Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliocht- Irish(H) oral Exam

Options
  • 26-03-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know if you can write words(pronounciations etc..) on the sliocht that you bring into your oral irish exam?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Yes you can, you are entitled to write your own pronunciation notes on the sheet with your sliochts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Yes you can write anything you want down! you can write your exam number, date of birth etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Really? So I know there's one passage with something like "1876", so I could write on the sheet going in how to say "1876" in Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Ca bhfuil mo dheinms dubha agus m'umbro top??? Ispini uimhica is scealoga!

Sorry..

Yep, as far as I know - it's A-OK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Is féidir, ar ndóigh.

When I was doing my oral I used sliochts that had nothing written over them- I found it too distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Thanks for your replies,Thats great news, i will need all the help i can get!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

yeah we bring the book in with us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I nearly know all of the sliochts off by heart because i've been sayin them so much! I only write in the pronounciations that I think i'll have trouble with but it's really handy that you can write on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

u can bring a piece of paper with the sliochts only written phonetically if ya want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

TBH i wouldnt right too much, you dont want to clog up the page...just write over the words you are struggling with!

When i did mine last year she asked me which ones i liked....

So i said "1, 3, 5, and 7 ;)!

Then the bítch says "ok.....number 5!"

EDIT : Sorry just realised i had written 10 for some reason:confused:

It was just that i really wanted 7, and made that quite clear to her... I thought she might have been nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

can they ask u ones u havent prepared?

Nope. You go in, you tell them the 4 (or is it 5?) that you have prepared, and they have to ask you one of them.

neil_18_ wrote: »
    TBH i wouldnt right too much, you dont want to clog up the page...just write over the words you are struggling with!

When i did mine last year she asked me which ones i liked....

So i said "1, 3, 5, and 7 ;)!

Then the bítch says "ok.....number 10!"

In the LC? They can't do that. You should have complained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    In the LC? They can't do that. You should have complained.

Just edited my post sorry for the confusion:o

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Just edited my post sorry for the confusion:o

Oh right hahahah. Can you imagine that? :D

"Em yeah I prepared numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4"
    "Ok...do number 10"
    "But - "
    "Do it!"

I prepared 1, 3, 9 and 10. Really wanna get asked 10. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Write whatever you like, just don't be squinting to read in between all the writing is my only tip. Say the 5 you are doing and they (we!) just randomly pick one! Doing two full weeks of it this year as am on maternity leave, I'll be sick of those sliochts but if it is any consolation marks very easy to pick up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

d"ullamigh me sliocht a haon,cuig,deag,haon deag agus tri deag!
    our teacher told use first to do the first five,but we had an oral for mock and every changed them as they found like sliocht 8 and 10 easy and shorter.
    then she gave out to us for doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Do we have to prepare four or five of them?

Write whatever you like, just don't be squinting to read in between all the writing is my only tip. Say the 5 you are doing and they (we!) just randomly pick one! Doing two full weeks of it this year as am on maternity leave, I'll be sick of those sliochts but if it is any consolation marks very easy to pick up there.

You'll be sick of them, imagine how we feel. :p I'm practicing them everyday. If I have to say ca bhfuil mo dheinms dubha agus m'umbro top again I will bloody explode. :mad:

Apologies if that came across badly but in fairness they never change them, well haven't in years anyway! Point in case is how easy the marks are for this part, Labhair Liom does them really well on the CD. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

Couldnt you then potentially write notes for other parts of the exam..

e.g When ever I get asked in class 'what subjects do you do?' I can never think of them all...not that I dont know them in Irish...just cant say think of them (even in english) under pressure.
    If I'm allowed to bring in a sheet with notes on it...couldnt I write out the list of subjects I do and then when I get asked them Covertly look down at the sheet?

No, we can and sometimes do ask to see the sheet if we suspect that. You'd immediately fail. Just simplify your subjects...it's not an information exam, it's a language exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Hi guys i was just looking over my sliochts today and was just wondering do we have to introduce them? Like for example "sliocht a hocht as.......le........" ? Or does it really matter?

just introduce it id say.its normally expected off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Hi guys i was just looking over my sliochts today and was just wondering do we have to introduce them? Like for example "sliocht a hocht as.......le........" ? Or does it really matter?
    Yes this is important, I'm not sure how many marks you would lose for forgetting to do this but it must be a few anyway because our teacher always makes us

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

eoins23456 wrote: »
    u can bring a piece of paper with the sliochts only written phonetically if ya want

you can't jus bring in a sliocht with the phonetics...the dept wont allow it and neither will the exaaminer......(i am a LC irish teacher)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

Stryderman wrote: »
    Yes this is important, I'm not sure how many marks you would lose for forgetting to do this but it must be a few anyway because our teacher always makes us

you may lose up to 10 marks for leaving that out.......VVVVVV IMPORTANT

they were doing it a the year before last in are school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 megstak

does any one no where i can geta a sliocht with the phonetics on top to help me say it last year i had a teacher that gave me bril notes for sliocht one and two im in a huge class now and am notes arnt the best ... !! would rly help.. ..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

the Shortcuts to Success Irish Oral revision book do it and provide a CD also

Advertisement