Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

c.b.t. ireland

• 26-03-2010 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Hey new to biking got my theory test Saturday. I'm going bike shopping next week l. I read some stuff about a c.b.t.(compulsory bike training). So is it in place already or is there talks of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Still talks as far as I'm aware, though the insurance companies including my own are offering discounts if you undertake training.
    IMO, you should take a days training in any event, it will stand to you as it did me.
    No crashes and 91,000 miles under my belt in 7 years. Best lessons were the Bank holiday Monday with Fasttrac training, don't know if they are still around but there are many others.
    Best of luck in your endeavours and of course the test which has changed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I remember scare stories going around when I done my theory a couple of years ago about needing 12 lessons before being aloud on the road. 12 lessons would probably cost as much as your first bike. Not sure if anything was brought in in the mean time but I haven't heard of any min requirements so far.

It's worth getting lessons anyway though. You'd be surprised what you can learn over a few hours with a good instructor even if you think your confident enough already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Ya I'm getting lessons definetly but at a reasonable price. from what I read the c.b.t. will be way to over priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

deisedave wrote: »
    Hey new to biking got my theory test Saturday. I'm going bike shopping next week l. I read some stuff about a c.b.t.(compulsory bike training). So is it in place already or is there talks of it.

CBT not in yet, its put on the back boiler for another while.

Before buying a bike, have someone with you who knows about bikes, and for cheaper insurance get a factory restricted bike (33bhp)

Ya I was thinking about a 100cc scooter or maybe a 125 at the biggest not to sur2 yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

alright deisedave, what part of waterford ya in. Ill give you a hand picking one out if ya want. Up in hillview meself.

Originally from pearse park, living on manoeuvre street now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Seany is the man, very nice helpful guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

so he's getting a bandit then :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Tigger wrote: »
    so he's getting a bandit then :D

:D

Fair play Seany

• Advertisement

Originally from pearse park, living on manoeuvre street now
    I know pearse park. Where the fook is the other place lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

seany you have trouble find the pub ffs :D:D

Ya I'm getting lessons definetly but at a reasonable price. from what I read the c.b.t. will be way to over priced

reasonable price wat would you call reasonable ?
    there is a lad in cork will charge €40 hr and its 1 to 1
    there is another lad will charge you 300-400 for a days training and you could be one of 4 on bikes to one instructor

jjust to give you an idea wat they are like

i got a small bit of an idea already and some people i know can help with the learning. the 40 euro lessons seem decent enuff :pac: , and manor street is by harveys pub i live right across from harveys pub ya gotta know there.:cool:

i got a small bit of an idea already and some people i know can help with the learning. the 40 euro lessons seem decent enuff :pac: , and manor street is by harveys pub i live right across from harveys pub ya gotta know there.:cool:
    Course I do lol. Ya spelled it funny in the other post I didnt have a clue what you where on about lol. 40 a lesson is very cheap.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Course I do lol. Ya spelled it funny in the other post I didnt have a clue what you where on about lol. 40 a lesson is very cheap.
    Ya sorry I'm using my phone sometimes and it uses predictive text so I miss it sometimes when it miss spells words

Ya sorry I'm using my phone sometimes and it uses predictive text so I miss it sometimes when it miss spells words
    your grand boy. I do the same meself. Any idea of what kind of bike ya want?

he wants a bandit you know it i know it aand soon he'll know it :pac:

you're in good hands there mate buy seany piint from me

your grand boy. I do the same meself. Any idea of what kind of bike ya want?

Well i started of wanting a 50cc moped. I did some research and decided it wouldn't be quite powerfully enough. So I was thinking maybe a 100cc scooter or a 125 if it wouldn't kill me on insurance. im 20 and don't got much money but need a mode of transport, I. Was looking at trying to find a bike for under one grand seen as its a firat bike and will prolly get damaged anyway

Tigger wrote: »
    he wants a bandit you know it i know it aand soon he'll know it :pac:
    Everybody wants a bandit .

Ill have a look around Dave, see what I can find.

Cheers I've checked out the places I know of like gumtree, done deal and biker.ie or something but not much there

• Advertisement

my second fav bike is a gsxr750M on flat bars with a small back sprocket
    basically the proto bandit

btw

this wouldda been 500

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=111465&page=2

so don't give up

my fav bike cost me 1200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

unfortanetly due to insurance quotes my only chance is going to be a 50cc moped, 80 cc bike, or 100cc scooter. For the first year i dont wanna pay more than 600 for the year and these are the only bikes that go below that pay bracket.

B.t.w. seanythebiker there is a bikeshop up in ballybricken across from blazen aces poker club. I was looking at scooters up there few nice ones you have any dealings with them.

thats marcus. I bought me first 2 bikes off him. I think he is well sound. Some people dont like him but he is better than hilton hinks anyways.

thats marcus. I bought me first 2 bikes off him. I think he is well sound. Some people dont like him but he is better than hilton hinks anyways.

btw do you know what top speed i could expect of a regular 50cc and is the acceleration really slow, really didnt want one this small but its one of my only choices atm.:mad:

btw do you know what top speed i could expect of a regular 50cc and is the acceleration really slow, really didnt want one this small but its one of my only choices atm.:mad:
    ah there **** slow man. You will have a laugh on em because they are so easy to drive but you will get bored easily. Would a 100cc be not the same group as a 125 cruiser insurance wise?

I thought it woulda been as well but I got quoted on a 125 and it was 350 dearer a year than the 100cc scooter, scooters are way lower to insure for some reason:pac:

Advertisement