait behind blahblah06 and if he gets lippy or violent sure that will be the end of his taxi driving days.

@ blahblah06 :D:D:D
    blahblah06 wrote:
    If a cab was to offer you a discount on a fare with a roof sign what would your like to see on the said roof sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Taxi drivers really show themselves up. Here is a guy willing to invest a few quid to improve his business, he is doing some customer research and all other drivers can do is knock him and his ideas. Keep those ranks full guys, its noble work your doing. :rolleyes:

Blahblah, I really hope this works for you. Dont worry about the whingers, when other drivers are moaning about you it just means your doing something right. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Hmmm, i've been a driver for a few years now and i've learned alot in those years, about what people want and expect from a taxi service.

Before every shift the car is cleaned, washed, hooverd and a airfreshner put in. Me (the driver) has a shave, shower, hairgel, put on a nice shirt and aftershave.

Then i go and ply my wares on the streets, regularly commented on the smell of the car and its condition, and people always ask me for my number for bookings later.

Its quite simple how to do business, passangers want quality of quantity.

If the journey is a long one i will discount accordingly (and to my disgression) at the end of the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aard wrote: »
    Great idea. I recently saw a taxi offering free wifi - things like that would definitely encourage me to use their service over others.
    Genius

punters looking at the screen instead of the route :D

I thought the share a cab thing was good, till I heard how much it was,

Yes I'm a fan of taxi drivers poaching airport bus people at a similar price , but not too pushed on having to share a cab with randomers if it's only going to save a euro or two. The old scheme seemed to be a way for taxi's to get paid more than once for the same journey.

Maybe if taxis shouted a destination at a rank or at a club and then offered people a substantial discount ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Genius

punters looking at the screen instead of the route :D

Never thought of it that way!

kajo wrote: »
    blahblah06 is right you got to do what you got to do to earn a few bob.
    I for one will skip you on the rank... just to make it a level playing field.
    I think I will get more passengers than you as most people will go for the first car.
    We don't have any rules regarding ranks so no reason for me to wait behind blahblah06 and if he gets lippy or violent sure that will be the end of his taxi driving days.

@ blahblah06 :D:D:D

This is what the public see, taxi drivers moaning afraid of competition, how exactly would you skip me on a rank if I was parked in front off you?

It's mad really why would I get Lippy or violent about trying to better my business. It's you and your striking colleagues that caused all this crap in the first place.

Great way to gain customers by blocking streets, moaning to the ppl in the car about blacks n how u can't feed your family.

Even I can see as a driver of 3 years why your business is failing along with every other Joe soap.

Companies compete with other companies on a daily basis that's life. If you want to skip me on a rank be interesting too see how you would cause as soon as someone seen my sign I know what cab they would choose. Good luck in your business

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

We were talking about 820 earlier lad. I'm not expecting everyone to jump in my can but It would be nice to say part up on o connel bridge rank and as ppl pass by they would choose my cab over anyone elses.

And yes I would be leaving the sign on, things are getting worse and I'd rather be giving 20% discount and kept busy then sitting around getting nothing.

Regards previous poster ye that's what I was thinking. The sign is 42 inchs wide and 15 High so it is quite big.

I was thinking of blue background and yellow font just like the current roof signs

I see a couple of problems with this. A sign that size, will mean you will need to keep slow, otherwise it will be blown off your cab, possibly a lawsuit into the bargain if it takes someones head off. I personally think you will draw negative attention to yourself, possibly violence. If you hav'nt considered this, i think your very naive. If you are indeed a taxi driver, and not just some wind up merchant (im undecided at d mo), you will be acutely aware of drivers frustration out there. Everyone is on edge and unhappy the way its unfolding, but its not realistic to take it out on each other, except in cases of drivers stealing other drivers work (and i dont mean by offering reductions, i mean just stealing it from under your nose). My point is, its generally hard for drivers to aim their anger at something. But.... someone with a sign like the one you are talking of putting up, i could certainly see drivers focus on someone to have a go at.
    Now i would never generally condone violence, but i could see that sort of stuff happen.
    I too have considered giving discounts. But i have a way which is different, which im not disclosing just yet, simply because its a tad more complicated, and i dont want every whore jumping on the bandwagon til im happy with my bit. But i can say i wont be advertising out on the road.
    Like i said, there is a race to the bottom, and yes you have to think ahead, i just think your way, gives others a target to vent anger at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I'm not in Dublin any more, but was a frequent taxi user when I was. Your idea is good, but why bring the attention on yourself. I'd suggest a cheaper and long term potentially better way is to get a few business cards printed up saying something like "20% discount on repeat fares" with your mobile number. Give to punters as they pay to leave, then you'll get them calling you to pick them back up etc., passing to their friends. If you're not local you're not when they call, but you'll get a lot more bookings I would expect. ??? Just a thought....:)

• Advertisement

I think what your saying about other cab drivers being violent towards me for trying to promote my service only shows to the public they don't know who or what driver there going to interact with. It's a public service and should be safe so if they wanna cause voilence let them because what I'm doing is legal.

