Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for taxi users

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Sounds like a good idea my man.. You would really need to have a sign that stands out.. like below..

transit-2.jpg

Or a video display one would be good.. your car would be remembered then..

Id have no problem passing the first few taxi's to grab your one in a rank if there is a sign advertising cheaper fares..

I usually avoid taxi's for a nightlink but discounts could persuade me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

blahblah06 wrote: »
    lets say I stayed with 820 aswell as discounting. Did you read this thread because im thinking not. I did state my main target here is cash customers coming from clubs and pubs etc at night time which 820 does not really cover.

So lets say I sit outside any place in town along with everyone else on an illegal rank. lets say mcdonalds on o connel st. normally about 12 cars there ye.

Punter walks out and see a big sign offering 20% discount in a decent clean car 2007 model then amongst them theres wheelchair vans and normal cars that charge the full wack, even the brand new motor what car is he/she or a group of people going to choose? dont forget this is after there drinks and food for the night in an already expensive dublin

MINE

(This is what paul is saying. theres not enough offering 20% discount during closing hours so im getting into that gap in the market)

Edit: would just like to add this - Id rather work twice as hard for 20% less then sit on a rank and get nothing. Lets even forget about the rank bit. If you want to succeed in business you need to offer these customers an attraction to purchase. I think this is what most drivers cant handle that theres competition out there and there starting to say oh **** its not as easy as it used to be

Well i've given my points on it i can say no more really, wish you the best on it and keep us updated on it. Have you asked the regulator is this kinda thing allowed to openly advertise disconts on non-prebooked journeys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

I Was VB wrote: »
    The OP IS with 8202020 cabs already and already offering a 20% discount on fares, this is what i mean about working twice as hard for 20% less.

So I walk by all the taxis on the rank to the one that says "20% discount". You are in the place in front of him. He drives me a few miles to where im going. He goes back to the rank. You have moved up to about half way.
    The next person walks past all the taxis to one that says "20% discount".....

You get the idea.
    He could have taken a fare and been back to the rank several times before you get to the front. Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi Neil that's exactly the kind off thing I was looking for. That sign look great

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Hi Neil that's exactly the kind off thing I was looking for. That sign look great

My 2 points you have not yet addressed. First, you are gonna come under enormous abuse. How does that sit with you? Do you realise this? You've not yet answered.
    Second, can you not see, if this idea was a success, that everyone will follow it. Resulting in everyone offering discounts in and around 20%. You will as i said, have started the ball rolling in the race to the bottom, you will no longer be "special" (because you now will be no different to anyone else), your wages are now down a further fifth, where do you go from there? Please endulge me einstein, because my forecasts of your plans are a near certainty. Would you agree?
    As i have said before also, im not against the idea of discounts per se, just not your approach. Private arrangements yes, but a public auction, its gonna end in tears.
    One final point to all the armchair experts, yet again mentioning competion and markets...... ye hav'nt a notion of how it really is. As i pointed out before, real experts have done extensive research on this and conclusively proved normal rules dont fit with the taxi industry, but im sure you will all ignore this fact again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

My 2 points you have not yet addressed. First, you are gonna come under enormous abuse. How does that sit with you? Do you realise this? You've not yet answered.
    Second, can you not see, if this idea was a success, that everyone will follow it. Resulting in everyone offering discounts in and around 20%. You will as i said, have started the ball rolling in the race to the bottom, you will no longer be "special" (because you now will be no different to anyone else), your wages are now down a further fifth, where do you go from there? Please endulge me einstein, because my forecasts of your plans are a near certainty. Would you agree?
    As i have said before also, im not against the idea of discounts per se, just not your approach. Private arrangements yes, but a public auction, its gonna end in tears.
    One final point to all the armchair experts, yet again mentioning competion and markets...... ye hav'nt a notion of how it really is. As i pointed out before, real experts have done extensive research on this and conclusively proved normal rules dont fit with the taxi industry, but im sure you will all ignore this fact again.

if you're so sure he's gonna fail, why are you so anxious to get him to defend himself? leave him be, we need more innovators in this country. Fair play to him for giving it a go I reckon.

An uneducated Taxi driver perhaps? Dont understand business forces and risk taking? Think the power lies in the fist? Think "Real experts" are only anyone who agrees with your viewpoint?

Yes, you are proving the competition for a guy who gets off his hole and makes an effort at running his business properly will do well. If he only has competition like you, hes gonna be very successful.

Let him try it out and see how he does. He can always adjust his plan as he goes. You however will still be stuck in the rank complaining about anyone else trying to adapt.

