Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swans supermarket comments?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi guys,if any of you have ever shopped in swans supermarket on the hacketstown road in carlow would you mind letting me know how you felt about it? Where you heard about us and would you come back? No comments are too harsh and any feedback would be much appreciated,just trying to see how i can improve things! I wouldnt mind hearing some good feedback too, to ease the blow as such!
    Regards
    Alex Swan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

use it all the time. Very handy, but then i do live just around the corner. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's a place i have been to before nothing wrong with it. It has wholesaler feel off it alright but that not a problem.

I see the ad's in the nationalist and think "yeah i must call back in there" but never do and possibly cause it's just that little bit of the beaten track plus my relatives never go into carlow so it's never a case where somebody say' "oh swans are selling......."

My only suggestion might be to put up some signs near lidl roundabout to remind people of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I think the staff are very friendly and helpful. You should def advertise more, i had forgotten about ye, there for a few months, only when I ran out of washing powder I thought of ye.

If you def advertise more, it might get a few more new customers up to you.

Maybe you could do a deal for parties such as a create of minerals, box of crips, sweets, paper plates ect... you might get a few mammies & Daddies up for kids Bdays, who knows they might stock up on other stuff while they are up there too!

Why not give out a few free firelogs when people buy coal and blocks off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Couldn't fault you any time I've been there. I think your company would benefit from a more central location in the town, there are opportunities of cheap locations opening up due to other companies closing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

have never been to swans but any company/owner that comes on looking to be reminded of faults and how they can improve has to be a good thing. will done in listening to customers and other people in the locality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Any company/owner that comes on looking to be reminded of faults and how they can improve has to be a good thing.

+1

I didnt know it even exsisted to be honest and im a Carlow man! Will make a consious effort to shop there in future as I appreciate local business men makin the effort to improve. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Who? Where? Never heard of you. I work down on O'Brien Road and would go to the Super??????value in Pollerton/Lidl/Aldi. I don't buy the Nationalist or listen to Carlow radio.

Get one of those human sign pointers or an advertising bike to work the roundabouts.

Start a facebook page "Friends of Swans Carlow" !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

I was only over there on saturday evening and I was explaining to my OH who had never been before all about your place! It was great as we're setting up our new place and needed all the cleaning stuff etc. Keep up the good work and we'll be back for the coal and briquettes as soon as we have someone to collect them for us-brilliant value! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Offer a delivery service for shopping and firing. Have a website to purchase goods off. E-shopping is the way to go! If you need help with a site let me know...im such a pimp:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i use ye alot, and think the place is great, the only critiscim i have is your pricing, i.e sometimes things don't have prices on them, or the prices are confusing as to exactly what they're referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I use ye quiet alot especially for dog food and cleaning materials

I am originally from Tipp and everytime I head home I have to bring a car boot full of stuff home with me :D

I would also second the suggestion above for combo offers such as crate of minerals, crisps, tub of jelly sweets for a set price.

I also think that there needs to be more advertising done as it is mainly word of mouth and from Nationalist that people have heard of the store. Maybe some ads on the likes of Beat FM wouldn't go astray.

Personally we have a solid fuel stove and the one thing that ye are missing is a decent brand of coal suitable for stoves such as the Galtee fuels ecobrite. etc or a wider selection of coals other than just polish coal.

overall. very happy with the place

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Use it a lot,, helps alot with weekly shopping bill ,,great for the kids drinks for lunches tea and sugar and cleaning products etc,

Cant find any faults here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Id sack all the staff Alex, bunch of wasters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

patrickc wrote: »
    i use ye alot, and think the place is great, the only critiscim i have is your pricing, i.e sometimes things don't have prices on them, or the prices are confusing as to exactly what they're referring to.

I have to agree with patrickc as regards the pricing. I was in this morning and I bought some quality streets for my business to give out as freebie. They were marked wrongly (muffin price).

regards,
    zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Swany you belong in PR bud.. hope your studying for our exams.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 darren1980

Zeppi wrote: »
    I have to agree with patrickc as regards the pricing. I was in this morning and I bought some quality streets for my business to give out as freebie. They were marked wrongly (muffin price).

regards,
    zeppi

That's a problem with a lot of supermarkets in Carlow. The till receipt never matches up with what you remember on the shelf.

As for Swan's - never even knew you were there, and I've been living in Carlow for a few years. You should consider leaflet drops through letter boxes, as I never buy the Nationalist, so your advertising just doesn't reach me. A website would be good, even if you can't order from it - list special offers that week, maybe - give me a reason to drive out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 djan73

Can anyone tell me what has changed here? :mad:

Why is Swans not open to the public anymore?

I've always loved this shop, the savings are great. I really miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hi Alex, a regular customer, you have improved the selection of goods immennsly. Big signs round the town, big signs! Another idea, a few people downtown handing out flyers or vouchers for a small amount off selected items, just to get them in the door. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

djan73 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what has changed here? :mad:

Why is Swans not open to the public anymore?

I've always loved this shop, the savings are great. I really miss it.

Heard a rumour that, because they were operating out of an industrial estate, they could not operate a retail outlet ( due to zoning laws etc..) That is why they are no longer open to the public:(

Not 100% on this though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Heard a rumour that, because they were operating out of an industrial estate, they could not operate a retail outlet ( due to zoning laws etc..) That is why they are no longer open to the public:(

Not 100% on this though..

Could also have been that because they were selling to the general public they would have to put two prices on every item one for trade and one including the vat for retail customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

Can't anyone sign up for the little card to be allowed shop there though?
    I used Swans the whole time, Bought coke and kinder buenos there every week, then sold them on in school from my locker at lunch time. Made about €50 a week. Without it I'd have been broke to be honest, Loads of students are at it in secondary schools! I stopped now though as the school copped on and I have the Leaving Cert soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I thought that Swans were forced to change by the Town/County Council, that they could only sell to businesses now. And that the TCC/CC were put under pressure by local businesses. Albeit, I may be completely wrong also.

I am still going into it, I think some things have become more expensive. The 2L of milk have gone back upto €1.15, in Luigi's the milk is still €1 for two litres. Things like the large washing detergents have gone up a few euros in price. Their fruit and veg is till pretty good: quality & price.
    I do a lot of baking so the catering packs of all that stuff is a lot cheaper. Whereas other stuff is cheap in the supermarkets on special offer.

All you need for a card is a Vat number, and no proof is needed for the Vat number. And they let you in if you say you forgot it.

Advertisement