Regards the sign falling off I've checked regulations with Garda and taxi reg and all is fine. There's more chance of the taxi sign falling off as it's head on with the way the car drives whereas mine is more aerodynamic

Hi ghost I've tried that my target customers are clubbers and party goers with this idea not pre bookings.

I've noticed offering 20% off via business cards work sometimes but if u have to let them down they just ring the company offering the discount were they will get a driver. I think I'll get a lot more business at night this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

VIP are offering a 20% discount on any fare taken in one of their cars even if it is hired off a rank or street upon production of a Loyalty Card. They have 500 drivers; you are on your own here man so it's going to be very very hard for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

people are saying that other drivers are going to bully him, may even be voilent towards his cos he is offering 20% of his fare's....do they do that to all the drivers who work for 820 ?

OP only people who thinks it a bad idea is other drivers. I stopped using taxi cos the price was redic, if I was coming out of a club id never even dream of ringing 820 cos i dont want to wait. If i go down to the rank and your sitting 12 cars down, I've never have and never will have a problem skipping the Q and picking the driver i want, so fair play to ya. Hope it all works out.

Believe me, when others drivers see people walking straight over to your car in a rank..they will start doing the same !! its only a matter of time . good luck :)

Hamndegger wrote: »
    VIP are offering a 20% discount on any fare taken in one of their cars even if it is hired off a rank or street upon production of a Loyalty Card. They have 500 drivers; you are on your own here man so it's going to be very very hard for you.

not everyone has a vip card and im glad im on my own thats the way i want it to stay lol

not everyone has a vip card and im glad im on my own thats the way i want it to stay lol

True but there is one of you and over 500 of them. It's gonna be hard for you lol

I personally think you will draw negative attention to yourself, possibly violence. If you hav'nt considered this, i think your very naive.

That a sentence like this can even enter the conversation says a lot about taxi drivers and the state of the industry at the moment. Shocking!
    (That's not aimed at you by the way, ET.)

I don't have a VIP loyalty card, and I never even knew about this offer.

If I see blahblahblah's car in the rank, I'm getting into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

-Chris- wrote: »

not if i get there first :D

True but there is one of you and over 500 of them. It's gonna be hard for you lol

well i rather compete against 500 then 30,000 charging full wack. I never said it would be easy man but im not gonna let the business go down the crapper like everyone else I gotta try something.

From everyone on this thread im sure you can see discounts and attraction will work. wether it be for the short term so be it. its a matter of survival.

well i rather compete against 500 then 30,000 charging full wack. I never said it would be easy man but im not gonna let the business go down the crapper like everyone else I gotta try something.

From everyone on this thread im sure you can see discounts and attraction will work. wether it be for the short term so be it. its a matter of survival.

Having spent almost a year with VIP with a 20% discount in effect, I am doubtful if it will work out for you as it didn't work out in the long term for their drivers, myself included. There are very few ways for us taxi drivers to innovate in the marketplace in spite of what the naysayers here claim and price is the primary one to look at. I am doubtful that it will work out in the long term for you as you are out on your own and with limited means to attract punters into your car over mine and 16,000 others but I agree with you, you do have to do something and I respect you for trying something.

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    That a sentence like this can even enter the conversation says a lot about taxi drivers and the state of the industry at the moment. Shocking!
    (That's not aimed at you by the way, ET.)

I don't have a VIP loyalty card, and I never even knew about this offer.

I agree with you Chris. Btw, im a very placid man. ;) But im not naive, this could be bad for OP. I personally have swung to the point i dont believe him (OP). I believe he is a customer who is just trying a very public way of trying to promote a faster race to the bottom. I know as a driver of eleven yrs, if this starts, it will be a race, a dire race, which will end up with everyone offering discounts, which ends up with no drivers benefiting. Bottom line, drivers who are depressed that current earnings are down anything up to 50- 60 %, could expect a further possible 20 % downturn if all start offering discounts. Its all heading towards depression, violence, suicides and a general deterioration of the taxi industry (this is NOT an exaggeration). Just possibly achieving what the OP may want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I've had these before and they don't really work. I'm going to get something a lot more flash and it would be the first thing you would notice coming out of a pub club and of course it is legal as I've been in touch with the regulator.

