Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Carlow town missing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Dboy85 wrote: »
    quinnsworth/super quinn

You realise that Quinnsworth is now Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Nead21 wrote: »
    im not sure its the live music that some carlow people dont support, i think its more a case of the venue tbh. i wont go to the music factory

I started out from college working in Music Management before I went to Event Management. Music has always been a passion of mine and I would walk over hot coals to see a band I liked. You can put aside a dodgy venue, because you will be with your friends and will ultimately have a great night. At 45 years of age I will and have stood in a **** filled field to see a band I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

It may be a moot point as I may well be going back to live in the U.S. in August, but I said it on a previous thread about Carlow. Carlow needs the following; Marks & Spencer. I'm tall and wide of girth and love their food.

Burgerking. I was so disappointed when Supermacs opened a drivethru. Ditto on the love of food weather tis good or bad for me. Supermac already have a presence in the town.

A quality bookstore maybe with a coffee shop attached, I'm not fussy. A bookstore probably has the hardest job due to the internet. There may well be a tendancy for people to check out books and their prices, then run home and order off Amazon.

Someone already mentioned a decent steak restaurant and mentioned Ripleys in Kilkenny. I couldn't agree more. If I want a really good meal in this county I go to Sha-Roe in Clonegal. A restaurant I would put up with the best in any town or country.

Back to food again. I would love a gourmet foodstore or quality deli. In fairness there are few in the country never mind Carlow but somewhere to get different ingredients, or fresh Paté would be nice.

Again on food. Carlow needs a bakery. Sadly the bakery, and I've forgotten its name on Potato Market off Tullow Street is gone. I would hate to think that its demise is due to the proliferation of Cusine De France in the supermarkets.

A truely decent wine store would be most welcome. I'm not talking about O'Briens but a store that sells quality wine at a fair price. There are a few dotted around the country but there seems to be none in Carlow.

A Timberland and a Hugo Boss store, but now I know I've entered the realms of fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

:eek:
    Please list the respectable amenities for older teenagers and young adults...
    Sure we have the dome ..oooh..bowling and arcade games that are a good 30min walk from the town centre. Although thankfully we (finally) have a decent cinema, however thats about all that I can see is available for us.

We have 2 parks, one which I wouldn't dream of walking through even in the day! Hanover park needs to be seriously looked at and re-developed.
    There are no motivational areas for the young people of Carlow town to meet up/hang around. The fountain and the entrance of fairgreen shopping centre where the bicycle racks are seem to be frequented by loiterers. I cannot blame them, however sometimes this can be intimdating especially to the elderly of the town.

There should be emphasis on encouraging the youth on entertainment outside of the pubs and clubs of the town. Maybe more of a focus to be made on joining or supporting the local teams.

An area specifically for adolescents. Possibly a skate park, as often when groups of youths decide to head to the park people often assume that they're 'up to no-good', a playground in Carlow town (not Graigcullen), more public seating around the town(3 on Tullow St, 2 @ the fountain,2 @ back of Superquinn,2 @ potato market -none near Fairgreen). Better parking facilities particurlarly in Haddens carpark.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

maccored wrote: »
    a decently proper live venue, where actual original bands play. something along the lines of dolan's in limerick. nobody in carlow would support such a thing of course - you just have to look at the demise of the music factory to see that.

I played in the Music Factory twice.. bot times a few years ago (when it was open.. has it closed?!?) - there were some very good bands playing those nights & there was 3/4 punters at both gigs. Lowest attendances I've ever seen at any gig.

Have to say though - the 3/4 peeps were mostly appreciative. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i can guarantee I was one of the three ;-) - making sure your sound was a dodgy as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

A hospital!!!!

But given your looking for retail ideas I suggest a good maternity clothes store. Wife is due 2nd baby in a couple of days time and on both occasions has found it difficult/ near impossible to find decent maternity clothes in Carlow. And lets face it recession or not people are always going to have babies though it would seem in recession that people are having even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alex Swan

In response to the poster who said irish and cheap dont go hand in hand, local businessmen can compete and its this fear of the bigger fish in the pond that closes the locals down, Two i can list are Swans supermarket and Swans Electrical both are locally owned are are very competitive with tesco,aldi,lidl,currys,etc .
    I say power to the Irish business people and the more people with an attitude like yours only pulls them down,negativity never results in productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Alex Swan wrote: »
    In response to the poster who said irish and cheap dont go hand in hand, local businessmen can compete and its this fear of the bigger fish in the pond that closes the locals down, Two i can list are Swans supermarket and Swans Electrical both are locally owned are are very competitive with tesco,aldi,lidl,currys,etc .
    I say power to the Irish business people and the more people with an attitude like yours only pulls them down,negativity never results in productivity.

