Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Climb Paint

• 26-03-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am sick to death of m neighbours little F***ers climbing over my back fence when no one is home and breaking and steeling things from my garden.

Their mother is totally un approchable a worse than her brood, I want to smear anti climbing paint all our the top of the fence and give the little bleaders a shock, and hope fully that stops them

Problem is where can I get anti climbing paint, have tried B&Q no luck there.
    Or do any of you folks have any suggestions on another solution.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Dirty oil and grease on top of a wall used to keep me out of gardens when i was a young brat :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

+1 on the grease. however you r fence is also their fence. so if the brat tramps grease back into their house you could be in trougble for wrecking their frce tooo

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Martron wrote: »
    +1 on the grease. however you r fence is also their fence. so if the brat tramps grease back into their house you could be in trougble for wrecking their frce tooo

No it is my fence, I deliberatly built it about six to eight inches back into my property, I payed for it all with no going halves like some people do.

So not their fence, my fence on my property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

aido 1976 wrote: »
    No it is my fence, I deliberatly built it about six to eight inches back into my property, I payed for it all with no going halves like some people do.

So not their fence, my fence on my property.

Barbed wire on top of it or strong glue with broken glass mixed into it. It's not your problem what happens the little feckers if they try to get over it then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

mfceiling wrote: »
    Barbed wire on top of it or strong glue with broken glass mixed into it. It's not your problem what happens the little feckers if they try to get over it then!!

It will go to court if anything happens.
    and you WILL be found negligent by the judge. This has come up before and in this state is not acceptable.
    Its better to use non injurious methods of repelling trespassers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Anti-climb paint can be bought in MRCB near Tivoli theatre in Francis Street. But Homebase/B&Q should have it as well....

Just be careful when applying it. If you have arkward spots to reach on fence, get a radiator roller plus 4inch sleeve.If I were you don't just put paint on fence, before you do I'd warn the neighbours first plus put up some sign. Take a photo also to say sign was up. At least your covered that way...

Once it gets on clothes or hands its a pig to remove....

Goodluck....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I got some in Woodies.
    I used it to good effect on a panel fence.
    I found that the kids father came out and cleaned the stuff off with an old rag and threw it over my fence...
    Point made... they don't climb on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

Looking for trouble using glass, barb wire etc. No need to go buying paint though. A tube of grease and you will be laughing and they will not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Single strand of wire along the top - electrified via a standard electric fence generator. The kids will come to no harm so there will be no cause for legal complaint, but the kiddies WILL stop trying to climb over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cnocbui wrote: »
    Single strand of wire along the top - electrified via a standard electric fence generator. The kids will come to no harm so there will be no cause for legal complaint, but the kiddies WILL stop trying to climb over. :D
    Its Illegal to use electrified fencing in urban areas.
    Don't get me wrong when I hear about the shyte that some of you have to put up with, I would be thinking along the same lines, but in this country solicitors and bad law stack the chances against the person trying to defend themselves from scum.
    Just make it so their expensive tracksuits get greasy and they won't be so keen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was not being very serious, hence the smilie. I didn't know about the prohibition in urban areas.

Sounds like a cheap tub of grease might be the best solution. Given the rain in this country, a marine grade grease might stay in place a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

^^ Me neither;)

Waste oil or a mixture of creosote and dog shít smeared on top of it might give them room to pause for thought in future!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

dig a 10ft trench on your side of the fence.
    when they jump over just go back out and fill it back up again.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Melodeon

This stuff:
    Castrol Fifth Wheel Grease

Horrifying goop that is utterly waterproof and stickier than... erm... an extremely sticky thing.

All the oil/grease companies carry a similar product, and you'll get it in motor factors that cater for the haulage industry or from a friendly trucker. It's a basic maintenance item for articulated trucks, so it's pretty widely available.

Obviously, be certain that whatever you put it on is definitely your own property, and don't put it somewhere you're likely to accidentally encounter it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

Get a dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Careful how and where you put the anti climbing paint, there may be local regulations etc

Linky

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they had it in woodies yesterday

Advertisement