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    An uneducated Taxi driver perhaps? Dont understand business forces and risk taking? Think the power lies in the fist? Think "Real experts" are only anyone who agrees with your viewpoint?

Yes, you are proving the competition for a guy who gets off his hole and makes an effort at running his business properly will do well. If he only has competition like you, hes gonna be very successful.

Let him try it out and see how he does. He can always adjust his plan as he goes. You however will still be stuck in the rank complaining about anyone else trying to adapt.

1.Uneducated? No, far from it.
    2.When did i threaten violence with your reference to FIST?
    3."Real experts", im stating facts. You cannot dispute facts.
    4.With regards the rest of your dribble, try reading the whole thread before showing me how foolish you are. You know nothing of what i offer, if his plan doesnt work, do you really think its an option to "up" his fares? I repeat i dont work ranks. I also have a better plan than his, but mine can work privately. You know what we do for a living, what do you do? I will be shocked if i hear the truth to that question. Would you expect me to know more about your job than you do?

Everyday taxi - enormous abuse? That's what the guards are for I'm not doing anything illegal.

If it's a success then I'm a good business man that knows what to do to fill his car.

You keep going on about race to the bottom. There is no race to the bottom the industry is already screwed supply wise so this is what ppl need to get them using Cars more.

The funny thing is not many would follow it cause there to stuck in there ways and would rather cause tears as u say, then keep them busier.

I'd rather be busy driving around then being bored having a chat to the lads on the rank.

What would ur bank manager rather c 80% off something or nothing?

U say u have a better plan that will work privately. That's not my target market.

If I can give 20% off to strangers then give them my card after tvs journey super they may ring me when there in town next week

1.Uneducated? No, far from it.
    2.When did i threaten violence with your reference to FIST?
    4.With regards the rest of your dribble, try reading the whole thread before showing me how foolish you are. You know nothing of what i offer, if his plan doesnt work, do you really think its an option to "up" his fares? I repeat i dont work ranks. I also have a better plan than his, but mine can work privately. You know what we do for a living, what do you do? I will be shocked if i hear the truth to that question. Would you expect me to know more about your job than you do?

I work for the taxi regulator. What difference does that make.
    Maybe you should read you last post again, since you forgot what you typed in it.

• Advertisement

I guess he's gonna be shocked lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Maybe I missed the links to these real experts' reports (and who funded those reports) but to say that they cannot be disputed is a bit silly. There's only one man I know that claims infallibility and even he does not have the best of track records. Take NAMA as an example - "real experts" on both sides all with very different ideas on what should be done.

So spare us your "real experts", post some links and let us decide for ourselves.

Maybe you should read you last post again, since you forgot what you typed in it.

I know this to be a lie, unless you gonna admit on here the confidentiality agreements your in breach of?

I know this to be a lie, unless you gonna admit on here the confidentiality agreements your in breach of?

Damn.
    Well i cant kid you, can I.

Maybe I missed the links to these real experts' reports (and who funded those reports) but to say that they cannot be disputed is a bit silly. There's only one man I know that claims infallibility and even he does not have the best of track records. Take NAMA as an example - "real experts" on both sides all with very different ideas on what should be done.

So spare us your "real experts", post some links and let us decide for ourselves.

Our expert from the taxi regulators office on here should have all the relevant info for ya. ;)

oops, hes a fake.

Damn.
    Well i cant kid you, can I.

OMG!! Your an even bigger tit than i thought :eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D

OMG!! Your an even bigger tit than i thought :eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D

Congratulations. You are the quintessential taxi driver. No fear of you making money. The OP will definitely clean up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Do you really?;):rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65174432&postcount=163

Hamndegger wrote: »

Jaysus, do taxi drivers have their sense of humour removed when they get their PSV?
    Was it not obvious the man was taking the piss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ZiX ZiX ZiX

blahblah06 would you mind PM'ing me your mobile number for the taxi if that's ok, I'd love the option of 20% off a taxi fare on a fri/sat night. Thanks.

blahblah06 would you mind PM'ing me your mobile number for the taxi if that's ok, I'd love the option of 20% off a taxi fare on a fri/sat night. Thanks.

Me too. And if you dont mind Id like to give it to a few other people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

sitstill wrote: »
    Is it possible to book one of those 8 20 20 20 taxis to bring you home from a night out on the weekend to get the 20% off? Would be cheaper than getting one on the rank.
    i work for 820 it is possible and there is 25% off till midnight tonight

Just having a quick look back,seems you can't quite make your mind up as to whether you can or can't book their taxis!