So don't feel threatened taxi men

hehe you just need some mad neon colours on them:P People will get in just because of the colours let alone the discounts

Although sadly the taxi industry is in the crapper already for numerous reasons but one main reason being that there are far too many Taxis in Dublin
    Basically they need to stop handing out taxi signs period

I agree with you Chris. Btw, im a very placid man. ;) But im not naive, this could be bad for OP. I personally have swung to the point i dont believe him (OP). I believe he is a customer who is just trying a very public way of trying to promote a faster race to the bottom. I know as a driver of eleven yrs, if this starts, it will be a race, a dire race, which will end up with everyone offering discounts, which ends up with no drivers benefiting. Bottom line, drivers who are depressed that current earnings are down anything up to 50- 60 %, could expect a further possible 20 % downturn if all start offering discounts. Its all heading towards depression, violence, suicides and a general deterioration of the taxi industry (this is NOT an exaggeration). Just possibly achieving what the OP may want?

lol I am a taxi driver look at my past posts in other threads if you dont believe me.

I dont know were your at saying business is down 50 - 60% LOL far from it. If anything id said about 10 - 15% as I dont sit on ranks all day hoping a fare comes my way.

I can survive with the work thats currently there but like who doesnt wanna be busier?

At the end of the day if your not making the money then there wouldnt be people driving taxis right?

lol I am a taxi driver look at my past posts in other threads if you dont believe me.

I dont know were your at saying business is down 50 - 60% LOL far from it. If anything id said about 10 - 15% as I dont sit on ranks all day hoping a fare comes my way.

I can survive with the work thats currently there but like who doesnt wanna be busier?

At the end of the day if your not making the money then there wouldnt be people driving taxis right?

If your only down approx 10%, why would you offer discount of 20%?
    2-3 yrs ago, i made 1000 handy enough, for the same hours now it would be aprrox 450 - 500. I work nights only, always have, never sit on ranks, dont work a radio, know the city better than anyone, which effectively makes you a liar. I can make a living now, but, its the stress of how i make it that doesnt pay. If i could land a job driving a van around the town or similar for 500 a week, id be gone in a heartbeat.
    Anyway, are you saying you dont expect problems from others, and that if you start it, others wont follow, resulting in no benefit for anyone other than punters?

Id offer a discount off 20% to gain more money in the long run. Sometimes Ive sat on ranks for a long time or gone around during the night with no calls and wondered wtf is the point in this so im doing something about it.

Well I can safely say Im with a company (not to mean to pay the radio fee) and the only downfall that im hit with is not much account work but my cash has risen.

See the funny thing is all the cab drivers complaining all say oh would love to get out of the job and go somewhere else. why dont you go and do it then? Make the effort apply in places then the business will reach the level it should reach but no you wont get out of the business cause its handy enough job and we dont have any bosses.

Older drivers just want things back the way they are and thats not gonna happen and by the whole being voilent towards other drivers do you really think there wanted in this business?

I love my job. I work 7 nights a week 8 hour shifts and live quite comfortably I must say.

A wage off 500 a week is fecking good and dont come out with the running costs etc cause thats stupid I know how much it costs to run a car.

everyones in the same boat in every career people have taken cuts so tell me this you wonder why your down 50% well ill tell you why. because your customers are also down 50% and are looking for a cheaper way home or will walk home thats why your down.

So to counter act that you need to offer them a discount to get them back in your cab. win for you and win for them simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

blahblah06 i would just pass by your car and then reverse back happy days.
    anyway you are just trying to make the standard of living lower for everbody taxi and public.
    for the short time you are in this business you know nothing of how it works.
    I would not want my children in a car with you as you as you sound a blackleg.
    People like you will find you are not wanted in our industry.
    I don't do discounts as my service is top class never had an unhappy customer.
    maybe you should try another line of business ... I would not give the likes of you the time of day dont mind make room on a rank for you.

I cant wait to see ya out and about! :D:D

Funny that because if your on a rank you can't do what your saying unless your talking about the illegal ranks that you work?

The thing is I am welcomed in the industry by customers offering good service clean car and a discount to boot, what customer wouldn't want that?

I'd like to know how putting more money in my pocket and the customers pocket is bringing down there living

Who gives a **** about other drivers like you with your attitude I certainly don't. My job is to survive and compete for business and that's what i'm doing.

Lol kajo pathetic, no more words can describe the likes off drivers like you.
    Seriously do you realise what you sound like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ZiX ZiX ZiX

Funny that because if your on a rank you can't do what your saying unless your talking about the illegal ranks that you work?

