Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Doors After Stripping Paint

• 26-03-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have stripped white paint from 3 doors and I am wondering what should I do to them next. I intend to go over them with a sander but should I treat them with some product before or after the sanding. If so what type of product should I be looking for? I intend also to stain them then varnish them.

I got all of the paint off but there seems to be some sort of small residue left in some places on the wood from the paint.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

I wouldn't be an expert but what i would do at this stage is give the doors a rub of white spirits with a rag this will have the same affect as when you varnish them, it will highlight the areas on the doors that will require further sanding.
    For the really stubborn bits of paint you could try using a piece of glass to scrape if off and sand well after.

Thin down your first coat of varnish with white spirits, suppose to seal the wood and varnish till your satisfied with the look of the doors ,two or three coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

Use nitromors if the residue is hard to remove .

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Thanks for the quick responses. I have some ntromore but was worrying about damaging the wood. A mixture of paint and thinners is also a good option for a first coat. it should give a uniform look.

thanks again for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatcyMcl

Wiping with denatured alchohol works well for removing residue
    favicon.ico PR: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico I: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico L: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico LD: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico I: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL][URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Rank: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Traffic: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Price: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico C: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]
    [IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/close.gif[/IMG]

Advertisement