Jaysus, do taxi drivers have their sense of humour removed when they get their PSV?
    Was it not obvious the man was taking the piss?

No, sense of humour tends to wane after the 1st puker/pisser/runner/sob story etc. Like yer man from Malahide who had a few digs and got his taxi smashed up by 4 "passengers" on Paddy's night, over an €8 fare, he's not very humourous at the moment!

Spook_ie wrote: »
    No, sense of humour tends to wane after the 1st puker/pisser/runner/sob story etc.

In my experience, the sob stories usually come from the driver's seat.

Possibly true, but in your honest opinion how many pissers etc. do you think it takes to piss off a taxi driver?

• Advertisement

Spook I think if you read this thread I also said it's possible in some circumstances so I can make my mind up actually.

Trying to give smart answers sounds like your only option to a failing argument good man

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

-Chris- wrote: »
    Wanted by who? Certainly it seems people like blahblahblah are wanted by the customers...

I've been unhappy many times in taxis - due to cost, due to route taken, due to general demeanor of the driver, but it's always been a "like it or lump it situation".
    In the bad times I've gotten to taxi ranks and preferred the 2nd car in the rank (cleaner, nicer etc.), only to have that driver tell me that I had to get in the first car.
    I've often walked from the middle of town to the canal before I could find a taxi that would stop for me.
    I've hailed a taxi, gotten into it and said "town please", and had the driver tell me "sorry bud, I'm only going as far as Blackrock". When I questioned it he threw me out of his taxi.

You'd be surprised how often your customers are unhappy but never say anything.

Now, as a customer, there's finally choice and proper competition, but it's still bad times. WTF is wrong with this industry?

Again, I think it's shocking that a thread entitled "Question for Taxi Users", asking for those users' opinions on a marketing idea, brings in Taxi Drivers giving ominous comments.

What else should i expect only to be stereotyped by somebody who knows nothing about me.

I am a taxi driver but I am also a taxi user so do I not have the same rights as you Chris to make comment?
    Maybe I am more qualified than you to answer his question taking into account my many years as a taxi driver and a taxi user without ever one complaint from my many many happy customers.

blahblahblah in my opinion made the post to antagonize taxi drivers given the current stress taxi drivers are under trying to pay the day to day bills.

I did not take his post serious as only a clown would post such a stupid thing.
    If he gets his jolly rogger off peeing off honest taxi drivers than so be it but expect those of us who know better not to take him serious.

By the way Chris taxis don't get dirty from taxi drivers and looking at your list of the bad things you came across... maybe it might best of if i keep mine about customers to myself.

I guess you can't please everybody .... but some of us do try.

Kajo get off your high horse. I posted the thread because I was looking for users perspective.
    It's called researching your sector.

U have just proved my point. If your struggling to pay your bills reduce your prices and u will have more cash in ur pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

You keep going on about race to the bottom. There is no race to the bottom the industry is already screwed supply wise so this is what ppl need to get them using Cars more.

The funny thing is not many would follow it cause there to stuck in there ways and would rather cause tears as u say, then keep them busier.

Fair play, was gonna post basically this. All taxi drivers are giving out they are not making any money then someone comes along with an idea to make money (For himself which is what all people care about) and they all just shoot him down. The prices for taxis are way to high as it is, people are making less money yet taxi's still charge the same price. Fair play to you mate and if you are already doing this or you are going to do it I would sincerely hope I see your taxi or you get up and running properly and I can order. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

kajo wrote: »
    What else should i expect only to be stereotyped by somebody who knows nothing about me.

Those weren't stereotypes, those were experiences. Very frustrating, sometimes upsetting experiences.

I am a taxi driver but I am also a taxi user so do I not have the same rights as you Chris to make comment?

Absolutely, comment away.

Maybe I am more qualified than you to answer his question taking into account my many years as a taxi driver and a taxi user without ever one complaint from my many many happy customers.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm answering the OP's question by saying, "I think it's a good idea and if I saw his taxi in the rank with that sign on it, I'd get in".

Despite your many years experience, I'm the only one qualified to tell you what I think.

blahblahblah in my opinion made the post to antagonize taxi drivers given the current stress taxi drivers are under trying to pay the day to day bills.

I don't read that into it, it comes across as a fair question to me.

I did not take his post serious as only a clown would post such a stupid thing.
    If he gets his jolly rogger off peeing off honest taxi drivers than so be it but expect those of us who know better not to take him serious.

I'm taking his question seriously and I'm answering it seriously and honestly. After that it's up to him to decide what to do.

By the way Chris taxis don't get dirty from taxi drivers and looking at your list of the bad things you came across... maybe it might best of if i keep mine about customers to myself.