The thing is I am welcomed in the industry by customers offering good service clean car and a discount to boot, what customer wouldn't want that?

Who gives a **** about other drivers like you with your attitude I certainly don't. My job is to survive and compete for business and that's what i'm doing.

Lol kajo pathetic, no more words can describe the likes off drivers like you.
    Seriously do you realise what you sound like?

Ignore them man, just push ahead with offering the discount.

Myself and girlfriend have started getting the nitelink home the last few years (we stay in hers in celbridge on weekends so as you can imagine a taxi there from dublin cc is quite costly) so any kind of discount in taxi fares would be more than welcome by us!

People like you will find you are not wanted in our industry.

Wanted by who? Certainly it seems people like blahblahblah are wanted by the customers...

I don't do discounts as my service is top class never had an unhappy customer.

I've been unhappy many times in taxis - due to cost, due to route taken, due to general demeanor of the driver, but it's always been a "like it or lump it situation".
    In the bad times I've gotten to taxi ranks and preferred the 2nd car in the rank (cleaner, nicer etc.), only to have that driver tell me that I had to get in the first car.
    I've often walked from the middle of town to the canal before I could find a taxi that would stop for me.
    I've hailed a taxi, gotten into it and said "town please", and had the driver tell me "sorry bud, I'm only going as far as Blackrock". When I questioned it he threw me out of his taxi.

You'd be surprised how often your customers are unhappy but never say anything.

Now, as a customer, there's finally choice and proper competition, but it's still bad times. WTF is wrong with this industry?

I cant wait to see ya out and about! :D:D

Again, I think it's shocking that a thread entitled "Question for Taxi Users", asking for those users' opinions on a marketing idea, brings in Taxi Drivers giving ominous comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Spook out of how many drivers in Dublin who do u think would actually be bothered to invest a few hundred euro to get a sign and graphics?

I probably wouldn't skip the queue at a rank, because of the potential hassle it'd cause.

However, if I did get into your taxi, and you drove me to my destination, and the fare was say, €20, and you handed me a business card and said, if you take this card I'll give you five quid off the fare and 20% off every time you use me, I'd call you every time I needed a cab.

hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Now this post is the problem taxi drivers are having. They dont see it as a business, and so an entity that needs to be analysed and improved.
    In this so called race to the bottom.
    The OP is running it like a business, and is heading for the top. He will make money, while all those too lazy to treat it like a business and expect money to just land in their pockets are destined for the bottom.

Its a business. Treat it as such, as the OP is doing.

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    Now this post is the problem taxi drivers are having. They dont see it as a business, and so an entity that needs to be analysed and improved.
    In this so called race to the bottom.
    The OP is running it like a business, and is heading for the top. He will make money, while all those too lazy to treat it like a business and expect money to just land in their pockets are destined for the bottom.

I couldn't agree more. This thead shows the complete lack of understanding of supply and demand (the most fundamental economic law) that most taxi drivers seem to have. The OP realises there is oversupply and realises lowering costs (to customers) may increase demand. This is how to run a business, this is how economics works, the taxi industry is no different. Meanwhile the other drivers here would rather sit in a rank and whinge about the lack of business and not join the so called "race to the bottom". How's that working out boys, business booming?

OP, it is a good idea, I'd say go for it. The only thing I worry about is your safety from the likes of Kajo.

If you want a business to succeed, you have to innovate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I said i used 82020 cabs and wouldn't bother because they took too loong. Big difference in waiting half an hour instead of 5 minutes. Walking 5 or 6 car lenghts isn't much effort, as long as the discount is clearly marked.
    I used NRC for years and the service is excellent, but the point is I changed purely for the 20% discount.

I've had the completely opposite experience. Used NRC for years, heard about this new crowd, used them one night at work and was shocked when the driver called about two minutes later outside my door.

Used them ever since and they are way faster then NRC, every single time.

I particularly like their automated booking system, where you can register multiple addresses (work, home, etc.) and then book a taxi by text or by automated phone. It fixed the problem I had a few times with NRC where the operator took down the wrong address or phone number and therefore no taxi arrived.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. This thead shows the complete lack of understanding of supply and demand (the most fundamental economic law) that most taxi drivers seem to have. The OP realises there is oversupply and realises lowering costs (to customers) may increase demand. This is how to run a business, this is how economics works, the taxi industry is no different. Meanwhile the other drivers here would rather sit in a rank and whinge about the lack of business and not join the so called "race to the bottom". How's that working out boys, business booming?

OP, it is a good idea, I'd say go for it. The only thing I worry about is your safety from the likes of Kajo.

If you want a business to succeed, you have to innovate.