I take it that there is a commonality here between the username and the firms highlighted!

To suggest that Irish retailers were not screwing the general public until recently is ridiculous especially when you consider the price variances that were in play just across the border. There was a whole spiral dedicated to screwing the Irish consumer, by both national and international firms/service providers, that has only been recently addressed due to the prevailing economic circumstances as evidence in the price of electrical goods and cars.

I accept that certain overheads prevail in this country in terms of insurance etc. but they don't explain away the price variances that existed until recently cos if they did we would still have those pricing structures as there has been no change in those overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Steady on..

I dont believe he said the Irish retailers were not screwing the GP.

More so IMHO he said they are in a position to be able to compete with the larger forgein companies and if this is so well fair play because these are the same companies you are saying have been able to considerably lower their prices to suit the big R.
    I take it that there is a commonality here between the username and the firms highlighted!

To suggest that Irish retailers were not screwing the general public until recently is ridiculous especially when you consider the price variances that were in play just across the border. There was a whole spiral dedicated to screwing the Irish consumer, by both national and international firms/service providers, that has only been recently addressed due to the prevailing economic circumstances as evidence in the price of electrical goods and cars.

I accept that certain overheads prevail in this country in terms of insurance etc. but they don't explain away the price variances that existed until recently cos if they did we would still have those pricing structures as there has been no change in those overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Why has no one developed the water and lakes in Carlow as a tourism attraction?
    Think of the tourism that could be brought into the place, if you did that. You could do adventure weekends, horse riding, water sports, and then may be a spa treatement.

I hope someone comes up with a great idea that will take off in Carlow, hire me on, so i dont have to spend 4 1/2 hours a day going to Dublin to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

car wrote: »
    Why has no one developed the water and lakes in Carlow as a tourism attraction?
    Think of the tourism that could be brought into the place, if you did that. You could do adventure weekends, horse riding, water sports, and then may be a spa treatement.

I hope someone comes up with a great idea that will take off in Carlow, hire me on, so i dont have to spend 4 1/2 hours a day going to Dublin to work!

Carlow doesn't have any useable lakes, most are only man-made ponds built on the grounds of a few estates (Oak Park, Rathwood), none of which are suitable for water sports.
    Perhaps more could be done with the rivers, especially riding, walking, fishing, canoeing or boating. None of them are wide enough to safely cater for fast activities such as water-skiing or jet-skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

leincar wrote: »
    I started out from college working in Music Management before I went to Event Management. Music has always been a passion of mine and I would walk over hot coals to see a band I liked. You can put aside a dodgy venue, because you will be with your friends and will ultimately have a great night. At 45 years of age I will and have stood in a **** filled field to see a band I like.

If you ever need a hand id walk over hot coals to get experience.. im doing a marketing course at the mo but i really wanna get into event management.. :pac: thanks for the consideration ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A decent record shop. I mean an actual record shop that sells vinyl and CDs as opposed to a shop that sells games, consoles and mobile phones and has one shelf of crappy chart CDs . And one with staff that know how to look after the products they sell. Every CD I've bought from Roxy Records has been covered in dust and with damaged covers. One was so bad it wouldn't even play. I refuse to buy anything there now so I have no record shop to go to.

Also a decent musical instrument shop. There's only one here and it's useless. I went there one day and they didn't have a single acoustic guitar for sale.

And maybe a supermarket that sells decent vegetarian food.

There's too many of the same kind of shop here. How many pubs and takeaway restaurants does one town need?

it doesnt have much big names in retail at all, where is the tommy hilfigure shop, timberland, jack and jones, diesel, fcuk shops etc shopping for decent clothes in carlow is a nightmare, could also do with a successful sports team where the town or county could get behind every week, weather its rugby, gaa, soccer etc

There's a Jack and Jones in the Fairgreen shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Im being far from negative here Mr Swan. I think you misunderstood my earlier post. Im not saying you or your business falls in the bracket of "rip off Ireland", in fact I agree that you are very competitive espically with electrical goods.
    The point I was making in an earlier post was that buying Irish is, as most people know, very expensive and for no apparent reason. And as soon as we say no to being extorted all of a sudden we're "not patriotic" or as you say "negative".