I'm sure there are many ways a taxi gets dirty, but that's not going to stop me wanting to be in the clean one.

I guess you can't please everybody .... but some of us do try.

Fair 'nuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blackleg
    What is a blackleg?

Victor wrote: »
    What is a blackleg?
    What is Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is Google?
    I asked a simple question, I would like an in-context, decent and accurate answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The only thing that within reasons matters is the fare, if it is only myself or myself and one other, I have a prefererence for taking a car over a minibus or passenger van. But any discount and I couldnt care less, its not like the current choice of taxis ranges from Lada's to Maybach's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

OK ! You've convinced me !! ...discounting is the way go !

What do you all think of my new sign ? Will you get in my car instead of BlahBlahs ?

4481627467_6924984fce_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

OK ! You've convinced me !! ...discounting is the way go !

What do you all think of my new sign ? Will you get in my car instead of BlahBlahs ?

Yes, if you were driving around with a "50% off all fares" sign I would. This is supply and demand. I don't understand why most of you don't understand this most simple of economic principals. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I use Taxi’s quite frequently for both short runs (home to village about 10€) and long trips (about 70€) and the frequent airport run. In fact most regular drivers of my local cab company really appreciate getting my long runs as it pays their base fee.

Now when I’m in town and want to go home I walk to the rank and pick any taxi I want because I don’t want to spend the next 30 minutes in an old smelly car or a 6 seater. I pick a car I like and I don’t care if the other drivers moan about it. I’m entitled to choose any taxi at a rank.
    Am I entitled to choose any taxi at a rank?
    Yes, as a consumer your can choose whichever taxi you would like to travel in.
    http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html

In other countries taxi companies are allowed to set the fare of their taxi’s (Sweden for example) and it has helped because people choose the company they want to make business with, get a quality car and a knowledgeable driver with service. Not to mention that in Sweden drivers like to take cards rather than cash which I really like as it helps bookkeeping.

So blahblah06 if I see you at the rank and your car matches my requirements I would choose you for my journey home at least ones to test your service. If the service you provide is not up to what I require (i.e. you take the long way home or your car is not clean enough) I won’t use you next time because a 20% discount is not worth an unpleasant or longer journey in my book. Otherwise next time I will use you again or as others pointed out ask for your card so that I can call you if I need you.

I want a clean car that make the journey comfortable, a driver that knows where places are and takes the best route (not always the less in km, but it might save time) and is able to have a nice chat with. And especially for the long runs a credit card payment is appreciated because it keeps my cash flow up until I get reimbursed.

I’m all for competition and if a company/driver is providing me with the service I want I stick with them because it's good for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I know a driver who uses older cars on the basis that if it looked too good the customers would think he is making too much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Dai John wrote: »
    I know a driver who uses older cars on the basis that if it looked too good the customers would think he is making too much money.
    I know a driver who claims to use older cars, but actually can't afford to buy anything better since no customer would take a ride in his older car by choice.

snappieT wrote: »
    I know a driver who claims to use older cars, but actually can't afford to buy anything better since no customer would take a ride in his older car by choice.

He should ask the 2010 Merc taxi drivers to point out what hes doing wrong then :D

• Advertisement

He should ask the 2010 Merc taxi drivers to point out what hes doing wrong then :D

I don't for one minute think that anyone using a 2010 Merc for taxiing is doing so based on the income from taxiing...simple as that

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I don't for one minute think that anyone using a 2010 Merc for taxiing is doing so based on the income from taxiing...simple as that

So you think someone with another well paying job, which is enough to afford a 2010 Merc is just doing taxiiing for the craic. I dont think so.
    Either there is enough money in the taxi business to afford a 2010 merc or there is enough money in the taxi business to attract someone on already good money from another job into it.
    Either way, it looks like a good business to be in - if you know how to adapt and use your business skills as the OP is.

So you think someone with another well paying job, which is enough to afford a 2010 Merc is just doing taxiiing for the craic. I dont think so.
    Either there is enough money in the taxi business to afford a 2010 merc or there is enough money in the taxi business to attract someone on already good money from another job into it.
    Either way, it looks like a good business to be in - if you know how to adapt and use your business skills as the OP is.

Believe me or believe me not, it doesn't matter, but there are people who do drive taxis just to have something to do and get away from 'er indoors. I know of one retired bank manager who drives a late reg Merc. in Swords, not because he needs the money but just because he'd be bored off his trolley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I'd get into a taxi that had a sign on it saying "I wont talk about the taxi regulator"

Advertisement