I never get involved in the backstabbing that goes on in the trade, but all i know is that i provide a top class service for the money, however most of 820 cabs are mostly late, mostly dont know where they are going, the car is on the road alot more, driver is working longer hours to make up the shortfall in thier 20% off. I really struggle to see how it would be good business practice as the op is already affliated to 8202020 cabs which already offer 20% off the meterd fare, OP i understand your doing your best to look at other avenues of work but working twice as hard for 20% less money just dosent seem like good business sense.

Have you asked your family what they think of this business plan?

I Was VB wrote: »
    I never get involved in the backstabbing that goes on in the trade, but all i know is that i provide a top class service for the money, however most of 820 cabs are mostly late, mostly dont know where they are going, the car is on the road alot more, driver is working longer hours to make up the shortfall in thier 20% off. I really struggle to see how it would be good business practice as the op is already affliated to 8202020 cabs which already offer 20% off the meterd fare, OP i understand your doing your best to look at other avenues of work but working twice as hard for 20% less money just dosent seem like good business sense.

Does increasing demand to reduce working hours sound like good business sense?

The OP is not talking about 820, he is going it alone. As I understand it, 820 still charge radio fees etc. The OP will not have this. If his plan works, he will be busy leading to shorter hours. Again, this is how supply and demand works. The is an oversupply of taxis yet an under supply of taxis offering 20% off (which are not on a radio company) this increases demand for taxis offering the 20% demand, in this case, the OP.

• Advertisement

The OP is not talking about 820, he is going it alone. As I understand it, 820 still charge radio fees etc. The OP will not have this. If his plan works, he will be busy leading to shorter hours. Again, this is how supply and demand works. The is an oversupply of taxis yet an under supply of taxis offering 20% off (which are not on a radio company) this increases demand for taxis offering the 20% demand, in this case, the OP.

The OP IS with 8202020 cabs already and already offering a 20% discount on fares, this is what i mean about working twice as hard for 20% less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is no queue at a rank. All taxis on a rank are available for hire. If it is not for hire, it is parked and should be in a parking space, not on the rank.

Have you asked your family what they think of this business plan?

Thats insane. Yes I am with 820 but as I said before Ive lost the account work in that so plan on getting out with this idea and I wont be paying radio fees.

Just regarding you saying you offer top class service for the money. Do you honestly think its worth €20 - €25 for a journey to the airport? No I dont think it is and thats as a driver speaking as most customers would agree with. No matter if you have a 2010 merc to cover your costs. People use the aircoach and dublin bus because of the cost and I believe thats the main factor.

Now regarding your comment on 820 -

mostly dont know where they are going, the car is on the road alot more, driver is working longer hours to make up the shortfall in thier 20% off.

- can you prove all these points? id love to see you try. 820 has been the most successfull radio and company launch in this country since it started. how is the car on the road a lot more and working more hours?
    as Ive said before I work no more then 8 hours a day which I always did since I started. If drivers are making up for 20% loss god knows how long other drivers making a loss of 50 - 60% are on the road lol.

Yes ive asked my family and my partner thinks its a great idea. why wouldnt she, more money for luxuries like holidays etc and I wouldn be moaning like all the other drivers coming home saying oh worked 16 hours today and got 40 euro.

Your kidding yourself if you think the public cant see all off this.

Bang on Paul, I know from experience that the discount model works and plan to continue it. After all been charged 110 for a company a week wont be a cost to me anymore so I can gladly take a hit on a lot more work at 20% discount.

It would be a hell off a lot of calls to have to discount to be down that 110

The OP IS with 8202020 cabs already and already offering a 20% discount on fares, this is what i mean about working twice as hard for 20% less.

lets say I stayed with 820 aswell as discounting. Did you read this thread because im thinking not. I did state my main target here is cash customers coming from clubs and pubs etc at night time which 820 does not really cover.

So lets say I sit outside any place in town along with everyone else on an illegal rank. lets say mcdonalds on o connel st. normally about 12 cars there ye.

Punter walks out and see a big sign offering 20% discount in a decent clean car 2007 model then amongst them theres wheelchair vans and normal cars that charge the full wack, even the brand new motor what car is he/she or a group of people going to choose? dont forget this is after there drinks and food for the night in an already expensive dublin

MINE

(This is what paul is saying. theres not enough offering 20% discount during closing hours so im getting into that gap in the market)

Edit: would just like to add this - Id rather work twice as hard for 20% less then sit on a rank and get nothing. Lets even forget about the rank bit. If you want to succeed in business you need to offer these customers an attraction to purchase. I think this is what most drivers cant handle that theres competition out there and there starting to say oh **** its not as easy as it used to be

• Advertisement
Advertisement