Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator cable and surge protection?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

hi,

In the middle of building a house and there is a large generator at the back (parents live next door) which I'm going to run a cable from to the new house. I am putting in a lot of environmental controls so if the electricity goes and the generator kicks in I need to protect it from a surge. Does anyone know what the best way to do this is and where would I get Surge protectors to put on the cable?

many thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you might be able to feed the sensitive equipment through a UPS if the genny is fairly large

some of the newer gennys have avr/inverter technology for electronics

afraid i don't know too much

what type/size genny

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

thanks for the reply. it's not your average generator -- 30kba, thing could run a small village! any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there are units you can have installed on your consumer unit (fuse board) by Hagar, there are a couple of threads about them here, they to me would be the best option as they are tidy and they sit beside the main board and catch most things. I'd still have a UPS installed for expensive items, generators can do terrible things to some electronic equipment, as you may know already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055407329&highlight=HAGAr
    Steve wrote: »
    I was going to suggest using Himel or similar if you just need a bog standard box - Hellermann Ireland supplied them, not sure if they're still arounf though.

The Hagar stuff is not bad as well. I used to deal with Reg Rarrell Eng a fair bit, good crowd.

Rittal is a premium make with no end of accessories for this type of work - it's pricey though PCAS is / was the supplier.

http://www.demesne.ie/ is another good source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

mains surge protection combined with local ups might be enough

is the genny 3-phase i assume it is

you can fit voltage regulation on the mains but it would be expensive,dunno is it needed

undervoltage shouldn't be a prob with 30kva

Advertisement