Im a local business man also and I promote the "small fish" who is trying to be competitive for local people. But I, like many, wont be taken advantage of or be bullied into paying a higher price for the same goods while being branded unpatriotic and negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭emick

We have the Most of the big names in retail, we have a respectable variety of amenities, but what are we in need of? Are we in a position where we dont need any more business,is everyones needs catered for? If somebody was to give you €1,000,000 to invest or start a business in carlow town what would you do?

Walk around Carlow for an afternoon and you can see the amount of vacant retail space. Some of these new 'shops' have never had tenants and have just been sitting there empty for years. There are shops closing every week in Carlow and there are number of retail parks with big vacant lots after existing tenants have closed......where Dunnes Stores is located for example. Would the 'somebody with a million' want it back I wonder? How many of those 'big names in retail' will be here in 2 years time apart from Tesco, Aldi and Lid. This is not a good time to invest a million quid in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the best time to invest in anything is in recessionary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭emick

Thousands of square feet of empty commercial/retail space is just a sign of bad planning and easy money. They are not empty because of a recession....they should have never been built in the first place. Thats what bad planning and easy money has done for Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Also a decent musical instrument shop. There's only one here and it's useless. I went there one day and they didn't have a single acoustic guitar for sale.

i find it hard to believe that with a whole wall of acoustic guitars on display in Iminmusic, they didnt have a single one for sale! :rolleyes:

for some good vegatarian food, have you tryed Hennessy's on Dublin St? granted they're not a supermarket, but they have excellent food for sale that's all freshly made.

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    i find it hard to believe that with a whole wall of acoustic guitars on display in Iminmusic, they didnt have a single one for sale! :rolleyes:

for some good vegatarian food, have you tryed Hennessy's on Dublin St? granted they're not a supermarket, but they have excellent food for sale that's all freshly made.

I meant a purely acoustic guitar. I once looked and all they had was about ten or eleven electro-acoustics with piezo pickups, which wasn't what I wanted. I asked did they not have a purely acoustic guitar and I got looked at like I had two heads.

I haven't looked in Hennessys yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Vegetarian? Meat is what has allowed us to become seperate from the apes. Why do you want to regress to a monkey?

funny_monkey%5B1%5D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Seamus Clancy

Peats World of Electronics! I paid €99 fir an Ionega 500Gb Desktop Hard Drive ib a Carlow store. The drive was available in Peats of Parnell Street for €59.95 recently., so I snapped up a spare drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Peats World of Electronics! I paid €99 fir an Ionega 500Gb Desktop Hard Drive ib a Carlow store. The drive was available in Peats of Parnell Street for €59.95 recently., so I snapped up a spare drive.

For €20 you could have gotten a 1TB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Seamus Clancy

Which reinforces my point about Carlow needing a Peats outlet!
    Irish owned, good range of stock at great prices ideal for students and all other computer/electronics fans.
    I know the guys at Click are spot on at giving great advice and excellent customer service but the product range is limited and specials are often out of stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 russman82

Great new restaurant opened in the new VISUAL arts centre in carlow called [EMAIL="LENNONS@VISUAL"]LENNONS@VISUAL[/EMAIL]. lovely casual food and good prices too! check it out well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Lennons used to be on Tullow St and the food was really tasty ...glad to hear its still getting good feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

testicle wrote: »
    Vegetarian? Meat is what has allowed us to become seperate from the apes. Why do you want to regress to a monkey?
    Bad example there. All apes, humans and monkey alike, are omnivorous. Both eat veg and meat, it's just that our bigger brain enables us get more of it. That chimp in your picture will kill for meat if he can get it so we're not that different after all :D.

I'd like to see a dedicated fish shop that sells that morning's catch, fresh kippers for breakfast mmmmm. Superquinn's fish counter is probably the best in town but selection is still limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

carlow town is surely missing a proper bus shelter in the bus park! the matal shed that is there is a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

A prison :)

Big f*uckoff prison like Portlaoise has! That'll show them!

Advertisement