Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Tobacco go out of date?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Does Tobacco go out of date? I ask as I have a few cigarettes in a box for "emergency use". IE: when I've not smoken for a a few days/weeks, but suddenly need one, and it's usually happens around the midnight hour when there are no local shops open (and I'd be too tired to drive).

Now, I know that I haven't bought a packet of cigs (I smoke rollies these days) for literally over a year. Probably more. So I'm wondering: when does it go out of date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Smoke on Rosco

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I found an opened 20 pack of Marlboro on top of my fridge last month that were there at least 3 years(they were yankee marlboro,that's how i knew) and i smoked them and they still tasted the same!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Supposedly they'll remain fine as long as they're sealed. But otherwise they'll go stale after a while.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mrbruno

I gave up for 3 months. Suddenly had a huge craving one night, found an open pack that had been lying in a drawer for the 3 months, smoked 2 of them and whatever happened got sick 2 or 3 times. For months after i couldnt smoke or even be near someone smoker without feeling like hurling. Not sure why, maybe I just assosiated it with getting sick after. However it stopped me smoking so maybe wasn't too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Once the pack isopened they go stale - I smoked half a pack of stale Carrolls once - tasted like dried cow shyte !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

All tobacco will go off eventually if not preserved properly. Cigars of 50 or 60 years old are not uncommon but they have been stored in ideal conditions.
    I would guess that an old cigarete could be made smokeable again if you put them into a cigar humidor for a month or two to re-fresh them otherwise they are so dry as to be unplesent to smoke - harsh.

I have a pouch of rolling tobacco thats about 8 years old now. I might try putting a few rollups in the humidor and get someone else to do a comparrison tasteing (if I can manage to roll the dryed out tobacco :rolleyes:).

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement